Oh AT&T... how I loathe you!

Search This thread

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Anyone get their phone yet? Can someone verify that the download booster is indeed disabled? I'm waiting for someone to verify it on an actual production, sold-at-retail device before I post about it on Android Police.

highaltitude

Nov 4, 2010
NC
I own 32gb S4 USA bought directly from AT&T. I am waiting to see if S5 32gb will come out too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 converted SGH-i337 w/XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
Well after today, I REALLY, REALLY LOATHE AT&T!!!

T-Mobile for largest GSM carrier in the U.S!!!!! Someone needs to OVERTAKE THIS PATHETIC COMPANY AND BABOONS THEY HAVE RUNNING IT!!!!

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
It sounds like Samsung note line is their premium line and not the s series anymore. Note 3 comes with 3gb ram and 32gb storage as default. I have a note 3 and was looking to get an s5 also.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
It sounds like Samsung note line is their premium line and not the s series anymore. Note 3 comes with 3gb ram and 32gb storage as default. I have a note 3 and was looking to get an s5 also.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah. The Note 3 also has really low touch latency (probably because they have the stylus and want it to work well). We don't know the S5's yet so we can't compare, but I bet the Note 3 will still be lower. I never much cared for the Note line because of the big screen, but I guess they use the extra space to pack it with higher-end hardware.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

snobrdr2324

May 8, 2012
Well after today, I REALLY, REALLY LOATHE AT&T!!!

T-Mobile for largest GSM carrier in the U.S!!!!! Someone needs to OVERTAKE THIS PATHETIC COMPANY AND BABOONS THEY HAVE RUNNING IT!!!!

It's very optimistic of you to think Tmobile wouldn't operate as ATT does if they were as large as ATT. Their strategy to gain customers is to play the good guy but what would be their motivation if they had the power ATT does?

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
It's very optimistic of you to think Tmobile wouldn't operate as ATT does if they were as large as ATT. Their strategy to gain customers is to play the good guy but what would be their motivation if they had the power ATT does?

I don't know. That is a good point. AT&T was not always like this. They have grown so much the last 5 years and become more stubborn. Doing what they like because they can.

T-Mobile's current position is to gain new subscribers and retain existing ones. What happens when they do reach the size of AT&T? I don't know. If John Legere is in charge, I would not worry about it as much.

snobrdr2324

May 8, 2012
I don't know. That is a good point. AT&T was not always like this. They have grown so much the last 5 years and become more stubborn. Doing what they like because they can.

T-Mobile's current position is to gain new subscribers and retain existing ones. What happens when they do reach the size of AT&T? I don't know. If John Legere is in charge, I would not worry about it as much.

I'm more of a pessimist when it comes to large companies I will admit. I do love what Legere is doing since now I can be on ATT and have no contract pricing with 10gigs of data. However, I don't know if I believe his shtick of bashing ATT and "shaking up the industry" is anything more than an act to increase Tmobiles brand. In my mind if he were to take over ATT he would be unseen just like all the other telco CEOs. The fact he hasn't come right out and bashed a potential merger with Sprint, but instead indirectly endorsed it shows me he is just very good at what he does, and that's make the shareholders money, not help the consumer in the long run . For now, his strategy to help consumers and build up tmobile align well but I don't see that lasting forever.

I also remember when Verizon was the smaller carrier at the launch of the OG iPhone, they had great programs like yearly upgrade credits and no activation/upgrade fees and what not. Now look at them, they are worse than ATT when it comes to consumer friendly policies and all of those programs are gone. At least ATT lets you keep grandfathered unlimited and still upgrade.

Last edited:

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
Every GALAXY launch we go through the same BS. No 32GB option available, and this time no GOLD or BLUE color options available. Why? Why? Why? Is it really that difficult to include all the colors with 32GB? Now those of us who want to get the phone on launch are once again screwed just like we were last year and the year before on 32gb of storage. Of course I take all this back if the unlocked variant offered AT&T LTE support; which it doesn't by the way. Why am I not surprised? The 16gb S5 will have about 10GB of user storage.

I am so fed up with this type of BS. AT&T is, unfortunately, the only carrier that works well in my area. T-Mobile is spotty with lots of EDGE. If only their service was on lower spectrum, I'd be all over them.

Anyone else feeling just as frustrated with this mess we endure every year.

Are you sure the Unlocked G900M doesnt support AT&T LTE? I was looking this over Galaxy S5 Specs while comparing this...here. Am i missing something?

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
Are you sure the Unlocked G900M doesnt support AT&T LTE? I was looking this over Galaxy S5 Specs while comparing this...here. Am i missing something?

From what I've heard, the T-Mobile variant supports all of AT&T's bands, but signal strength isn't as good as on the AT&T model.
The signal strength claim was based off of the T-Mobile S4 and it's compatibility with AT&T bands but poor reception on them.
So no concrete tests on signal strength for the T-Mo, just speculation based off of a previous pattern.

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
From what I've heard, the T-Mobile variant supports all of AT&T's bands, but signal strength isn't as good as on the AT&T model.
The signal strength claim was based off of the T-Mobile S4 and it's compatibility with AT&T bands but poor reception on them.
So no concrete tests on signal strength for the T-Mo, just speculation based off of a previous pattern.

I actually am a bit of a...phone whore and own the AT&T Galaxy S4 and the GPE Galaxy S4. I also have the Tmobile Note 3 unlocked for AT&T LTE use and all of them work as expected. I cant tell a difference at all when it comes to signal strength. ?

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
I actually am a bit of a...phone whore and own the AT&T Galaxy S4 and the GPE Galaxy S4. I also have the Tmobile Note 3 unlocked for AT&T LTE use and all of them work as expected. I cant tell a difference at all when it comes to signal strength. ?

Some people couldn't. I also used the TMO Note 3 on AT&T. LTE signal was awful, HSPA signal was fine. In areas with weak signal, my N900T would often connect to H+. Definitely an issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no issue with the small size. I always for for the budget version anyways. My 64gb sd card makes up for the space and now that you can use 128gb in most phones not a big issue.

I'm kinda tired of people saying onboard storage isn't an issue with SD cards, because to many it is.
    Lots of apps don't support being installed on MicroSD, and even those that do are performance limited by the relatively low bandwidth of MicroSD cards (even the fastest ones out there). I'd much rather have GTA on my built-in flash storage so I can play it with no stutters or problems whatsoever.
    You can't install many games on a 16GB phone, especially considering they're usually filled up with almost 8GB as the OS.
    I understand that for media and photos, SD cards are great. I'm just trying to emphasize that they're not the best solution for everyone.

16GB is never an issue with me, regardless of the device. It's more than enough for my needs, considering I have maybe 2-4 very small games on my devices at any given time. What does piss me off is the lack of all the colors. I wanted the blue model, but of course, that's not possible...for whatever idiotic reason. I just said screw it and preordered the black. I guess I'll just buy a different back cover down the road.

16GB may not be an issue for everyone, but why can't they just give the customer the choice at pre-launch? I have no problem paying more for storage. Why does Apple sell every color and size up front from day 1? That's what I don't get. Since they are dying so much to be like Apple, then why can't they at least do that?
    i'm confused, why doesn't everyone that want bigger memory space to just spend 35 dollars on amazon and get a 64GB micro card? that'd what i did so now when i get my AT&T S5, I'll have a total of 70 GBs free space....

i think you guys are crying way too much about this 16GB deal.
    16GB may not be an issue for everyone, but why can't they just give the customer the choice at pre-launch? I have no problem paying more for storage. Why does Apple sell every color and size up front from day 1? That's what I don't get. Since they are dying so much to be like Apple, then why can't they at least do that?

Agreed -- it really doesn't make any sense at all. All model options should be available from day 1, no exceptions. That's one thing Apple does an excellent job at. They announce their devices and the same day you can start preordering any color/storage model, assuming the stock is available, of course. It pissed me off even more, because we had to wait this long after the S5 announcement to just preorder it...and then we don't have all the options available? Very annoying.
    Just received mine and can confirm that there is no download booster.