[Q] NOOb, Please Help (Regarding Flashing ROM's)

Search This thread

Dante1990

Jul 9, 2012
Hi XDA Community

Well i just need your help. I bought a Samsung Captivate Glide phone more than a year ago and now i think its time for flashing some ROM's since ICS is getting too old for me plus it is really battery and ram hungry. My phone really needs updating and i dont want to mess it through some wrong steps or process.

As i stated i am a noob and my only experience is Rooting my device with the help of XDA threads only.
I was hoping if there are people willing to help me in suggesting and flashing a good ROM (whether 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 if any) because i was reading all the threads related to flashing and seemed kinda lost. Please can anyone help in explaining and directing me in steps (from backup to full flashing of ROM). For now i cannot afford to buy a new phone so keeping up with my buddy i927 glide.

Please Please Please, any help will be appreciated.
Simple step will be Good enough.

Thanks in advance to the XDA community.

LaizureBoy

Jul 15, 2013
cadiz
Hi XDA Community

Well i just need your help. I bought a Samsung Captivate Glide phone more than a year ago and now i think its time for flashing some ROM's since ICS is getting too old for me plus it is really battery and ram hungry. My phone really needs updating and i dont want to mess it through some wrong steps or process.

As i stated i am a noob and my only experience is Rooting my device with the help of XDA threads only.
I was hoping if there are people willing to help me in suggesting and flashing a good ROM (whether 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 if any) because i was reading all the threads related to flashing and seemed kinda lost. Please can anyone help in explaining and directing me in steps (from backup to full flashing of ROM). For now i cannot afford to buy a new phone so keeping up with my buddy i927 glide.

The first thing you will want to do is get a custom recovery like TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) or CWMR (Clockwork Mod Recovery).
You can find TWRP here. It includes all of the information you need to get started using a custom recovery, and its a touch based recovery program.
If you'd prefer CWMR, you can find it here.

Now, you will need access to a computer (and ODIN) to install the first custom recovery you want to use.
Download the (newest) ODIN version (onto your computer) of TWRP or CWMR from their respective download sites, and place your phone into download mode by restarting it, and then holding the [UP] volume button when its rebooting.
Now, assuming you rooted your phone already, you should know how to use ODIN.

After ODIN completes, reboot your phone into recovery mode, and you should see that you are in the recovery that you wanted!

The next step is to get Nandroid Backup and make a backup of your phone.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE REQUIRED TO BACKUP YOUR DEVICE, OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESTORE YOUR PHONE!!!

Now, you should be able to download and install a ROM, and install it via recovery.

Note: You must wipe your phone! All of it! Otherwise the ROM may not work!

For TWRP, just place the Custom ROM you want to use in either the root of your sdcard or in your ext-sdcard, and select that file in TWRP. Flash the file. If the ROM comes with custom gApps (Google Apps) as well, you need to flash them after you flash the ROM.

I have to go now, and will edit this later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dante1990

The Dork Knight Rises

Mar 20, 2014
Mumbai
samriddhabasu.github.io
Hi XDA Community

I just checked out @stormdude124's guide, it seems pretty comprehensive. :)good: Nice work, bro!)
Just follow it.

(<--Remember to Thank @stormdude124 and ME ;) if this helps! :good:)

Dante1990

Jul 9, 2012
Thank you all for your replies, it really means something to me.
Well i found the guide you all are talking about after a few days and my phone is now loaded with Android KitKat 4.4.2.
Thanks again to each and every one who replied and all the Xda community for such impressive work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi XDA Community

I just checked out @stormdude124's guide, it seems pretty comprehensive. :)good: Nice work, bro!)
    Just follow it.

(<--Remember to Thank @stormdude124 and ME ;) if this helps! :good:)
    Hi XDA Community

The first thing you will want to do is get a custom recovery like TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) or CWMR (Clockwork Mod Recovery).
    You can find TWRP here. It includes all of the information you need to get started using a custom recovery, and its a touch based recovery program.
    If you'd prefer CWMR, you can find it here.

Now, you will need access to a computer (and ODIN) to install the first custom recovery you want to use.
    Download the (newest) ODIN version (onto your computer) of TWRP or CWMR from their respective download sites, and place your phone into download mode by restarting it, and then holding the [UP] volume button when its rebooting.
    Now, assuming you rooted your phone already, you should know how to use ODIN.

After ODIN completes, reboot your phone into recovery mode, and you should see that you are in the recovery that you wanted!

The next step is to get Nandroid Backup and make a backup of your phone.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE REQUIRED TO BACKUP YOUR DEVICE, OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESTORE YOUR PHONE!!!

Now, you should be able to download and install a ROM, and install it via recovery.

Note: You must wipe your phone! All of it! Otherwise the ROM may not work!

For TWRP, just place the Custom ROM you want to use in either the root of your sdcard or in your ext-sdcard, and select that file in TWRP. Flash the file. If the ROM comes with custom gApps (Google Apps) as well, you need to flash them after you flash the ROM.

I have to go now, and will edit this later.
    This is why I made my guide check it out in my signature! :D

Sent from my Kitkatified I927 running CM 11