[HOWTO] Convert videos for Samsung Galaxy S using Handbreak.

Search This thread

luposurfer

Dec 2, 2010
I turned out that after I moved all the video from the ext.sd to the internal SD it's all working great,avi mp4 etc.

sinancetinkaya

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
2. Set the Galaxy Sd Width and Height (the Galaxy S supports a maximum of 800 x 480 pixels)
I think that's wrong, I can play the video below quite well with stock player
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 3mn 1s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 201 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 6 300 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.042
Stream size : 47.6 MiB (94%)
Tagged date : UTC 2011-01-05 18:09:43

FerreiraPT

May 18, 2012
Lisboa
Used this program yesterday but the final result was rubbish. Both PC Media Player and SGS played the video and sound bumping... Followed all the instructions from the first post. Any ideas of what might went wrong?

Last edited:

pol098

Oct 24, 2009
A 5-year-old post, but if I found it by a search others might too ...

I'm still using an old 800 x 480 phone (Toshiba TG01, but I expect other phones of the same resolution will behave the same). Handbrake has a Windows CLI version. I sometimes want to convert .ts or .mp4 files to play on the phone; I use Handbrake with standard configuration and presets, and the following works fine for me. I tried playing with Handbrake parameters, but usually got either jerky video or digital pixellation. The following may not produce the very best possible output, but it's unjerky, uncorrupted, and displays and sounds fine on the phone display and headphones; it's not worth fiddling for ages.

I have the following command stored in a text file:

"c:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe" --preset "Apple 240p30" -i "input pathname" -o "output pathname"

The input pathname is the path and name of the file to convert, which must have appropriate extension (e.g., .ts). The output pathname must end in ".mp4". I simply edit the pathnames and paste into a Windows command window. I suppose some Apple-specific things are done, but the output is fine, and small. A 1.6GB .ts file (film) recorded from standard-resolution television reduces to 300MB. Maybe "Windows Phone 8" (available in Handbrake 1.0.3) would give noticeably better resolution; there are plenty of ready-made presets to play with.

(I generally prefer CLI to GUI programs for this sort of thing; once I've got the options right with the GUI or CLI version, I just make a batch file with appropriate parameters, or copy and paste to a command prompt window.)

HTH

Last edited: