[OTG USB] Using OTG cable and charging at the same time - SOLVED 29.08.12

Search This thread

sonic_boom

May 20, 2010
Dublin
UPDATE 30/08/2012

For "daily" updates, tutorials more videos visit my website

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld

Added more diagrams and pictures on my website --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/my-projects/otg-diagrams
Don't forget to check NEWS as well : --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/

OLD POST - HOW I STARTED

Firstly hi all

Secondly i want describe myself as a person who has only little knowledge about electronics etc. Also i am very busy at work and at home after work with kids, so to be honest with you i can test it only while i am actually working ( i do Testing and servicing medical devices )

At this moment i can't "afford" to buy SONY ERICSSON LIVEdock ( OTG MODE + CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME )

I just want to share my progress in making cheaper verision of LIVEdock, also i looking fore some smart arse to help me/us finish what i started,

I know this is little bit messy and don't kill me for my english please

Diagram:

DSC_0076.jpg

I made simple OTG CABLE with permanently shorted PIN 4 (sense) AND 5 (ground) on my microUSB. The i realized that phone battery must support power for phone and connected USB device such as keyboard, mouse, gamepad etc. Then i added ON/OFF switch between PIN 4 and 5 what i achieved ?

DSC_0080.jpg

Now i can switch between OTG MODE and CHARGING MODE ( unfortunately both modes wouldn't work at the same time ). Then i added another two ON/OFF switches to cut off the power from the battery VCC (red wire) and GROUND (black) while you are in OTG MODE. I added another USB cable ( this one suply power from computer or charger or car charger ) but i used VCC and GROUND only i connected these wires to each switches and FEMALE USB ( one you connect keyboard ,gamepad etc ). What i achieved ? now Battery support only my phone but phone is still in OTG mode, and whole power goes to our device ( Keyboard, USB flash memory etc ) .

DSC_0077.jpgDSC_0078.jpgDSC_0079.jpgDSC_0081.jpg

Now we know how to get external power source to our external device , but i still haven't find an solution how to get phone in charging mode or to do anything to prevent phone from discharging while we are in OTG MODE . I know that SONY instead of so many switches used just some simple electronics components. Also i still haven't try everything but if you have any idea please let me know.

Later on i will upload Video on YouTube ( HOW IT WORKS )

Regards

Last edited:

memphian

Sep 18, 2011
Memphis
BTW i got this working !!! ( USING HUB WITH 4X USB PORTS )

OTG AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME !!! should work for any device with OTG SUPPORT ;) so far i can post screen shoot only , more details later on if you interesting...

View attachment 1264716

regards

This sounds awesome. Looking to do something like this with a nexus 7 in my vehicle. Looking forward to this.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

mvmacd

Nov 2, 2010
Massachusetts

OTG AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME !!! should work for any device with OTG SUPPORT ;) so far i can post screen shoot only , more details later on if you interesting...

View attachment 1264716

regards

Please do tell. Are you pretty sure it'll work for any OTG device? Regardless of its hardware. Specifically the nexus 7.

Reactions: Ichigo8149

sonic_boom

May 20, 2010
Dublin
I hope will work for all devices . Successfuly tested on my Xperia S. I will test soon on Galaxy S2 and S3. Also I completely redesign everything. Forget about first post and crappy switches. I made docking station for my phone I just have to finish my it. I want to add some LED. Is all about right cables and resistors in right place. I think this should also work on simple Y cable.

Give me some time to get everything ready. I have two kids a home plus looking for new house plus I am working. But I will post instruction here soon

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

GregórioAxiaMagno

Apr 23, 2012
I hope will work for all devices . Successfuly tested on my Xperia S. I will test soon on Galaxy S2 and S3. Also I completely redesign everything. Forget about first post and crappy switches. I made docking station for my phone I just have to finish my it. I want to add some LED. Is all about right cables and resistors in right place. I think this should also work on simple Y cable.

Give me some time to get everything ready. I have two kids a home plus looking for new house plus I am working. But I will post instruction here soon

Interesting indeed.
Take you time. And you have the xda support, because this is something that we want also.
Thanks for the research and effort.

sonic_boom

May 20, 2010
Dublin
At this moment i can post some pictures with my crappy beta most ugly dock - but was design for testing only and i have done already so many transformations . Most important

OTG and CHARGING working at the same time !!

CIMG8683.jpg

CIMG8684.jpg

On the photos you can see LED ON , USB STORAGE CONNECTED NOTIFICATION and MOUSE CURSOR ! ;)

I connected same time :

- 8GB USB MEMORY STICK
- WIRED MOUSE
- WIRED KEYBOARD
- USB WITH POWER SUPPLY FOR MY SPEAKERS ( then i connected jack for AUDIO )
- and phone CHARGING SAME TIME

at work also i connected HUB - 1 USB ( WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ) - WORKING PERFECT !

Before i will post any information HOW TO GET THIS DONE i will post video on YOUTUBE - i should have video before MIDNIGHT ( current time 6:22 PM)

VERY IMPORTANT !!! ( i connected GALAXY SIII - unfortunately not working at all - but dont worry - in 99% i know where seems to be the problem)

Regards

Last edited:

GregórioAxiaMagno

Apr 23, 2012
At this moment i can post some pictures with my crappy beta most ugly dock - but was design for testing only and i have done already so many transformations . Most important

Dude! I must say: congratulations, and the beta dock is more beautiful than my wooden dock, homemade also hahahaha. I'm excited to see how is the modification to earn charge and OTG function. I wanna try also and share my tests!

Last edited:

GregórioAxiaMagno

Apr 23, 2012
Very nice and cool :good:.

I'm too curious...
I drew some scheme, is just what I'm wondering about what you did, and how can I do, or even you can use these pics when you explain :D.

Regards.

Attachments

• usb2.jpg
    usb2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 27,527
Last edited:

GregórioAxiaMagno

Apr 23, 2012
Great work sonic!

Let me ask: if i simply put the resistor at the id pin, the scheme what I drew, my last post, will work? If you can say just looking at the scheme....

Thanks again BTW.

mvmacd

Nov 2, 2010
Massachusetts
So.. are you pretty positive it'll work on a Nexus 7? Has anybody tried it?

I do not have any powered USB 2.0 hubs, but if it'll work, I'd definitely buy one, I'd just like to know beforehand, if possible.

Anyone tried this yet with a N7?

sonic_boom

May 20, 2010
Dublin
So.. are you pretty positive it'll work on a Nexus 7? Has anybody tried it?

I do not have any powered USB 2.0 hubs, but if it'll work, I'd definitely buy one, I'd just like to know beforehand, if possible.

Anyone tried this yet with a N7?

Hi . Hmm i am 99% sure this should work without powered USB HUB ! according to my 2nd stage DOCK STATION , DIAGRAM HERE --> LINK

where maybe the problem ? yellow wire going straight through from pin 4 to pin 4 from one connector to another with resistor in the middle to enable OTG MODE using my HUB ! if this method will not work for you i would try to short PIN 4 and PIN 5 with RESISTOR on microUSB male connector going to your phone/tablet ...

mvmacd

Nov 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Hi . Hmm i am 99% sure this should work without powered USB HUB ! according to my 2nd stage DOCK STATION , DIAGRAM HERE --> LINK

where maybe the problem ? yellow wire going straight through from pin 4 to pin 4 from one connector to another with resistor in the middle to enable OTG MODE using my HUB ! if this method will not work for you i would try to short PIN 4 and PIN 5 with RESISTOR on microUSB male connector going to your phone/tablet ...

so I just put 100 K ohm resister in pin 4, then add the external power?

what cables or adapters should I buy? what would be the easiest setup of cables/adapters to then modify? I'm drawing a blank.. thx

GregórioAxiaMagno

Apr 23, 2012
Hi. Go on my Google website there is pretty good scheme any question just ask

Thanks man, you are amazing.

I have a question: my hub don't have the Id/Sense pin, where can I short the phone Id/Sense with the resistor? All my hub ports have 4 pin, but I can use all ports with the moded otg adapter.

Regards.

sonic_boom

May 20, 2010
Dublin
so I just put 100 K ohm resister in pin 4, then add the external power?

what cables or adapters should I buy? what would be the easiest setup of cables/adapters to then modify? I'm drawing a blank.. thx

I would recommend you MicroUsb to normal USB SAMSUNG DATA CABLE. I damaged already so many data cables . But SAMSUNG cable got little board on MicroUSB side . Plug is easy to open. I will do diagram for you soon ok.

Thanks man, you are amazing.

I have a question: my hub don't have the Id/Sense pin, where can I short the phone Id/Sense with the resistor? All my hub ports have 4 pin, but I can use all ports with the moded otg adapter.

Regards.

Same thing I will draw another diagram for non powered hubs

Reactions: GregórioAxiaMagno

GregórioAxiaMagno

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for reply Sonic. Just to explain better, I'm uploading the diagram of my situation. I don't know where to connect the ID/Sense.

Attachments

• OTG30.jpg
    OTG30.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 6,587
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 30/08/2012

For "daily" updates, tutorials more videos visit my website

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld

Added more diagrams and pictures on my website --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/my-projects/otg-diagrams
    Don't forget to check NEWS as well : --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/

OLD POST - HOW I STARTED

Firstly hi all

Secondly i want describe myself as a person who has only little knowledge about electronics etc. Also i am very busy at work and at home after work with kids, so to be honest with you i can test it only while i am actually working ( i do Testing and servicing medical devices )

At this moment i can't "afford" to buy SONY ERICSSON LIVEdock ( OTG MODE + CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME )

I just want to share my progress in making cheaper verision of LIVEdock, also i looking fore some smart arse to help me/us finish what i started,

I know this is little bit messy and don't kill me for my english please

Diagram:

DSC_0076.jpg

I made simple OTG CABLE with permanently shorted PIN 4 (sense) AND 5 (ground) on my microUSB. The i realized that phone battery must support power for phone and connected USB device such as keyboard, mouse, gamepad etc. Then i added ON/OFF switch between PIN 4 and 5 what i achieved ?

DSC_0080.jpg

Now i can switch between OTG MODE and CHARGING MODE ( unfortunately both modes wouldn't work at the same time ). Then i added another two ON/OFF switches to cut off the power from the battery VCC (red wire) and GROUND (black) while you are in OTG MODE. I added another USB cable ( this one suply power from computer or charger or car charger ) but i used VCC and GROUND only i connected these wires to each switches and FEMALE USB ( one you connect keyboard ,gamepad etc ). What i achieved ? now Battery support only my phone but phone is still in OTG mode, and whole power goes to our device ( Keyboard, USB flash memory etc ) .

DSC_0077.jpgDSC_0078.jpgDSC_0079.jpgDSC_0081.jpg

Now we know how to get external power source to our external device , but i still haven't find an solution how to get phone in charging mode or to do anything to prevent phone from discharging while we are in OTG MODE . I know that SONY instead of so many switches used just some simple electronics components. Also i still haven't try everything but if you have any idea please let me know.

Later on i will upload Video on YouTube ( HOW IT WORKS )

Regards
    SUCCESS

Screenshot_2012-08-16-20-05-15.jpg

regards

CIMG8683.jpg

CIMG8684.jpg

On the photos you can see LED ON , USB STORAGE CONNECTED NOTIFICATION and MOUSE CURSOR ! ;)

I connected same time :

- 8GB USB MEMORY STICK
    - WIRED MOUSE
    - WIRED KEYBOARD
    - USB WITH POWER SUPPLY FOR MY SPEAKERS ( then i connected jack for AUDIO )
    - and phone CHARGING SAME TIME

at work also i connected HUB - 1 USB ( WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ) - WORKING PERFECT !

Before i will post any information HOW TO GET THIS DONE i will post video on YOUTUBE - i should have video before MIDNIGHT ( current time 6:22 PM)

VERY IMPORTANT !!! ( i connected GALAXY SIII - unfortunately not working at all - but dont worry - in 99% i know where seems to be the problem)

Regards

Hi again SONY USERS !

There is my final video + link to my website with INFO , DIAGRAM , PICTURES --> HOW TO GET THIS WORKING ;)

Link to website ---> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/