FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

add some features without flashing custom rom?

338 posts
Thanks Meter: 42
 
By rhcreed, Senior Member on 7th March 2013, 08:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Love my N7, running stock rom (rooted and unlocked).

Is there any way to bring in some features (like the circle battery, or the recovery/reboot options in shutdown menu) from other roms without having to flash the whole rom?

My phone is old and abandoned by it's manufacturer and carrier, so I don't mind flashing it, but the N7 is still supported so I would like to stay official. These are some very useful features I would love to incorporate if they are available as apk or flash able zip addons.

Thanks!
7th March 2013, 08:29 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Lake Charles LA
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcreed

Love my N7, running stock rom (rooted and unlocked).

Is there any way to bring in some features (like the circle battery, or the recovery/reboot options in shutdown menu) from other roms without having to flash the whole rom?

My phone is old and abandoned by it's manufacturer and carrier, so I don't mind flashing it, but the N7 is still supported so I would like to stay official. These are some very useful features I would love to incorporate if they are available as apk or flash able zip addons.

Thanks!

this post has an add in for reboot options for the stock rom. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771307
7th March 2013, 10:45 PM |#3  
BrianDigital's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks Meter: 335
 
Donate to Me
More
but keep in mind, adding extra feature will probably bork an OTA.
7th March 2013, 10:59 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
ROM toolbox by jrummy will help with some of what you want. The shutdown menu wont be possible via the route you want though I'm pretty sure
7th March 2013, 11:13 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDigital

but keep in mind, adding extra feature will probably bork an OTA.

This. If you're modifying the stock ROM you might as well go with a custom ROM as far as OTA's go.
8th March 2013, 01:00 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,049
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDigital

but keep in mind, adding extra feature will probably bork an OTA.

It's also worth noting that - via the use of nandroid backups - that it's never an "all or nothing" deal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a pure stock ROM "waiting in the wings" in the form of a complete Nandroid backup. When an OTA rolls out, you:

- back up your current ROM
- restore the older pure stock ROM from backup
- take the OTA (guaranteed to work!)
- take a Nandroid backup of the new version of Stock
- (restore custom recovery if needed)
- restore your custom ROM (from the Nandroid backup in first step), and then decide what you want to do about the OTA on this customized variant of stock.

That gives you the flexibility to revert to the current version of stock anytime you like - or use it as the base ROM for your favorite customizations.
8th March 2013, 02:35 AM |#7  
BrianDigital's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks Meter: 335
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: add some features without flashing custom rom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0

It's also worth noting that - via the use of nandroid backups - that it's never an "all or nothing" deal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a pure stock ROM "waiting in the wings" in the form of a complete Nandroid backup. When an OTA rolls out, you:

- back up your current ROM
- restore the older pure stock ROM from backup
- take the OTA (guaranteed to work!)
- take a Nandroid backup of the new version of Stock
- (restore custom recovery if needed)
- restore your custom ROM (from the Nandroid backup in first step), and then decide what you want to do about the OTA on this customized variant of stock.

That gives you the flexibility to revert to the current version of stock anytime you like - or use it as the base ROM for your favorite customizations.

Why are you quoting me?


Sounds like a lot of work to sit and wait for an ota, which don't come at specific time. Usually a nice person will compile a stock ROM, long before some users will get an ota notification.


I don't need the information why not quote the op, brah

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
8th March 2013, 03:12 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,049
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDigital

Why are you quoting me?

Because I can. There; I just did it again

Actually, the reason I quoted you was because I was responding to your point about customizing stock ROMs possibly jeopardizing application of OTAs. Quite true; but not a show-stopper for anyone willing to prepare in advance. And given that the device in question is a Nexus device, it is a virtual certainty that there will be more OTAs coming down the pike.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDigital

Sounds like a lot of work to sit and wait for an ota, which don't come at specific time. Usually a nice person will compile a stock ROM, long before some users will get an ota notification.

You don't need to "wait"; you only do this at the time a new OTA comes out. Prior stock backups are just sitting there doing nothing until that time arrives. BTW, The current 4.2.2 "dev-stock" ROMs on this site can not accept OTAs because they have been zipaligned - none of the system .apks have hash checksums which match the factory files (even though they are functionally identical).

In addition to the previously mentioned advantages, someone that does this also has pure stock backups available to retrieve files from in the event they want to hand-patch their customized ROMs so they can get a failing OTA to "take". *That* is in fact a back-asswards way of doing things, but every time an OTA comes out, you observe a flood of stupid "please somebody give me file such and such" in this forum. That behavior comes from a lack of forethought and preparation (additionally made worse because Google pulls the *prior* factory install images well before the OTA has rolled out fully).

cheers ... and feel free to quote me
8th March 2013, 11:01 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Bonn
Thanks Meter: 305
 
More
AW: add some features without flashing custom rom?
You can use "Pimp My ROM". You can find it here on xda. Works with stock too.
8th March 2013, 12:12 PM |#10  
hlxanthus's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,180
 
More
Re: add some features without flashing custom rom?
If you are running stock ROM, you can try these that I have been working on for the past week. I have a reboot menu among others.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38749260

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes