Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
How-TO Root the
HTC Slide
HTC Aria + See this Link > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=708233
&
Nexus One
Works With ALL 2.1 HTC PHONE"S with 2e Recovery!
Must be able to See the Device From the ADB in recovery for it to work!

See this Thread if you Have a New Slide or Updated the OTA to version 1.35.531.1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=754669

If at anytime You have Trouble or Can't get my Method to work, Please see wesgarner's [Root] SimpleRoot v1.3 (Linux/Windows)
Link > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=713347
Just use my Update.zip if you just want root only

Download This Package > Root.zip

*EDITED* 6/29/2010 Update Now Contains Su & Superuser.apk. Permission Fixed on SU / Sh as well :)
-Contains Dusty51 script for Partitioning the a2sd & Swap
-fstab install so swap will work
-Default partition table's are:
-Linux Swap @ 32mb
-ext2 a2sd partition @ 512mb
-Fat32 Partition is based on the size after the 2 above

How-to Use:
Once You load the Recovery via update.zip, Unplug & Plug the USB to make sure the Device is Seen..
- Open Command Prompt from Computer
- Adb shell
- sdparted
- Next Follow the Command, y = Y to confirm..

Note: Backup your SDCARD first, only thing should be on it is the update.zip then Follow the above to Format for a2sd support!

I've got root now and just wanted to repeat what made the difference for me (also posted pages back):

when you're ready to run recovery in the bootloader be sure to unplug the USB from your phone until 'HBOOT' not 'HBOOT USB PLUG' displays.

So basically you unplug the phone until 'HBOOT' appears, have 'RECOVERY' highlighted, and plug the phone in a moment before you select 'RECOVERY'.

The moment I did that I had 'recovery' displaying in my loop.

Continue with the directions...

How-TO Root the Slide

First!! - Go to Settings > Application > Development and turn on USB Debugging. This should save you headaches.

NOW… Power Off the Slide

Step 0.
Un-zip the Package you Downloaded

Step 1.
Place the Contents of "update.zip" & "ota.zip" & "loop" into your Android SDK Tools folder.

Step 2.
Open Command Prompt or Terminal and CD to the SDK/Tools Directory.

Step 3.
Power on the Slide into the bootloader by Holding Down ( Volume Down + Power Button )

Step 4.
Now run your loop file from the prompt (either type "loop" in windows or "./loop.sh" in a *nix like) ( ./ Is used For OSX )

Step 5.
Once your loop is running in your prompt, select Recovery from the bootloader menu.

Step 6.
When recovery loads, you should Have an Offline Device. You can use ctrl+c to stop your script & see.
If this doesn't happen, Power Off and try again..

Step 7.
Un-plug your USB cable from the back of your phone & Plug it back in for it to Detect ADB Correctly!!! This is an important step. At this point you can adb devices to see if you can see your device and that it is in recovery mode.

Step 8.
Hit Volume Up + Power button to Bring up the Selectable Menu
Select Update.zip from the menu. (This will fail, but we already know that! Select it anyway).

Step 9.
adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip (*OSX users add a ./ in front of all terminal commands please.)

Step 11.
This is Very important!! Have this Command ready in your prompt before applying update.zip again!!

This is the Command, We do not Push this Yet adb push update.zip /sdcard

step 12.
Hit run update.zip, as soon as you see a Little Bar appear under the text, push Enter to execute the command in your prompt (adb push update.zip /sdcard )

Step 13.
In successful, you should see Clockwork Recovery & you Now have Su & Superuser.apk Installed! You can Now Reboot Your Phone into the OS to verify.
If unsuccessful, repeat steps 11 & 12.

Congrats.

Next Guide For Flashing the ENG-BUILD with Test-key Recovery​

Updating the Radio Once Everything Is Done​

Special Thanks to:

Paul O'Brien: > http://android.modaco.com/forum.html
Koushik K. Dutta: His ClockWorkMod Recovery can Be found here > http://www.clockworkmod.com/
&
http://unrevoked.com/ OTA Spoofing Method
&
ChiefzReloaded for Huge amount of Suggestion & Brain Storming.

Last edited:

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Tips: May want to be a little more clear on "SDK Directory". Some may think that you "must" have this directory, but all that is important to know is that you know the directory where the contents were placed... If that IS the case, then I'd mention that...

Also, might be important to mention the phone should already be plugged in, and should have prerequisite of ADB working...

Last edited:

mtjnkee

Feb 4, 2009
Jackson, ms
Re: How-TO * Root The Slide * *6/15/2010*

Thanks guys. You've made a lot of people happy.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Having trouble at step 5. ADB works when the phone is powered on. However, when in Recovery, adb devices list is blank.

Other problems: is Step 8 really a step? It says to select Update.zip... is this just anecdotal, as in "Now we will select an update.zip"...?

And how are you "selecting" things in Recovery? My recovery simply has the phone with a triangle...

Last edited:

richierich118

Jul 9, 2009
What is ADB i come from rooting g1 and i dont remember or know what it is i rooted my g1 when it first came out and every since then all i had to do is name file update then push. could u be alittle more clear for a retard like me I dont want to miss my phone up when i just got it today, I really want to get rid of some of the bloatware on it tho

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
What is ADB i come from rooting g1 and i dont remember or know what it is i rooted my g1 when it first came out and every since then all i had to do is name file update then push. could u be alittle more clear for a retard like me I dont want to miss my phone up when i just got it today, I really want to get rid of some of the bloatware on it tho

ADB is part of the Android SDK, you'll need to download it and extract it to your PC before you can use it.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

android007

Feb 10, 2010
My problem may be that I'm using a Mac, but I cannot get my Terminal to recognize the "loop" command. I've tried many things and it won't work properly just keeps giving me errors. I'm gonna keep trying though.

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
My problem may be that I'm using a Mac, but I cannot get my Terminal to recognize the "loop" command. I've tried many things and it won't work properly just keeps giving me errors. I'm gonna keep trying though.

Loop is just a batch file (.bat). I don't know about Macs using batch files. All it's doing is looping the "adb devices" command to see if it detects the device.

eugene373

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
Having trouble at step 5. ADB works when the phone is powered on. However, when in Recovery, adb devices list is blank.

Other problems: is Step 8 really a step? It says to select Update.zip... is this just anecdotal, as in "Now we will select an update.zip"...?

And how are you "selecting" things in Recovery? My recovery simply has the phone with a triangle...

You have to Repeat then... It Don't always work everytime!! That's why I said Repeat.. You have to Power Off, run loop & if you see now Devices then you have to Repeat again!!

You Must boot into bootloader First!! Run Loop, Then to Recovery!

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
You have to Repeat then... It Don't always work everytime!! That's why I said Repeat.. You have to Power Off, run loop & if you see now Devices then you have to Repeat again!!

Wow, cant believe I missed that order. May need to update the how to though... it says to run loop, then go to bootloader, then to recovery. You need to add a step after getting into bootloader of "Wait for device to be listed, then goto recovery"... or similar.

Last edited:

marvinp

Nov 12, 2008
Pensacola, FL
On Mac replace the loop.bat with loop.sh and change the contents of the file to the following:

#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]
do
adb devices
done

On the command line, run "chmod 755 loop.sh" to give it execute permission. To run the file type "./loop.sh"

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
My error when trying to invoke the loop file:

You have not added the tools directory to your PATH system variable. Explained on the SDK page. Also, you don't need to be in the /tools folder, just go to the folder you extracted the files to.

Eugene, I noticed while the loop was running, I chose recovery, and on one instance, I saw an offline device, but then subsequent loop commands, it stopped listing them. Also, it is still not clear what to do on Step 8. Most of us only see an image in recovery, no menus.

With no menus, anyone know how to reboot the phone in recovery other than removing the battery?

Last edited:

tmobilewinguser

Jul 14, 2007
On Mac replace the loop.bat with loop.sh and change the contents of the file to the following:

#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]
do
adb devices
done

On the command line, run "chmod 755 loop.sh" to give it execute permission. To run the file type "./loop.sh"

you think you can do quick little rewrite of the tutorial for us mac users:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.