[UNBRICK][BETA] HTC Unbricking Project

Search This thread

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
try with this version of emmc_recover and let me know if you still get illegal instruction

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd Downloads
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ sudo ./revive.sh
HTC Unbricking Project M7_UL 0.5beta
Detecting bricked device..
Device can't be found, check connections. Aborting
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ sudo ./revive.sh
HTC Unbricking Project M7_UL 0.5beta
Detecting bricked device..
Accessing device on /dev/sde
Gathering data
================= emmc_recover 0.4 alpha 1 ==========================

Waiting device /dev/sde1.......
Found device!
Backing up partition /dev/sde1 to file p1.img
Backup ok

Waiting device /dev/sde19.......
Found device!
Backing up partition /dev/sde19 to file p19.img
Backup ok
Archive: 5.11.401.10.zip
inflating: fw/android-info.txt
inflating: fw/boot.img
inflating: fw/hboot_signedbyaa.img
inflating: fw/radio.img
inflating: fw/rcdata.img
inflating: fw/recovery.img
inflating: fw/rpm.img
inflating: fw/sbl1-1.img
inflating: fw/sbl1-2.img
inflating: fw/sbl1-3.img
inflating: fw/sbl2.img
inflating: fw/sbl3.img
inflating: fw/splash1.nb0
inflating: fw/tp_HMX852XD.img
inflating: fw/tz.img
Attempting revival on /dev/sde.
You have 10s to cancel (Ctrl+C) this operation
Unbrick process starting. Do NOT detach the device

Waiting device /dev/sde2.......
Found device!
62+1 records in
62+1 records out
127746 bytes (128 kB) copied, 0,0569367 s, 2,2 MB/s
Return code is 0
Okay

Waiting device /dev/sde11.......
Found device!
265+1 records in
265+1 records out
543122 bytes (543 kB) copied, 0,505817 s, 1,1 MB/s
Return code is 0
Okay

Waiting device /dev/sde12.......
Found device!
1023+1 records in
1023+1 records out
2096384 bytes (2,1 MB) copied, 0,929973 s, 2,3 MB/s
Return code is 0
Okay

Waiting device /dev/sde9.......
Found device!
156+1 records in
156+1 records out
321382 bytes (321 kB) copied, 0,0936322 s, 3,4 MB/s
Return code is 0
Okay
Unbricking complete. Please unplug the device and power on. do NOT close the terminal unless prompted
Wait for the device to charge to 100% and then flash the bundled 5.11.401.10.zip through fastboot. This ensures maximum firmware compatibility
Process complete.
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$

phone wont turn on still... but i let it charge for a few hours now! Guess the battery is dead... I will see. The phone is no longer recognized by pc... means no qhsusb_dload. As I said... we`ll see! Thanks for now!

If that finally works a couple beers will be send on the way to you!!

Last edited:

dragonesdenano

Jan 25, 2011
Lanus, Buenos Aires
Dexter, just gave me best happy birthday gift!!! Will send some love this nite too!! Your work has no price!!! :)
7ahe9ese.jpg

Using latest file u ve posted
Enviado desde mi HTC One_M8 usando Tapatalk 2

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
Just came back... nothing still... do you think its just the battery now?! Is there a way to trip the usb cable to charge the battery or do i have to replace it?

Nice to see that it works for others! Your work is really awesome!!!:good:

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Just came back... nothing still... do you think its just the battery now?! Is there a way to trip the usb cable to charge the battery or do i have to replace it?

high probablility of being the battery. Can you see any leds coming up? even faint ones. Do you have a working recovery in there? To boot the device, hold the power button with no usb cable attached for ~60 secs

Reactions: dragonesdenano

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
high probablility of being the battery. Can you see any leds coming up? even faint ones. Do you have a working recovery in there? To boot the device, hold the power button with no usb cable attached for ~60 secs

Unfortunately no light at all. I´ve played arround for a while now and my pc recognizes a unknown device for a few seconds. Nothing else...
I think I have to send it in anyway to get a battery thats pre charged so i can enter the bootloader. I had TWRP installed. If this didnt changed thru the process it should be still there

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Unfortunately no light at all. I´ve played arround for a while now and my pc recognizes a unknown device for a few seconds. Nothing else...
I think I have to send it in anyway to get a battery thats pre charged so i can enter the bootloader. I had TWRP installed. If this didnt changed thru the process it should be still there
9/10 it's the battery. Off mode charging is handled via recovery, so if that's busted from there, then you need to open it up and charge the battery manually ( hooking up a 5V charger will do it), or swap it with a charged one. Currently I'm not writing to recovery.. but looks like I'll have to include that as well if recoveries are broken. Can you spot that unknown device in dmesg from linux?

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
9/10 it's the battery. Off mode charging is handled via recovery, so if that's busted from there, then you need to open it up and charge the battery manually ( hooking up a 5V charger will do it), or swap it with a charged one. Currently I'm not writing to recovery.. but looks like I'll have to include that as well if recoveries are broken. Can you spot that unknown device in dmesg from linux?

Sorry, im not that andvanced linux user. what should the command look like?

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Sorry, im not that andvanced linux user. what should the command look like?

Once system is booted, run sudo dmesg -C. This should display and clear the current dmesg output. Then plug in device and run dmesg. If it sees anything, it should show some log lines. Copy those and post for dexter.

You could also do an lsusb while phone is disconnected, and then another after connecting.

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
Once system is booted, run sudo dmesg -C. This should display and clear the current dmesg output. Then plug in device and run dmesg. If it sees anything, it should show some log lines. Copy those and post for dexter.

You could also do an lsusb while phone is disconnected, and then another after connecting.

Thanks!

Thats the output:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dmesg -c
[ 399.001194] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 17 using ehci-pci
[ 404.077354] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -71

If i enter the command again:

[ 409.257299] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 409.433165] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 18 using ehci-pci
[ 414.509362] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 419.689335] usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 419.865312] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 19 using ehci-pci
[ 425.273022] usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 19, error -71
[ 425.345068] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 20 using ehci-pci
[ 430.752876] usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 20, error -71
[ 430.753014] hub 1-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3

Hope that helps!
Thanks again! And sorry for all the trouble

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
It doesn't appear that your device is in QHSUSB_DLOAD mode any more. Not sure what else can be done at this point.

yes like i said earlier. As i see it, the unbrick worked. But yeah... the battery seems to be dead and can not be charged the normal way. i will put it at the wall charger for tonight and see if theres any chance to get it back on. if not i will send it in for a battery replacement.

softappz

Aug 17, 2008

Hi BanBoo,

It's not charging while attached to a pc, Use a wall charger and the orange light will start to blink ..... (hopefully)

dragonesdenano

Jan 25, 2011
Lanus, Buenos Aires
yes like i said earlier. As i see it, the unbrick worked. But yeah... the battery seems to be dead and can not be charged the normal way. i will put it at the wall charger for tonight and see if theres any chance to get it back on. if not i will send it in for a battery replacement.

I had the same... No lights till i unplugged and hold power for a while, obviously zero % battery was the problem, then turned on, all ok.

Reactions: BanBoo

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
I had the same... No lights till i unplugged and hold power for a while, obviously zero % battery was the problem, then turned on, all ok.

Strange thing is that its gets warm if i plug it in... like it always did when i charged it. I will play around a bit und hopefully i feel the rumble ;)! Really thank you guys for being so present :)!

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
Strange thing is that its gets warm if i plug it in... like it always did when i charged it. I will play around a bit und hopefully i feel the rumble ;)! Really thank you guys for being so present :)!

HTC devices used to have a function where that if the battery had run flat out, it would not turn on until it hit around the 30-40% charge mark, including no LED's if I remember correctly from the HTC Sensation. Its possible that this is still the case for current HTC devices but I'm not 100% sure on this. Your best bet is to leave it plugged in to a wall charger overnight.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OP status: [WIP]

This will fix devices which were bricked due to firmware incompatibility. This can be caused with the way HTC handles the firmware updates in it's m7's OTAs. If you've been flashing from a 3.x firmware to a 5.x firmware via OTA, or manually, you most likely have a device stuck in QHSUSB_DLOAD. This tool is for you

Currently supported devices: m7ul.
    Prerequisites
    • the appropriate package for the device
    • a supported bricked device
    • a usb cable
    • fastboot
    • distro utils: md5sum, strings, tail, grep, unzip ( all included in most linux distros)
    • some basic linux experience
    • root access on a linux machine
    • patience
    DISCLAIMER: We do NOT guarantee that this method will work for you, or that it is flawless. We are also not responsible if your phone is completely dead after the procedure, or your house burns down because your phone exploded. You are doing this in YOUR OWN RISK.

Instructions

1. Boot the linux box and download the appropriate package for the device.
    2. Remove the sim card from the phone. Do not connect yet
    3. Extract the package in your working directory
    4. Open up a terminal and cd to that directory
    5. Run revive.sh as root and connect the device
    Code:
    sudo ./revive.sh

The procedure is automated. At the end of the unbrick process, you will need to charge the device fully and then flash one of the full firmwares bundled, as pointed from the script. This is crucial to ensure device stability.
    Notes on the procedure:

• You will need to power on the device manually when the script prompts you. To do so, hold power button for ~60secs
    • USB3 ports might not work properly. Please plug the device in a USB2 port if you face issues
    • If your firmware is unsupported, please grab p1.img and p19.img from the working directory, note down the error and contact us
    • This has been tested on S-OFF devices. Please let me know if it works on S-ON as well
    • This *should* fix other firmware incompatibilities too, as long as the device can be detected
    • The firmwares included are completely stock, including recovery. You are not advised to use others

Downloads

For HTC One (M7_UL)
    32bit MD5: c9b8c0ea1700edfda1d69a2491e59aa5
    Got my HTC bricked just like that in middle of a browsing session with 40% battery, this happened 2 days bak.

I have my all things set. Including the fastboot and root permission.

When i run revive.sh i am not getting the bricked device detected.

I am on Mac. Hopefully it satisfy the condition required here of a linux distro. As of now i have this m/c only no ubuntu..

I checked via tail -f /var/log/system.log (klog is diff in mac) , the following is there :
    Jun 5 21:05:08 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28336.614 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:09 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28336.675 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:20 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28348.651 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:20 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28348.660 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:21 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28348.871 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:21 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::message - kIOUSBMessagePortHasBeenReset.
    Jun 5 21:05:22 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized
    Jun 5 21:05:22 anirudhsmacbook hidd[48]: MultitouchHID: device bootloaded
    Jun 5 21:05:25 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28353. 35 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:25 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28353. 42 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:25 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28353.106 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending

I guess this is not searching for Qualcomm MMC storage as mentioned in the revive shell script.

Does that mean its not in correct mode ? or does that mean mac USB driver detection is diff.

Any feedback shall be appreciated.
    You can forget about any kind of support on mac. logging and usb events are different. Use a live cd or something

~~
    Also, updated the OP download with the new emmc_recover binary
    AFAIK "m7u" is GSM and "m7ul" is GSM+LTE.
    try with this version of emmc_recover and let me know if you still get illegal instruction