[APP] MobileWebCam (2G/3G/WIFI, no PC or UMTS router required!) v3.13

Search This thread

remery

Dec 5, 2008
Hi all,

We have been using Mobilewebcam for some time on a number of devices to monitor insect traps. I now see it is no longer available in the stores. Has _miha_ discontinued development? Is it still ok to download the most recent apk file from this site and install that with "unknown sources" checked? Or should we look at taking the source code to a contract developer?

Aleaba

Jun 10, 2012
I don't understand why he gives me that error: Skipping ftp Upload - Still locked (for 244746)! Network bandwidth too low for picture size?

bartman350

Apr 20, 2017
Dresden
Hello folks,
quite quiet for about two years here. I just found this app could be useful for me. After trying some others from Google play store I gave this one a try, also because it is (was ?) open source. The version 2.98 on F-Droid seems outdated, I found 3.13 from 2015 somewhere. Does anybody know if the latest source code is available somewhere public? Github seems outdated: https://github.com/dngames/mobilewebcam-android
I would try to fix some issues...
With Lineageos 18.1 (Android 11) on my OnePlus 3T the background mode does not work (I already disabled battery optimization for MobileWebCam). Also semi background mode does not work. This is also what I've read by others in this thread.
Maybe we could put some effort into this app.
Cheers, Heiko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of fine webcam (with video!) apps in the Market. But I found none which can be used with just a phone without any computer or wifi connection and placed in your car, weekend home, garage, ... to upload pictures to a server in defined refresh times. So I built this app. It is not finished but good enough for a lot of things.

For easy setup with a nice user interface have a look at sensr.net - they offer camera webspace and the ftp setup with MobileWebCam is very easy. For even more possibilities like gallery-hosting, hardware motion detection and housing have a look at opensmartcam.com ... they even sell or rent complete cameras based on MobileWebCam.

Edit: The app can now also automaticilly email the pics, upload to ftp or simply store them on sdcard. Also a manual mode is new for when you are running around taking pictures to be uploaded to your website/email account on the go with one simple tap.
    Dropbox usage also possible now!
    Invisible Background mode available now to save power or hide the cam. Autofocus can now be used in and the camera can be remote-controlled by sending SMS commands to your phone.

I will use this with an old phone with broken touch input (but luckily a dpad) and a simple free sim card wich has 30MB data traffic free/month (don't know if providers in other countries offer something like that). So I can have about 20 picture refreshes a day at a location with no WIFI or 3G (and of course no cable/dsl/...). FOR FREE! In the App activity times can be set so no black night views. No WIFI needed, just power to keep the phone running (I wonder how long it will last ;).

Also I use this with my main phone to quickly show my wife the kids playing on the playground, watch the garden when I am working inside and stuff like that. For this use case an email notification can be sent containing a link for her to view on her phone or pc at work.

Should run on Android 1.5 up (what causes the camera options to be very few and landscape mode only). So you can buy a somewhat broken phone on ebay (speakers not needed, display doesn't have to work well, ...) and have one of the easiest and cheapest webcam setups possible (I think ;) ...

For your personal website webcam you need a php capable server somewhere where the picture can be refreshed. There you have to place the two files (mobilewebcam.php and index.html) attached to this post. Since version 1.3 you can also sent the pictures to an email account or simply store them on sdcard. From version 1.6 on ftp upload is also possible.

This also can be combined with my WebLiveWallpaper App easily and your webcam is then visible on your homescreen background all day.

I have uploaded my webserver files for a simple gallery and timelapse video on a google code project: please let me know if you can improve it!

Most of the sourcecode can now be found at http://code.google.com/p/mobilewebcam-android/ ... so if you need special stuff simply add it yourself and publish your changes! Please help me fix all the bugs and send me a notice if you repaired or improved something. There is so much crappy hacked code in there ...

MobileWebCam
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dngames.mobilewebcam

How to build a housing for your phone with MobileWebCam:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/GSM-Android-phone-as-HD-outdoor-webcam/

Edit: version 3.09: Log from inside the app for logs from Android 4.3 on ... (new log permission required for older devices)

Edit: version 3.01-04: Focus mode selection, changed some internals, several crash fixes, zoom autofocus

Edit: version 2.9983: ftp upload for low bandwith/large pictures improved (set filename only after upload finished, skip upload if still busy with last), night time camera settings can be configured in camera screen by toggling to night configuration and then changing camera parameters, show last error in preview screen

Edit: version 2.996: Added some support for Samsung Galaxy Camera (1, 2, NX)

Edit: version 2.990: I restructured a lot internally - now multiple threads for work and upload - hopefully not totally broken! Also waits for gps now, shows more motion detection info, some repairs from reports (config.txt, crash on devices without wifi?, higher default cam delay, ...)

Edit: version 2.98: imprint picture scaling, all transparent colors can be set, sdcard delete old pictures, a little work on gps stuff

Edit: version 2.97: night auto stuff again, sdcard file broadcast to mediascanner, transparent colors can be set, camera deadlock for event trigger photo burst fix

Edit: version 2.96: night auto disable fix, sdcard path, imprint stamp picture downloadable from URL

Edit: version 2.95: night setup, camera open wait time for phone that otherwise produce overexposed pictures in the background modes

Edit: version 2.93: default exposure back to 50 (fix for darker pictures), front cam flip/rotate, possibility for trigger pause time, dropbox batch upload

Edit: version 2.92: fixed crash, made camera effect setting (zoom, exposure, white balance, color effect, scene mode) more interactive, fixed mirrored pictures

Edit: version 2.87: picture burst mode after trigger, moved broadcast receiver mode to event triggers, added event notification to email, added more camera settings (scene modes, color effects), timestamped httppost filename for opensmartcam

Edit: version 2.86: color stuff, alignment, ftp ending fix, background mode switch fix

Edit: version 2.85: shutdown, imprints, galaxy S camera error 0 fix, email trigger

Edit: version 2.82: ftp batch mode, small fixes

Edit: version 2.81: some new config crash fixes fixed, log, backup/restore, keep ftp connection + log frequency

Edit: version 2.76: more webinterface, config help, fullscreen preview option, fix for crash on large screen devices (sorry, I do not own one)

Edit: version 2.73: custom font and typeface added to imprint settings, crash fix for opensmartcam reg error

Edit: version 2.7: Welcome screen, remote control website (see config.zip), 2.71 fixes the original size picture upload if not enough memory

Edit: version 2.64: Nexus 7 frontcam only devices work now

Edit: version 2.63: dropbox authentication method changed to web

Edit: version 2.61: flashlight toggle 2.62 Actionbar for Android > 3.0

Edit: version 2.52: custom picture sizes (+fix from 2.51)

Edit: version 2.37: started to experiment with photo effects like instagram

Edit: version 2.36: webserver (wifi only) now also streams mjpeg, ...

Edit: version 2.3: integrated simple webserver (wifi only), added gps location to make interesting moving cameras, ...

Edit: version 2.2: two different background modes (depends on device, no advanced features working in hidden mode but less power)
    sorry for the flood of updates ... I broke it for devices without flash and then for all ... 3.03 is in store
    mobilewebcam instructions for new users (german language)

Hi,

after 3 weeks testing, wasting time and now using a new phone, after receive some help in this forum and by phone, i just wrote a simple instruction manual for new users to give something back to the community.

I write it in german language, because my english language is not the best. Maybe anyone can translate it?

I think it's usefull for some new users.

Best regards and thanks again especially to MIHA and ME-SYSTEME! :good:

Elton100
    Hey miha:

Though you'd need to tweak this to create random directories or accounts or whatever, I've got a pretty heavy duty Linux server with a fat pipe I'd be willing to let you tie your program into so people don't have to have their own server. Think it over, let me know.
    test version 2.57

Sorry for the incomplete fix. I hope this is ok now!
    Another crash in 2.56 removed. Also the "still alive" is moved to override every possible inactivity.