FORUMS

[APP][14.Aug][v1.3] "Back FavPeople Up!" - Backup/Restore of TouchFlo Favorite people

2,382 posts
Thanks Meter: 65

By zenkinz, Senior Member on 2nd August 2009, 08:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd August 2009, 11:38 AM |#21  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Looking good! Thanks!

However, now that I've learned about HTC's use of a category in 2.5, I feel this could well be your primary vessel for "backing up" the favorites. Instead of writing the info to an XML file, you could simply "emulate" 2.5 behaviour:

* Backup would set the HTCFavorite category on all contacts which are favorites.
* Restore would turn all contacts in the HTCFavorite category into favorites.

Your current method writes a lot of info into the XML - what if the contact's info has changed between the backup and restore? Will the restored favorite have the new info (from Outlook/Exchange) or the old backed up info?

BTW, I'd love it if your tool could operate silently from the "command line" - then I wouldn't have to wrestle with Mortscript to automate the process in SASHIMI.
3rd August 2009, 12:50 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugumba

Looking good! Thanks!

However, now that I've learned about HTC's use of a category in 2.5, I feel this could well be your primary vessel for "backing up" the favorites. Instead of writing the info to an XML file, you could simply "emulate" 2.5 behaviour:

* Backup would set the HTCFavorite category on all contacts which are favorites.
* Restore would turn all contacts in the HTCFavorite category into favorites.

Your current method writes a lot of info into the XML - what if the contact's info has changed between the backup and restore? Will the restored favorite have the new info (from Outlook/Exchange) or the old backed up info?

BTW, I'd love it if your tool could operate silently from the "command line" - then I wouldn't have to wrestle with Mortscript to automate the process in SASHIMI.

Category alone doesn't do the job, because apart from determining if this contact is your favorite contact, I need to know the default contact method (sms, email, work/home/mobile phone, etc). I think 2.5 uses category plus something else to achieve this.

remember the whole idea is to backup and restore, it's not meant to do syncĂ­ng.

I can work on the silent mode for sashimi user, but you should be able to run this today as a sashimi executables, except that you must make sure you run it after your have restored your contacts.
3rd August 2009, 12:58 PM |#23  
Flag Altoona, Pa
Thanks Meter: 61

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizier

This is just what I was searching for:

Would you please consider the following features as well:
- backup contact-facebook links
- backup my card (Or my contact card, whatever)
- backup selected cities in the weather panel
- backup selected cities in the clock
- backup the program shortcuts in the programs panel (or Manilla start menu)

Thanks for your initiative and efforts...

Check my signature, I am working on a mortscript app to backup most of these items including custom cities in TF3D. Also backs up program registration keys and personal settings

As for this app here, I am glad you released a beta version for us to play around with. I never mind trying something out. Even if it was to mess up my device I flash so many ROMs it wouldnt matter. Thanks again
3rd August 2009, 01:39 PM |#24  
Flag Gainesville, Florida
Thanks Meter: 11

More
this app would be greater if you could back up and restore your programs page too. If it doesnt find the shortcut after the flash, then it wont show it.

I like having my icons in the same location.
3rd August 2009, 04:21 PM |#25  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 40

More
great work my friend.......
3rd August 2009, 07:25 PM |#26  
Flag Oslo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboX2

this app would be greater if you could back up and restore your programs page too. If it doesnt find the shortcut after the flash, then it wont show it.

Although your "query" is impolite and irrelevant, it has already been answered here... 3 pages is not too much to research before posting, is it?

To help you further along the way, this thread provides the tools and pointers to backup almost anything, and to restore it automatically after flashing. (The thread is not Blackstone specific, even though it's in the Blackstone forum. I hope it gets moved.)

Kudos to zenkinz for targeting, solving and sharing a specific problem which apparently was too difficult for most of the rest of us.
3rd August 2009, 07:46 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
exchange server?
would be awesome, however I have not figured out how to set that up yet. my laptop is not connected to the internet all the time... in fact, I use my phone to connect the laptop to the internet.

it's just that ocasionally I managed to loose some contacts with unstable roms, so I back them up with PIM backup, then manualy input the changes to outlook.

This is why i keep wishing for a pim program that would simply update the new info without creating duplicates.. omething passive enough to just update the information instead of creating a new duplicate contact.

I downloaded. cant wait to try it.
3rd August 2009, 07:50 PM |#28  
Flag Oslo

More
Quote:

Also, are you able to backup+restore contact pictures? Any hi-res mug shots are not propagated to Exchange.

Quoting myself, just wanted to point out I was wrong... Just tried it, and the hires contact images are indeed propagated to Outlook and Exchange.
4th August 2009, 03:13 AM |#29  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Quoting myself, just wanted to point out I was wrong... Just tried it, and the hires contact images are indeed propagated to Outlook and Exchange.

if you ever get a lower rest contact images, it's probably becuase of your desktop's outlook. that's what I have observed.
4th August 2009, 03:16 AM |#30  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.V.I

would be awesome, however I have not figured out how to set that up yet. my laptop is not connected to the internet all the time... in fact, I use my phone to connect the laptop to the internet.

it's just that ocasionally I managed to loose some contacts with unstable roms, so I back them up with PIM backup, then manualy input the changes to outlook.

This is why i keep wishing for a pim program that would simply update the new info without creating duplicates.. omething passive enough to just update the information instead of creating a new duplicate contact.

I downloaded. cant wait to try it.

you can use Microsoft My Phone to sync/backup your contacts as well.

The whole idea of this program is to backup information of the contact that are not part of the sync, namely the HTC favorite contact information and the ringing tone (plan to do the next time)
4th August 2009, 09:11 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
updated with version 1.1! see first two posts for more information.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
contact, favorite people, manila, tf3d, touchflo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)