[MOD] Enable init.d scripts support on stock kernel

Search This thread

hbguru

Jun 29, 2012
Solved

In the meantime i noticed my SU was not installed to bin, rather to xbin.
so i changed the SU install location.

it solved the issue ->
please update post with solution.

Last edited:

droidiam

Sep 23, 2010
As much as i try, i put everything in word for word yet it still keeps giving me an error when i try to flash the recovery file

das.dian24

Nov 15, 2011
ASUS ROG Phone II
Xiaomi Poco F3
i tried this on my stock rom ICS .431 rooted with CWM installed..i followed all the instructions indicated by the OP..but i cant find the text file in the /data/local/tmp that indicates "DONE" but i already saw the init.d folder in the /system/etc..

Is it working guys?or i need to do something first? :confused:

Sekhen

Mar 29, 2012
Paris
With this, V6 Supercharger & KaK, i can desinstall Auokiller Memory Optimiser Pro...

Ty a lot Iridaki :fingers-crossed:

rence1234

Jan 20, 2012
What exactly is this?what can it do to my arc s?

Sent from my LT18i using xda app-developers app

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
What exactly is this?what can it do to my arc s?

Sent from my LT18i using xda app-developers app

erm...it enables the phone to run scripts when using stock kernel.

If you are not sure what that means, then

on stock ICS kernel, there is no support to run scripts, this mod allows you to run them.

scripts are used to modify the system on the fly. Supercharger is one of the best known ones. It runs on your phone and changes some of the memory settings to make the phone "faster". It also optimizes the cpu to handle memory requests in a "better" way. And loads of other stuff including better oom settings.

ClevererSpade

Jun 21, 2012
Some peeps said its not working?
Wrong !!
go to system/etc scroll down till you see init.d open it press on 99test and view as text and you see this: init.d_log_test.txt
echo "Done"
and im on 587 :D

yeah i got the init.d_log_test.txt in my 99text as well...now where can i find good init.d tweaks for my neo?/

zmbutt

Jan 24, 2011
Karachi
Wrong !!
go to system/etc scroll down till you see init.d open it press on 99test and view as text and you see this: init.d_log_test.txt
echo "Done"
and im on 587 :D
it's not working,
View as text doesn't mean its working, its just show you the text !
it suppose to create the log file as OP said.

y_v_89

Sep 2, 2012
Wrong !!
echo "Done"

Definitely not true!! :rolleyes:
99test is a Script which should create the init.d_log_test.txt file if the init.d scripts support is enabled.

View as text doesn't mean its working, its just show you the text !
it suppose to create the log file as OP said.
Correct.

you're right, the log file has to be in data/local/tmp if not doesn't work.

I'm on stock 587 and doesn't work
Correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: sigma95

janmae

Nov 12, 2011
i did it once on MT15i ICS...even the text 'DONE' is not there where OP said....i manage to run supercharger and flash some tweaks...and the tweaks scripts are there in init.d

Perka

Sep 15, 2010
@Op thx for the guide!
I made it work for sgs3, after 6 flashes lol

Perka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

This is a small mod, inspired by non other than our great DoomLord (so if it helped you, thank him/donate to him/worship him :D) and his thread in the X10 section.

I am trying a lot of things on my phone, so I often switch back and forth from stock kernel to DoomKernel.
    However, I use lots of init.d scripts (my favorite one being SuperCharger)
    and I just don't want to lose this feature when I'm on stock.

So, without further ado, here are the steps that are needed to make init.d scripts run automatically at boot on stock kernel.

Requirements:

1. Stock Kernel
    2. Root
    3. Busybox
    4. CMW Recovery for Stock Kernel by nAa.
    5. Root Explorer or any other similar app.

Instructions:

1. Download the zip and place it in a folder in your SD card.

2. With Root Explorer, go to /system/etc. Press the Mount RW button on top right corner.
    a. If the file install-recovery.sh is not there, then press Menu and create a New File.
    Name it install-recovery.sh and then long-press on it and select Open in Text Editor.
    Paste this text in it:
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    # init.d support
    busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
    Save it and delete any .bak file that Root Explorer might have created. Set the permissions as in the attached screenshot.
    OR
    b. If the file install-recovery.sh is already there, long-press on it and select Open in Text Editor. Paste this text in the end:

Code:
    # init.d support
    busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/

In both scenarios, don't forget to leave one empty line at the end of install-recovery.sh file. ***

3. Reboot into Recovery and flash the init.d-autorunner-stock.zip.

4. Reboot your phone and with Root Explorer go to /data/local/tmp.
    There should be a txt file there named "init.d_log_test.txt" and once you open it, you should see the word "done".

5. Now you can use your favorite init.d scripts on stock kernel! :)

If you want to check if the scripts you want to use actually work, please refer to one of my older threads about how to test them.

*** I am not including an install-recovery.sh because this is the file that Link2SD depends on, so it's better if you modify it yourself, rather than use mine.

Let me know if it worked for you! :)

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    i cant edit it when i open as text:S

Not open as text, scroll down and open in text editor.

Taptalked
    and what are your permissions ?
    What permissions? Of the build.prop file? Just long press on build.prop and select permissions. Or you also don't have that option? :)
    Anw, mine are RW-R-R.
    I use rootxplorer 2.19. Ok copy your build.prop to SD card transfer it to PC use text editor of your choice to edit build.prop after you finish putt it back to SD card now use rootexplorer and copy it to system set permission to rw-r-r and reboot. That is it.

Taptalked
    For what reason? This phone has rather limited RAM to start with and anything over 32 or 36M heap is probably overkill. With a larger heap size, there is more v.memory for programs and the garbage collector "may" run more efficiently. Therefore, it is possible to get better performance by setting a larger VM heap size.

However, if you set it too high you could run out of free memory which can trigger swapping which will seriously degrade performance. Take care... and remember that if the manufacturer could gain "free" performance simply by changing this, then they would have done.