[UPDATE: 4/2/12] PRL Information Thread

Search This thread

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Before I go into the full details of the project, let's go over what a PRL is, what it does, and why it matters to you.

What Really is a PRL?

"The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is a database residing in a wireless (primarily CDMA) device, such as a cellphone, that contains information used during the system selection and acquisition process. In the case of R-UIM-based CDMA devices, the PRL resides on the R-UIM. The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order. Without a PRL, the device may not be able to roam, i.e. obtain service outside of the home area. There may be cases where missing or corrupt PRL's can lead to a customer not having service at all.

On many networks, regularly updating the PRL is advised if the subscriber uses the device outside the home area frequently, particularly if they do so in multiple different areas. This allows the phone to choose the best roaming carriers, particularly "roaming partners" with whom the home carrier has a cost-saving roaming agreement, rather than using non-affiliated carriers. PRL files can also be used to identify home networks along with roaming partners, thus making the PRL an actual list that determines the total coverage of the subscriber, both home and roaming coverage."

Source: Wikipedia

TLDR: The PRL tells a device what towers to connect to, which frequency to search on, and in what order to connect to them. This includes "on" and "off" network towers. PRLs do not effect 4G WiMax performance.

Why Should I Care?

The PRL directly effects the coverage you receive and the data speed performance of your device. Ensuring you have the latest PRL is critical to maintaining the best signal your device will get. However, there are a few "special" PRLs we can use in order to gain access to hidden features, such as 3G data roaming.

So What is This About?

I'm glad you asked. I've been working on this for a few months now and I'm now ready to go public in order to gain more statistical data from my fellow peers. I have a collection of PRLs that I have rigorously tested to see which ones give me the best performance. This isn't enough. I need real world testing for as many members as I can get.

While I can't give the full details of my project away yet, let me assure you it will benefit everyone on Sprint. Phase 1 of my project has already started and here is how you can contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArqBGjrbNosddGR3OURoNnJLdTlTaEo1RmVEYjdVNlE

The above document is open to everyone and can be edited by everyone. This spreadsheet will be used to compile data from everyone's usage of the PRLs available to us. Check the bottom of the file for sheet of each individual PRL. Each one has it's own sheet. Just add your data for which ever PRL you are testing.

The tool accepted for measuring data speed is Speedtest.net. They are the industries leader in speed testing, and it is a very reliable application.

If the PRL you are testing isn't there, I have included a template sheet so you can make your own sheet. Please stick to the format and be honest. This project is for everyone to benefit from, so don't ruin it for anyone. Also be sure you are adding your raw data to the correct PRL sheet. Little mistake like that can skew the data. Please test "Home" and "Roam" equally, I am trying to obtain the best performing PRL overall. I want to repeat that 4G WiMax is not effected by PRL, so do not include 4G in your testing.

Be impartial, be true, be consistent, and most of all be precise. If you notice something is wrong, fix it. You can chat inside the document. Just check the top right hand side for the people viewing the document. I will check this document often and update it regularly.

I have included the primary PRLs for testing in the 2nd post, and instructions how to manually update your PRL from a PC in the 3rd post. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

[UPDATE: 3/4/12]
- Closed private testing
- Added ##3432# to 3rd post

[UPDATE: 3/6/12]
- Revised 3rd Post
- Added Nexus S 4G support
- Added Disclaimer to 2nd Post about Network Vision PRLs

[UPDATE: 4/2/12]
- Phase 1 of private testing is through. Haven't posted results yet
- Added new updated version of PRLs in 2nd post
- Updated guides in 3rd post

Last edited:

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
PRL Information

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL
- 11115 (Outdated)
- 11117 (Outdated)

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
- 12117 (Outdated)

Corporate Sprint PRL

Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*

Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
- 21083 (Outdated)
- 21085 (Outdated)

Sprint PRL
- 60683 (Outdated)
- 60685 (Outdated)

Modified Verizon PRL
- 00001 (Outdated)

* If your device is not a "Network Vision Ready" device, these PRLs will not change that fact. It does not hurt to test these as they might improve the performance of your device.

Attachments

• 00002.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 11119.zip
    4 KB · Views: 104
  • 12119.zip
    4 KB · Views: 90
  • 61085.zip
    4 KB · Views: 95
  • 22085.zip
    4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
How to Update PRL Manually:

You must have your respected device's drivers installed prior to starting.

1. Download and Install QPST 2.7 - Build 366
  2. Open QPST Configuration in the "QPST" folder under Programs
  3. Disable debugging on your device
  4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP" or "Modem"
    • Epic 4G Touch: ##8778#
    • HTC EVO 3D: ##3424#
    • Nexus S 4G: *#*#8778#*#*
  5. Plug in your device
  6. Click on the “Ports” tab and “Add a new port”
  7. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok. If you don’t see a port, uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
  8. Click “Start Clients” on the top of the program and open Service Programming
  9. Select your device
  10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000"
  11. Click the "Roam" tab
  12. Click "Browse" and select the PRL you wish to use
  13. Click "Write to Phone"
  14. Phone should reboot with the PRL you specified

How to Pull PRL From Device:

4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP" or "Modem"
  5. Plug in your device
  7. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok. If you don’t see a port, uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
  9. Select your device
  10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000" or your MSL
  11. Click "Save to File" and save the file
  12. Open RL Editor in the QPST folder
  13. Go to "File" then "Open" and navigate to the location where you saved the file
  14. Open the .r0l file
  15. Go to "File" then "Save As" and save the file as a .prl file type.

If either are unclear in any way, please let me know.

Last edited:

rocket999

Aug 19, 2011
Awesome! I'm going to post this in the OP of my thread on how to update the PRL. I have a video tutorial in that thread to help people out!

Quick question. So the 00002 PRL is just like the 00001, just with an updated tower list (it doesn't show that it's roaming on the phone)?

And, what are with the network vision PRLs? Will they not work with the Nexus S 4g? What do they do differently?

Last edited:

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Awesome! I'm going to post this in the OP of my thread on how to update the PRL. I have a video tutorial in that thread to help people out!

Quick question. So the 00002 PRL is just like the 00001, just with an updated tower list (it doesn't show that it's roaming on the phone)?

And, what are with the network vision PRLs? Will they not work with the Nexus S 4g? What do they do differently?

You may or may not see performance enhancement. I'm trying to find that out.

00002, is basically a newer verizon prl for our phones. And yeah it is exactly like 00001

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: virginwidow

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Thanks for posting this. Super interested to see the data in your spreadsheets.

Something probably important to note in the OP-- after entering the dialer code, need to select "Modem" in the bottom USB section. (deselecting PDA).

Posting results in sheet, but based on 6 tests in exact spot, on each PRL, pretty significant speed increase for me. like seriously 3-5x faster based on initial tests.. ftw.

Reactions: bdubs4200

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida

Something probably important to note in the OP-- after entering the dialer code, need to select "Modem" in the bottom USB section. (deselecting PDA).

Posting results in sheet, but based on 6 tests in exact spot, on each PRL, pretty significant speed increase for me. like seriously 3-5x faster based on initial tests.. ftw.

Can you tell me exactly step by step what you have to do on the Nexus. Each phone is different so I need some help updating the instructions and making the universal

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2

which one was so much faster for you?

Reactions: bdubs4200

bdubs4200

Oct 18, 2010
this is perfect! Another last chance for my ns4g! I tried the 00001 and service got worse.... I'm ready to test anything that'll give me decent service.... its either sprint has horrible coverage, or my specific phone has a botched antenna. I live I'm Minnesota if that helps and will be off work at 7. I'll test anything lol. I have 0 bars as I type this right now... :( great work op and rocket!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
I'm not sure how you're going to go about denoting this, but I can literally cross the street (about a block down) and go into the neighborhood next to me and things will be completely different depending on the PRL I'm using.

At my house if I'm using the regular sprint one 60683/5 and using Sprint data I average 2Mbps 3G and it'll even go higher than that at times.
While verizon 3G using 00001 is about 0.7Mbps

I go across the street into the other neighborhood and with the same 60683/5 PRL 3G will give me 0.5Mbps if I'm lucky 1Mbps. while the 00001 will be about 1.3-1.4 Mbps

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: virginwidow

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
Haha thanks, once in hs was enough for me.:D

My point was anyone can come here and look at the results for the statistical average of their area (or just the prl in general) thinking that that certain PRL will be the best for them.
But their results will still be independent of what they see on the charts because of the variance in tower locations around them.

Take the neighborhood near my house again. The reason service is garbage over their while using sprint is because its located in between two sprint towers. Even though the tower closest to me (call it A) would provide better signal and speeds in that area, it connects to the other tower (B) because tower B is still able to broadcast signal to that area.
ANd, since PRL is is geographically and priority based, instead of signal strength, the sprint phones will connect to the farther, higher priority tower (B) instead of the closer, stronger one (A).

a street or two can make a major difference.

I'm not trying to bash your work at all. I'm just curious as to what you're going to do with all this information. If its just collecting data from as many people you can to increase your sample size it all makes sense.
But if you're collecting all this info to throw around as a guideline for people to look at when deciding which prl to test, thats where I'm having issues following your plan lol. imo it should be trial and error to determine it since every area is different.

Guess we'll find out when you release more info on your project :)

Last edited:

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Haha thanks, once in hs was enough for me.:D

My point was anyone can come here and look at the results for the statistical average of their area (or just the prl in general) thinking that that certain PRL will be the best for them.
But their results will still be independent of what they see on the charts because of the variance in tower locations around them.

Take the neighborhood near my house again. The reason service is garbage over their while using sprint is because its located in between two sprint towers. Even though the tower closest to me (call it A) would provide better signal and speeds in that area, it connects to the other tower (B) because tower B is still able to broadcast signal to that area.
ANd, since PRL is is geographically and priority based, instead of signal strength, the sprint phones will connect to the farther, higher priority tower (B) instead of the closer, stronger one (A).

a street or two can make a major difference.

I'm not trying to bash your work at all. I'm just curious as to what you're going to do with all this information. If its just collecting data from as many people you can to increase your sample size it all makes sense.
But if you're collecting all this info to throw around as a guideline for people to look at when deciding which prl to test, thats where I'm having issues following your plan lol. imo it should be trial and error to determine it since every area is different.

Guess we'll find out when you release more info on your project :)

Well I'm thinking if we get enough data that it will all balance out, which it should. I'm not going to fully crunch the numbers until the end of the month

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Can you tell me exactly step by step what you have to do on the Nexus. Each phone is different so I need some help updating the instructions and making the universal

For sure - will do that tonight.
... after my stats class ;)

Also realized yesterday that modem needs to be changed back to PDA after the process if you expect to use usb storage or adb ..etc. which I forgot to do (durp)

•°NS4G • ICS°•

CaptEvo

Apr 25, 2011
Phelan Ca

4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP"
    • Samsung: ##8778#
    • HTC: ##3424#
  5. Plug in your device
  9. Select your device
  11. Click the "Roam" tab

Your instructions here are pretty darn close for the NS4G,
differences would be:
After entering *#*#8778#*#* under the usb section you need to Select "modem" instead of PDA.
After selecting "service programming" your phone should already be highlighted On the next screen, simply press ok.
Remove the "read from phone" section (or does this actually give you your msl?)
After clicking on write to phone a box will appear requesting your msl; enter it and press ok.
The rest if right on.
and people should aquire thier respective msl prior to starting the process.

on the NS4G it is not necessary to disable debugging, when you select modem as opposed to pda it is automatically disabled.

Great project here though, I am deff on board. going to download the various prl's and get to it when I get home.
Thanks.

Reactions: decalex

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Your instructions here are pretty darn close for the NS4G,
differences would be:
After entering *#*#8778#*#* under the usb section you need to Select "modem" instead of PDA.
After selecting "service programming" your phone should already be highlighted On the next screen, simply press ok.
Remove the "read from phone" section (or does this actually give you your msl?)
After clicking on write to phone a box will appear requesting your msl; enter it and press ok.
The rest if right on.
and people should aquire thier respective msl prior to starting the process.

on the NS4G it is not necessary to disable debugging, when you select modem as opposed to pda it is automatically disabled.

Great project here though, I am deff on board. going to download the various prl's and get to it when I get home.
Thanks.

You have to read from phone to save

bdubs4200

Oct 18, 2010
this is crazy.... i just tried all these with the phone not moviing at all, everyone has one little teenie tiny bar... :( ugh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before I go into the full details of the project, let's go over what a PRL is, what it does, and why it matters to you.

What Really is a PRL?

"The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is a database residing in a wireless (primarily CDMA) device, such as a cellphone, that contains information used during the system selection and acquisition process. In the case of R-UIM-based CDMA devices, the PRL resides on the R-UIM. The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order. Without a PRL, the device may not be able to roam, i.e. obtain service outside of the home area. There may be cases where missing or corrupt PRL's can lead to a customer not having service at all.

On many networks, regularly updating the PRL is advised if the subscriber uses the device outside the home area frequently, particularly if they do so in multiple different areas. This allows the phone to choose the best roaming carriers, particularly "roaming partners" with whom the home carrier has a cost-saving roaming agreement, rather than using non-affiliated carriers. PRL files can also be used to identify home networks along with roaming partners, thus making the PRL an actual list that determines the total coverage of the subscriber, both home and roaming coverage."

Source: Wikipedia

TLDR: The PRL tells a device what towers to connect to, which frequency to search on, and in what order to connect to them. This includes "on" and "off" network towers. PRLs do not effect 4G WiMax performance.

Why Should I Care?

The PRL directly effects the coverage you receive and the data speed performance of your device. Ensuring you have the latest PRL is critical to maintaining the best signal your device will get. However, there are a few "special" PRLs we can use in order to gain access to hidden features, such as 3G data roaming.

So What is This About?

I'm glad you asked. I've been working on this for a few months now and I'm now ready to go public in order to gain more statistical data from my fellow peers. I have a collection of PRLs that I have rigorously tested to see which ones give me the best performance. This isn't enough. I need real world testing for as many members as I can get.

While I can't give the full details of my project away yet, let me assure you it will benefit everyone on Sprint. Phase 1 of my project has already started and here is how you can contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArqBGjrbNosddGR3OURoNnJLdTlTaEo1RmVEYjdVNlE

The above document is open to everyone and can be edited by everyone. This spreadsheet will be used to compile data from everyone's usage of the PRLs available to us. Check the bottom of the file for sheet of each individual PRL. Each one has it's own sheet. Just add your data for which ever PRL you are testing.

The tool accepted for measuring data speed is Speedtest.net. They are the industries leader in speed testing, and it is a very reliable application.

If the PRL you are testing isn't there, I have included a template sheet so you can make your own sheet. Please stick to the format and be honest. This project is for everyone to benefit from, so don't ruin it for anyone. Also be sure you are adding your raw data to the correct PRL sheet. Little mistake like that can skew the data. Please test "Home" and "Roam" equally, I am trying to obtain the best performing PRL overall. I want to repeat that 4G WiMax is not effected by PRL, so do not include 4G in your testing.

Be impartial, be true, be consistent, and most of all be precise. If you notice something is wrong, fix it. You can chat inside the document. Just check the top right hand side for the people viewing the document. I will check this document often and update it regularly.

I have included the primary PRLs for testing in the 2nd post, and instructions how to manually update your PRL from a PC in the 3rd post. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

[UPDATE: 3/4/12]
    - Closed private testing
    - Added ##3432# to 3rd post

[UPDATE: 3/6/12]
    - Revised 3rd Post
    - Added Nexus S 4G support
    - Added Disclaimer to 2nd Post about Network Vision PRLs

[UPDATE: 4/2/12]
    - Phase 1 of private testing is through. Haven't posted results yet
    - Added new updated version of PRLs in 2nd post
    - Updated guides in 3rd post
    PRL Information

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL
    - 11115 (Outdated)
    - 11117 (Outdated)

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
    - 12117 (Outdated)

Corporate Sprint PRL

Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*

Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
    - 21083 (Outdated)
    - 21085 (Outdated)

Sprint PRL
    - 60683 (Outdated)
    - 60685 (Outdated)

Modified Verizon PRL
    - 00001 (Outdated)

* If your device is not a "Network Vision Ready" device, these PRLs will not change that fact. It does not hurt to test these as they might improve the performance of your device.

5. Plug in your device
    9. Select your device
    11. Click the "Roam" tab

How to Pull PRL From Device:

5. Plug in your device
    9. Select your device
    10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000" or your MSL
    11. Click "Save to File" and save the file
    12. Open RL Editor in the QPST folder
    13. Go to "File" then "Open" and navigate to the location where you saved the file
    14. Open the .r0l file
    15. Go to "File" then "Save As" and save the file as a .prl file type.

If either are unclear in any way, please let me know.

You may or may not see performance enhancement. I'm trying to find that out.

00002, is basically a newer verizon prl for our phones. And yeah it is exactly like 00001