New LG Volt LS-740

Search This thread

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
Just got this phone from Boost, comparable to the HTC Desire (ZaraCL). Seems to be a decent phone!

Has anyone done any work with it yet, as far as rooting and recovery?

Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
This is such an old thread, but I just have to know if you really did this and what it turned out like. I agree with you on the whole slippery battery cover.

I didn't. Ended up leaving Sprint (good riddens) before I had a chance to modify it.
But from my research it turns out really good and it's reversible. If you don't like it, peel it off.
Most important thing is to do light and even coats for the best finish.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...5wo0OXWjSzHgOa7Dj3saWQ&bvm=bv.149397726,d.eWE
That's a video showing how NOT to do it lol, but it gives you a general idea
Not a fan of cases, because I never drop my phone and I hate the extra bulk. Do it and let me know how it goes :)

nickisneato

Mar 18, 2017
Please read, I need help!

(Sorry for the long paragraph, just read the bold parts)
So I've been using my LG Volt on Sprint for quite a while now. I'm a pretty heavy user of my phone, and most of the time, I root my phone just so I can have more power for my device. Even before I rooted it, though, it started acting up, like going really slow in the menus, freezing up and restarting, all that good stuff. Then it kinda just stopped booting up. It seemed like it was loading the OS, since when I plugged it in to charge when it was off, it still showed my percentage. But it wouldn't boot past the Sprint screen. I then found out I was in a bootloop, which I don't know how it happened because I hadn't really done anything to mess with the system files (as I said before, this happened before I rooted). I installed a fresh ZV4 Firmware (I couldn't find anything better) with the LG FlashTool and I noticed the Sprint bootup animation wasn't there, and there was a stock LG bootup instead. Also, none of the Sprint bloatware was on the phone. I disregarded it, thinking I could just activate it later, and installed everything I had before, except this time, I strayed away from apps that didn't come from the Play Store. I did end up rooting the phone, because the LG Volt is on Kitkat, and I couldn't really do anything with my SD card unless I rooted. It was working fine, but then the same bootloop problem happened again. I got pretty upset, but I knew how to remedy the problem from before so it was an easy fix. Still, the Sprint bootup wasn't there, but I didn't pay notice to it yet again. This same problem has been happening much more frequently as of late. In fact, as I'm typing this, I just fixed it again. I'm thinking it might be a problem with the .tot and .dll files I'm using on the FlashTool, but I couldn't find anything better. I did a malware scan on the phone storage and my SD Card, and nothing came up, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

I really need help with these 2 problems (the frequent bootloops and the Sprint stuff not showing up), because every time the phone goes into a bootloop and I reset it, I lose everything I had on the phone! I hope someone can help me!
Thanks.

rtvelan

Feb 28, 2015
ls740 band 5 needed

Hi. After these many days have anyone got a solution to add band 5 to lg ls740 also anything on the gsm part. As to my info the phone has the primary level gsm hidden and that needs changes in the firmware it self. Only then it seems to have gsm enabled. There cant be anyother way to lock certain parts as its claimed. Its a part of the chipset and that cant be manipulated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks, I tried renameing Zone-Sprint.apk to bak, it but it still comes up

Hands Free Activation
    Waiting for Repy
    If you are not already working with a representative, select activate now

tries 5 times each boot

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

I went through 1 by one until I found it.

To disable the Hands Free Activation on the Boost Mobile LG Volt740 - rename the LGDMSClient.apk to .bak in the system/ app folder
    Nop, but I remember that happened when I started messing with gravity box. So I cleared the app data and took my time on selecting the only things I need. Everything is back to normal, just don't know what I enable inside the app to make the LG apps not usable.

But thanks for trying to help, :) now what's the benefit of getting the costume recovery? If I brick my device can I unbrick it since we have costume recovery?

Yeah, that is why you would want a custom recovery. However, having a custom recovery does not guarantee 100% brick protection. I'll explain what usually happens in your average "brick" event.

To understand this, you need to understand how Android works, which, this is the same with Linux and most other operating systems. When Android boots, the system immediately goes to the boot rom which immediately starts running the scripts and whatever else to begin the boot loader. The boot-loader then decides where it is you want to boot. If you're just starting your phone, it'll go to start the kernel, then the initializing scripts to run the system. If this is not where it goes, it'll go to run the scripts to run your recovery, or whatever other things it can run.

When we flash something, we're over-writing memory that is already on the phone forcibly. As you should well know, Android has a few partitions, /boot /system /recovery /data /cache and /misc. Boot, system, and recovery are considered Read-Only because they're the 3 most critical to making sure your phone works. /boot stores how the phone boots, loads the boot-loader, kernel, eventually leading us to go either into /system (your actual usable interface for SMS, phone calls, and facebook), or /recovery, where we can do maintenance. /data is where your apps and user data is stored. /cache is where a lot of system temporary files are stored and /misc is where a lot of system settings like region ID and what not is stored.

So. When we have a custom recovery, we are able to make images of most of these partitions. The recovery allows us to be able to flash these images onto the phone if for whatever reason one of them gets corrupted. From how I explained, you should be able to tell that /boot and /recovery then are two partitions that absolutely critical because /boot allows the phone to turn on and /recovery allows us to do maintenance if we mess something up by giving us the power to flash these images.

Now largely, if /boot or /recovery get messed up and if we take improper steps, we'll end up with a completely unusable phone. When flashing anything to /boot, which, usually you shouldn't have to, make sure that a new /boot image is actually on the phone (to the best of your ability) before you restart, otherwise, you aren't going to be able to fix this. If a bad recovery goes on, and prevents you from getting to recovery, depending on the phone, there may be some ways to get a recovery back on without needing to be in recovery. (You can't usually flash a recovery on while in recovery, so this one is fixable as well.)

So, learning from this, a very hard brick is when we have no /boot. At that point, we're pretty well ****ed and the phone is dead. Otherwise, with a custom recovery, it turns just about anything else that can happen into a soft brick.

Getting to the point: A custom recovery, as I said, is not a 100% protection against bricking your phone. However, it does allow us to fix just about anything that goes wrong with the phone via modding use. Root allows people to make changes to areas of the phone that we would otherwise not want changes to happen in. Some of these changes, depending on what you do, can result in a brick. This is because if a change was made in /system, and you try to factory reset using the standard recovery to fix it, android will delete the /data and /cache partitions and remake them based off /system. Which, at this point, you should understand that if /system is corrupt, that'll result in a non-workable phone. BUT, because we have our handy-dandy custom recovery, we can fix that. Because instead of just deleting the /data and /cache partitions, we'll just flash back on the old /system pre-changes. Which will result in a happy working android again.

That's why we want a custom recovery. Anyone who took the time to read this, please correct me where I'm wrong and clarify it.
    Since I am new to this thread, has any progress been made on that front?

I would say to read the thread, since I wrote a long post on the current state of the LG Volt. But to explain again, there has been progress made but we're kind of at a skill plateau.

User, danhalen1 I believe was the one who managed to crack the boot-loader and make it semi-usable. However, we have one big issue where the boot-loader isn't 100% open right now so we can't flash a recovery without getting a catastrophic error. We are able to run a live custom recovery (The same way you would run a live linux off a flash drive or CD), from what I've heard, that is capable of making images, I'm not sure about flashing images. You could call it half of a custom recovery, by all regards.

So, the problem we're facing is, there is just something in the code for the boot-loader that is not letting us do anything and no one is quite sure what it is. danhalen1, if I remember right, did say he was hoping someone more experienced would jump onto the LG Volt. This is honestly something we were all hoping for, but so far, I believe anyone more experienced is probably playing with higher end phones than the LG Volt. Even now, Virgin has the HTC Desire 816. HTC is very easy to mod, even having their own website to get a boot-loader unlock code from them. Considering the HTC Desire 816 also has better specifications than the Volt, it seems that more people are probably working on that. The Volt is nice, would be better with a custom rom, but unfortunantly, I don't think anyone with a lot of experience has any interest in the phone. We're kind of on our own over here.
    How many dang people in a row are going to ask the same damn thing? READ PEOPLE READ. Please people for the love of android learn how to use a forum.
    gonna try the new kk_root.zip file from the ioroot25 and try to use that instead of the update.zip file. just waiting on my sd card.