"Who is this 'Mediaserver' and why is he sucking my battery dry?"

Search This thread

thyeme

Mar 5, 2012
Hi to everybody! So glad I found this post...hopefully this is going to give me some tips about that cause this is getting so annoying....
I own a nexus s i9020 (I know...wrong section..sorry) with ics 4.0.4 (I guess the last 4 doesn't matter) and I'm used to play some music with the official Google music app....after about an hour the mediaserver have taken the 30% while the music app only takes 20%....
Any advice about it?!
Thanks

Last edited:

Cobra281

Mar 9, 2009
have we found out yet what apps use mediaserver? i'm running CM7 and don't have mediaserver. but then again, i have google fm and the stock music app removed.

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
I couldn't find the cause either. I was on AOKP Build 25. First I noticed the Gallery and Music weren't showing any existing files on the sdcard. Then the phone was always warm, a couple media processes were sucking up all the CPU causing my battery to go down quickly.. What I did which solved the issue was backed up all the important files (pictures, music, titanium backups, etc...) to my PC, reformatted the sdcard, wiped, reflashed the ROM, problem solved.

Reactions: EEngineer

JDubbed

Feb 18, 2011
A temporary solution to the devious mediaserver!

I couldn't find the cause either. I was on AOKP Build 25. First I noticed the Gallery and Music weren't showing any existing files on the sdcard. Then the phone was always warm, a couple media processes were sucking up all the CPU causing my battery to go down quickly.. What I did which solved the issue was backed up all the important files (pictures, music, titanium backups, etc...) to my PC, reformatted the sdcard, wiped, reflashed the ROM, problem solved.

As much as I know reformatting usually solves all problems what prevents the problem from reoccurring if we do not know what caused it to begin with? If the problem happened before it will most likely happen again and when It does I want to be ready for it.

Anyways no luck from GAMEVIL or Watchdog dev. I did however find an app called "System Tuner Pro" that actually sees and identifies mediaserver as a kernel based process and is located in /system/bin/mediaserver. And get this...DUN DUN DUNNNN!!! System Tuner Pro also allows me to kill the stupid process!!! WHOOHOO! Funny thing...when I am playing Arel Wars, which is the culprit behind my mediaserver taking up all my memory, and then switch over to System Tuner Pro and kill mediaserver I can then switch back over to Arel Wars continuing where I left off. So in other words mediaserver does not seem to have a direct impact on the game otherwise the game would error out or close if Arel Wars depended on mediaserver.

Is this a permanent fix? Nope. But it allows me to kill mediaserver and clean my memory without having to perform a reboot every 5 minutes while playing Arel Wars. I have tried contacting the dev of System Tuner Pro about the problem in hopes I will get a solution, information or somehow to tweak System Tuner Pro to auto kill mediaserver at a certain point. Since it is considered a kernel base process System Tuner Pro will not allow me to put it on auto kill. I will let you know If I get a response.

Also I have been able to get in contact with the dev of a task killer app called "Auto Memory Manager" which seems to be interested in the problem since the app cannot detect mediaserver. I will you keep you all informed.

Bottom line this is just a temporary solution but its a lot more then what I have been able to find on other forums. Also consider using an app called "Resource Monitor." It's free and it puts a little monitoring window with the available memory and used CPU in front of all windows so when you are playing a game or listening to music you will always know your memory and cpu so you can take action.

-peace

<EDIT>

By the way I am using stock 2.3.5 Gingerbread which is probably important that I mention. ;P

Last edited:

thyeme

Mar 5, 2012
As much as I know reformatting usually solves all problems what prevents the problem from reoccurring if we do not know what caused it to begin with? If the problem happened before it will most likely happen again and when It does I want to be ready for it.

Anyways no luck from GAMEVIL or Watchdog dev. I did however find an app called "System Tuner Pro" that actually sees and identifies mediaserver as a kernel based process and is located in /system/bin/mediaserver. And get this...DUN DUN DUNNNN!!! System Tuner Pro also allows me to kill the stupid process!!! WHOOHOO! Funny thing...when I am playing Arel Wars, which is the culprit behind my mediaserver taking up all my memory, and then switch over to System Tuner Pro and kill mediaserver I can then switch back over to Arel Wars continuing where I left off. So in other words mediaserver does not seem to have a direct impact on the game otherwise the game would error out or close if Arel Wars depended on mediaserver.

Is this a permanent fix? Nope. But it allows me to kill mediaserver and clean my memory without having to perform a reboot every 5 minutes while playing Arel Wars. I have tried contacting the dev of System Tuner Pro about the problem in hopes I will get a solution, information or somehow to tweak System Tuner Pro to auto kill mediaserver at a certain point. Since it is considered a kernel base process System Tuner Pro will not allow me to put it on auto kill. I will let you know If I get a response.

[.........]

ok ive got system tuner pro now....where do i have to go to find the mediaserver process? cause i cant find it....my battery is just dead so i couldnt have a big look around in that program! :p
However what you're saying is that i have to kill that process manually everytime i use apps that icrease the memory used by mediaserver?!
so basically every time im listening to some music (that's what make the percentage of battery used by mediaserver HUGE!!) after like a minute i should go to System user pro and kill the mediaserver process right?!

EDIT

I tried to do what you said killing the merdiaserver process through system tuner pro but if I kill it the music just stops and I can't play anything until media server appear again.... :(

Last edited:

JDubbed

Feb 18, 2011
Mediaserver did not have a direct effect on the game Arel Wars however it does not mean it will not have a direct effect on something else like your music player. In your case, once you are done with listening to your music and you notice mediaserver is stealing all your memory you should be able to kill it using System Tuner Pro. However if you kill it while your listening to music and your music player counts on mediaserver obviously your music will stop playing. So basically kill mediaserver after your done with your music but only if mediaserver is using up tons of memory. By default mediaserver should be using between 2mb and no more then 10mb while idle.

I did delete mediaserver in /system/bin/ and after a reboot my phone would not boot. Thats a whole nother thread...but it would seem that you phone requires mediaserver to operate at least on stock so don't do what I did and delete it.

I will keep updating this thread as I learn more. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

S

status_six

@JDubbed - cheers, may well have deleted mediaserver as you did if not for your post!
Definitely PowerAmp is in the list of apps triggering this.
Some conflict between app and ICS maybe as not an issue for me on GB.
I tried killing both ms process and pa app in STP. Also froze pa app and removed from startup list only to find it running after reboot.
I lost >10%/hr battery after using pa for approximately 1hr this morning, instead of normal 1-2%, the only thing that resolved this was uninstalling PA completely.

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
I just noticed this problem on my ASUS Transformer so I did a Google search and found this thread. I've been running Poweramp since day 1 on my TF so I hesitate to put cause to it. My hunch was that it might have something to do with the new Googleplay though I have nothing to substantiate that.

Update- I found an app called Mediaserver http://www.prosyst.com/media/MediaServer/MediaServer-Docu.html
I sent them an email:

Hi,

I just noticed unusual large battery drain on my ASUS Transformer while in sleep mode. The battery history shows Mediaserver as the culprit. I never heard of Mediaserver before and never installed it. The Transformer is a DNLA compliant device out of the box.

Can you help me solve this terrible battery drain problem?

Thank you.

Marc

Last edited:

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
Update- I found an app called Mediaserver http://www.prosyst.com/media/MediaServer/MediaServer-Docu.html
I sent them an email:

Hi,

I just noticed unusual large battery drain on my ASUS Transformer while in sleep mode. The battery history shows Mediaserver as the culprit. I never heard of Mediaserver before and never installed it. The Transformer is a DNLA compliant device out of the box.

Can you help me solve this terrible battery drain problem?

Thank you.

Marc

Appears to be a different app:

Hello Marc,

Thanks for the screenshot. Our media server should show up with mixed case "MediaServer", while the one below is "Mediaserver", so I'm pretty positive that its a different app. Perhaps you'd be able to identify the vendor if you download some app that shows more app details, including the system apps.

Best, Sinisha

hittingsmoke

Nov 21, 2007
I thought I'd chime in here with a results report.

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and noticed Mediaserver was always the 2nd app on the battery usage list hovering just over 15%, only below Screen and always above the idle and standby processes.

I came across this thread out of curiosity and dropped .nomedia files in my Podcasts, Ringtones, Notifications, Alarms and various Downloads and app folders.

It almost immediately dropped to 5%, down to 4% now. Going to keep monitoring it throughout today and looking out for apps with media that in folders that need to be tagged.

EDIT:

So this significantly reduced the Mediaserver battery consumption when idle. However, after a couple hours of podcasts through DoggCatcher, it's up to ~25% but slowly creeping back back down now that I'm not listening. I'm guessing the process does more than just scrape for media files while there is active media playing.

Last edited:

Moronig

Dec 2, 2010
Curitiba
I was having the same problem, but putting .nomedia in selected places seems to have solved it. Note: it's normal for the cpu usage of mediaserver to go up when the phone is turned on, or fight after USB storage is turned off: that's when it's scanning for new media, which I think it also does periodically.

tronmech

True, but there are cases where a slightly unusual picture, soun, or movie file causes mediaserver to loop. Haven't seen it yet on ics, but it was certainly there on Froyo (which I was using when I started this thread).

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

graigchq

May 14, 2012
OK folks, here is what I have found. First post for me, although been using the excellent threads on this site to enhance my usability of various androids for a couple of years now.

This media server thing, it's not a new issue, but it does seem to come and go, and I believe the reasons are several.

I never saw it before, because I used Winamp, and have recently discovered that I prefer the stock music app, and then this started. I regularly reflash my ROM (currently latest Dorimanx ROM for my HD2 - CM7.2 GB 2.3.7)

I think it is to do with m4a's, and AAC type media. I found that a recently installed app put a m4a in a notification folder on my SD card, and even after reformatting, reflashing, this was causing mediaserver to use loads of battery.

Putting a .nomedia file in lots of locations except your Music and Pictures folders seems to have fixed it. I can now listen to music and don't see the media server process hitting the top of the battery use list.

Another "workaround" is a reboot, then don't go anywhere near media apps, it seems it only kicks in when you start listening to music or browsing photos in the gallery.

Really hope this helps someone more skilled than me to come up with a more permanent solution.

TTFN

ossee

Sep 14, 2010
Winterswijk
Guys what do you mean with
.nomedia files? What type of files are they? Where do I find them and where should I place them?

Thanks in advance

Ossee

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

graigchq

May 14, 2012
This really isn't fixed, or worked around for me at all. I have tried reflashing, and putting mp3's on one album at a time, I have tried with or without the stock media app, I have tried with winamp (which is what i used on my old ZTE blade, with none of these problems) and there is DEFINITELY something that causes this.

How many other people are seeing this problem? I mean, what I get is using OS Monitor, when mp3's are playing that the "system" process uses 45% or more CPU, and "media server" creeps up and uses more battery than anything else.

Really doing my head in, love to know what exactly is causing this, or how to stop the process somehow.

golo83

Apr 10, 2012
i get this too and dont know what to do to get rid of it. I have to listen to music...but how to get rid of that system wakelock mediaserver issue...?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just solved a really annoying battery drain issue. Figured I'd post the results...

I noticed last week that my phone was going through the battery MUCH faster than normal. A check of Settings/About Phone/battery use told me that the "Mediaserver" was using over 35% of my battery, surpassing the phone standby -- which is saying a LOT given what my T-Mo reception is like.

Now, I'm still learning, so when the description says is does something with running apps, I assume that the issue is an app I recently installed, so I remove apps I recently installed or updated. Nope.

I saw another post about a laggy G2 that seemed to also have battery issues. It recommended using Watchdog Lite to see what was happening. So, off to the Android Market.

After installing Watchdog Lite, I saw that the CPU was 0% idle with 75-95% "nice." Well, no idle = battery suckage, so off to see what tasks are using CPU. The initial check didn't show anything -- until I enabled monitoring "Phone Processes." The alerts for the "mediaserver" "linux task" showed that this process was taking every cpu cycle it could. Off to Google.

Did a search on "android mediaserver loop" and found a couple of bugzillas that essentially said that a corrupt media file (pic, movie or sound) could send mediaserverover the edge. So, I started to move *every* picture off the sd card onto my computer's HD.

Knew I was on to something when mediaserver stopped going crazy once usb storage was turned on. So, I moved all the image and movie files off and turned off usb storage. The CPU spun back to100% busy, but slowed back down to about 9o% or more idle.

Now all I have to do is find the bad file or files, and I can add it to the bugzilla.

EDIT: It seems that this has also made the cooliris gallery wake up and start updating again. So anyone seeing that the gallery isn't updating may need to see if their mediaserver linux task is unusually busy. If so, offload as many media files as possible and see whap happens...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    A temporary solution to the devious mediaserver!

Also I have been able to get in contact with the dev of a task killer app called "Auto Memory Manager" which seems to be interested in the problem since the app cannot detect mediaserver. I will you keep you all informed.

Bottom line this is just a temporary solution but its a lot more then what I have been able to find on other forums. Also consider using an app called "Resource Monitor." It's free and it puts a little monitoring window with the available memory and used CPU in front of all windows so when you are playing a game or listening to music you will always know your memory and cpu so you can take action.

-peace

<EDIT>

By the way I am using stock 2.3.5 Gingerbread which is probably important that I mention. ;P
    "mediaserver" and "Android media process" (media scanner) mixed up!

Hi!

I have been experimenting a week or so with this problem and here is what I have found so far:

I have read many threads about and a common problem seems to be that people mix "mediaserver" and "Android media process" (media scanner) processes. I replied here because JDubbed seems to have analyzed the correct mediaserver problem.

First I tried all the suggested tricks (putting .nomedia files everywhere, removing sd card, checking mp3s for corruption etc.) but I found that the problem is not the media scanner that people mistakenly think as a mediaserver. I used Watchdog to figure this out. When you unplug USB, the "Android media process" starts and it will use over 50% CPU time for a minute or two, depending how much stuff you have in your phone. It is true that corrupted files might slow this process down, but after a minute or two, the process is gone. It is not the source of the major battery drain and will not show as Media Server in the Android battery stats (it will show as Android system).

Android media process
    Screenshot_2013-03-02-14-25-59.png

However, the significant problem seems to be the background process called "mediaserver". This is an Android background process that is used on media streaming and playback. It will not show in Watchdog stats unless you you include phone processes in preferences. This is the Media Server you see in battery stats.

mediaserver
    Screenshot_2013-03-02-14-19-58.png

Once triggered, this process seems to stay running forever using same CPU time. I can only get rid of it by rebooting or killing it with System Tuner. I have found a lot of stuff that triggers mediaserver staying in the background. In the list of apps and games I use at least: Dungeon Hunter 3, Soundcloud and Mixcloud. So it is related to streaming media and/or playing audio. It also seems to eat more and more CPU time and RAM the longer you use these apps, like JDubbed found out. The problem is that even the 1,6% CPU time in the above screenshot is preventing my phone to go to deep sleep. It will cause 7-8% battery drain in an hour instead of 2-3% in deep sleep. Constantly raising CPU and RAM amount seems like a possible memory leak to me (it might be just a bugged app instead of bugged mediaserver process), but there might other reasons too. I am now starting to test different I/O schedulers. Maybe some schedulers just don't give media server any CPU cycles when CPU intensive app is running and it crashes while waiting. Anyways, I am running out of ideas and wanted to share this :) Maybe this will spark a new idea from someone.
    the .nomedia method is an ancient method to keep media scanners and such from cataloging contents of a folder in regards to music/picture/NES-SNES roms/etc.

Though instead of actually creating the file, you can simply go into adb shell:

Code:
    touch /location/to/place/.nomedia

It'll simply create an empty file of that name there.

you can always check the content of a folder with ls -a (-a is for 'all')

Just be weary of where you put it, and often the media server doesn't suck down your battery unless you're constantly mounting/unmounting the SD card and adding new stuff.

ALSO you do not have to put it in every subfolder, if you place it at one level, it applies to all subfolders under it.

Furthermore it helps to actually configure your applications, QuickPic for example lets you include/exclude folders from being queried.
    Probably you have corrupted music/picture file(s) on your sdcard. Search for them and delete - should help.