[APP] eInk-friendly Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35

Search This thread

japinder

Jul 8, 2011
Singapore
Well, the Nook is like Android Froyo or Gingerbread, at best. I looked for the Boox M96 and it looks like it is running Android 4 which is ICS. There *might* be some sort of incompatibility, kind of doubting it, but maybe. Removing page animations would be a good thing also, I agree with you, I will look into doing that.

Hi wskelly,

Could you help to modify a new version of the Kindle app please. I'll readily test it out on my M96.

I've never meddled with apps, but if you could point me in the right direction, I could try out my hand at it as well. Thanks.

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010
Hi wskelly,

Could you help to modify a new version of the Kindle app please. I'll readily test it out on my M96.

I've never meddled with apps, but if you could point me in the right direction, I could try out my hand at it as well. Thanks.
Yes I will do this. I hope to post something this weekend.

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010

Try this:
http://goo.gl/gKWjv1

This is Kindle version 4.4.0.71. Anything newer than that, and aapt.exe would crash trying to rebuild it. I don't know why. I tried five or six versions, this is the latest one that worked. Anything OLDER than this will build but anything newer won't.

Note, like the app in the OP, you need to UNINSTALL your version of Kindle and install this one. The two versions can't co-exist. ...And you probably don't want them to.

Changes are the same as the app in the OP, except:
There are no reading "dots" in this version (to tell you how much of a book you've read) so I didn't need to make that change.
The library background was changed to white.

I should probably open a new thread for this, but I don't know where? Any suggestions?

And if you see something that looks like crap on eInk, I can try to change it. Just need a screenshot or photo or something like that.

--Bill

Ignore this stuff (for tracking the changes to the file when someone has the file three years from now):
The MD5 sum of this file is: fc1b250d9ca4148a93a33a9441f1a769
And the git hash on my side is: 4f0d59b97def2b64da09e2e2a43b0e94d05987ca

japinder

Jul 8, 2011
Singapore
Try this:

This is Kindle version 4.4.0.71. Anything newer than that, and aapt.exe would crash trying to rebuild it. I don't know why. I tried five or six versions, this is the latest one that worked. Anything OLDER than this will build but anything newer won't.

Note, like the app in the OP, you need to UNINSTALL your version of Kindle and install this one. The two versions can't co-exist. ...And you probably don't want them to.

There are no reading "dots" in this version (to tell you how much of a book you've read) so I didn't need to make that change.

I should probably open a new thread for this, but I don't know where? Any suggestions?

And if you see something that looks like crap on eInk, I can try to change it. Just need a screenshot or photo or something like that.

Thanks a ton Bill. :D

No problem, v4.4 is current enough. :)

Yup, uninstalled v4.7 latest, cleared data from SD card for it & then installed your version.

I guess you could update the first post & maybe keep both versions.

Feedback for this version:
- The page turning black issue is gone. Perfectly usable now.
- Page turn animations aren't that much intrusive, but they're still present. That, combined with Onyx optimization of not enough refreshes, causes a lot of artifacts. There is a workaround of sorts, to long press Menu/Home key on the Boox for a manual refresh, but its not practical to do it for every page. Is there a way to disable animations altogether?
- Could you darken the intermediate grey color in Menu. The text that is supposed to be greyed out for some Menu items, its barely visible. Is it possible to darken it up a bit please.

Just posted a video at: http://youtu.be/d0DMtqYmp48

Could you take a look & advise.

Thanks again,
Jp

Last edited:

chefchuck

Sep 16, 2007
Miami
Try this:

--Bill

Ignore this stuff (for tracking the changes to the file when someone has the file three years from now):
The MD5 sum of this file is: fc1b250d9ca4148a93a33a9441f1a769
And the git hash on my side is: 4f0d59b97def2b64da09e2e2a43b0e94d05987ca

Thanks for all your work Bill. I've downloaded the 4.4.0.7 package and all I get is 'There is a problem parsing the package' when attempting to install on my nstg. I assume this is a result of the ancient version on android running on the NST 1.2.1 firmware, just an FYI.

N

NOOK!E

Thanks for all your work Bill. I've downloaded the 4.4.0.7 package and all I get is 'There is a problem parsing the package' when attempting to install on my nstg. I assume this is a result of the ancient version on android running on the NST 1.2.1 firmware, just an FYI.

Yes, that's right - since the Nook Touch devices run Android 2.1, many apps will give the "There is a problem parsing the package" error, solely because they are made to be installed on a newer Android version.

Try the package in the OP, it works great. :)

Last edited:

Finrod Paradox

Nov 6, 2012
Sofia
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hi, I just rooted my nook. I placed the apk in my nook and when I tried to installed it, it said - NOOK can not read this file.

How to I install apps?

The Amazon appstore does not load, and I tried playstore as well but it showed me it had only 1 or 2 apps at the whole market?

pchafner

Feb 16, 2016
I can see my library but cannot download books. The download is constantly interrupted. I'm using version 3.0.3.25 Any suggestions?

tshoulihane

Jun 16, 2010
Redmi Note 12 5G
Reactions: ZenM

typingwriter

May 31, 2014
Thank you for linking these instructions! I have the same problem and can neither download books on my kindle app anymore, nor install the updated version (making my NST kinda useless, which is a shame).

Is there by any chance a simpler way to update my NST or a more elaborate set of instructions? I couldn't find anything else and am not quite tech-savvy enough to quite understand how to update those certificates.

If there is any advice how I can update app or certificates I would be very, very grateful! :)

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thank you for linking these instructions! I have the same problem and can neither download books on my kindle app anymore, nor install the updated version (making my NST kinda useless, which is a shame).

Is there by any chance a simpler way to update my NST or a more elaborate set of instructions? I couldn't find anything else and am not quite tech-savvy enough to quite understand how to update those certificates.

If there is any advice how I can update app or certificates I would be very, very grateful! :)

If you have a file manager (ES FileManager, Root Browser, etc.) installed with root privileges, it's easy:

1. Download the "more complete" cacerts file from the linked posting and copy it to your NST in some convenient folder (Downloads?).

2. Navigate to the system folder. You'll need to change the privileges on this folder to allow you to copy a file into a subfolder. With either of the two file managers I mentioned, a long-press on the system folder will bring up a either a menu with a list that includes "properties" or a list that includes "permissions". For the former, you need to look for the permissions section of the properties. Once you're at "permissions", enable write access for the two remaining "users".

3. Navigate to the system/etc/security folder and there you will see your current cacerts.bks file. Rename it cacerts.bak.

4. Go to the folder (Downloads?) where you copied the new cacerts file and copy/paste or cut/paste the file into system/etc/security. The permissions on the file are not correct at this point. You need to make them the same as the old file (now called cacerts.bak). That's why I had you leave it there. So see what the old permissions are and set the new file to the same.

5. Back out to the system folder and reset its permissions (remove write access for the lower two "users"). Failing to do this may cause a bootloop.

6. Shut down the NST and restart it.

Voila!

Reactions: frankbonatelli

typingwriter

May 31, 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write foolproof instructions!

They were, indeed, easy enough to follow and worked perfectly - thank you! I couldn't be happier that I can use the kindle app again! :D

One last question: I tried installing version 4.4.0.7.1. of the kindle app and got the "could not parse package"-error-message. The old version (3.2.0.3.5.) worked out fine, though. Is there any other kind of update I need to run in order to install the newest version of kindle for NST? I had uninstalled the old version before I tried, but maybe that wasn't enought.

Either way - I got my books back! Thanks again for helping me!:eek:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write foolproof instructions!

They were, indeed, easy enough to follow and worked perfectly - thank you! I couldn't be happier that I can use the kindle app again! :D

One last question: I tried installing version 4.4.0.7.1. of the kindle app and got the "could not parse package"-error-message. The old version (3.2.0.3.5.) worked out fine, though. Is there any other kind of update I need to run in order to install the newest version of kindle for NST? I had uninstalled the old version before I tried, but maybe that wasn't enought.

Either way - I got my books back! Thanks again for helping me!:eek:

I'm glad that helped :)

To my knowledge, 3.2.0.3.5 is the end of the line for Kindle on the NST. Parsing errors generally mean the app is for a higher Android version. Be glad there is still a version that works--for now--unlike Google Books.

Edit: I stand corrected! XDA member @cjpicci has surfaced with a fully syncing version of Google Books (1.2.2). You can get it from his post here. And don't forget to :good: him for finding this long-sought version.

Last edited:

typingwriter

May 31, 2014

To my knowledge, 3.2.0.3.5 is the end of the line for Kindle on the NST. Parsing errors generally mean the app is for a higher Android version. Be glad there is still a version that works--for now--unlike Google Books.

I sure am! Thanks again for your help - it's a huge relief to have access to my kindle library again! :eek:

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010

Unless we know of a newer version that is still compatible with NST, I think we are stuck on the one that is posted here. If someone knows of a newer version that is still compatible, and there is some benefit to moving to that newer version, I can try to mod that one as well.

I agree with @nmyshkin, I'm thankful that Amazon hasn't somehow 'deprecated' their reader, knowing that there are these 'old' (seriously is 5 years or so considered old? Don't get me started! :) ) readers out there. I'm still using my NST on trips and stuff and it is still working pretty well. :)

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
If you have a file manager (ES FileManager, Root Browser, etc.) installed with root privileges, it's easy:

1. Download the "more complete" cacerts file from the linked posting and copy it to your NST in some convenient folder (Downloads?).

2. Navigate to the system folder. You'll need to change the privileges on this folder to allow you to copy a file into a subfolder. With either of the two file managers I mentioned, a long-press on the system folder will bring up a either a menu with a list that includes "properties" or a list that includes "permissions". For the former, you need to look for the permissions section of the properties. Once you're at "permissions", enable write access for the two remaining "users".

3. Navigate to the system/etc/security folder and there you will see your current cacerts.bks file. Rename it cacerts.bak.

4. Go to the folder (Downloads?) where you copied the new cacerts file and copy/paste or cut/paste the file into system/etc/security. The permissions on the file are not correct at this point. You need to make them the same as the old file (now called cacerts.bak). That's why I had you leave it there. So see what the old permissions are and set the new file to the same.

5. Back out to the system folder and reset its permissions (remove write access for the lower two "users"). Failing to do this may cause a bootloop.

6. Shut down the NST and restart it.

Voila!

:( Tried that - I had to mount system in ES Root explorer to get the rights, but apart from that followed instructions and still not talking to the Amazon servers Is it time to call it a day with this aging device?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
:( Tried that - I had to mount system in ES Root explorer to get the rights, but apart from that followed instructions and still not talking to the Amazon servers Is it time to call it a day with this aging device?

I just tried the Kindle app, accessing the store (I don't have any books in my account, just local content). I had no trouble.

Humor me and check the permissions of /system and the subsidiary folders. It should be rwx r-x r-x

Check also the new cacerts file itself. It should be rw- r-- r--

The age of the device is somewhat irrelevant if you have the correct app versions and all the configurations set up correctly. There's still a lot of useful life in the NST.

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
Those were a bit different but make any difference.
Also, the Amazon.co.uk web site reports bad certificates.
I used the cacerts file that was from the posters Google download. Maybe I'll try the other two.
I take it you've tested this with the OP's version of kindle app?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've modded the Kindle app to make it more eInk friendly (especially for Nook Simple Touch (NST)). The changes include:

• White mode background is really white, not light gray. White mode text is really black, not something close to black.
    • Black mode background/text same as above.
    • Sepia mode unchanged.
    • Reading progress bar changed from shaded spheres (barely visible on eInk) to empty and filled squares.
    • Library background now white with black text.
    • Other text(s) changed to black.

I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one.
    From what I could see, there is no download link available in the first post, and the other Dropbox link shared above doesn't work either. Is this version of the Kindle app (3.2.0.3.5) no longer supported by Amazon?
    Mmm....I've noticed a distressing number of attachments are MIA after the recent forum upgrade. I have attached a copy below.

Be aware that:

1. you need to update your cacerts.bks file for this app to be able to log in to Amazon. File attached to first post here. Copy to /system/etc/security, overwriting the current file (which you can rename first, if you wish) and setting permissions to rw-r-r. Reboot

2. for this old app Amazon requires a 2-step verification. Your initial log in attempt will "fail" but check your email because Amazon will send you a one-time password to use. After that you should be good to go.
    I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one. If someone can tell me how to sign so that the signatures match that would get around this issue.
    I'm pretty sure the point of signatures is to prove who made the update. That is, only the developers of the app have the original signing key. So I don't think there's a way of getting your signature to match theirs.
    I'm pretty sure the point of signatures is to prove who made the update. That is, only the developers of the app have the original signing key. So I don't think there's a way of getting your signature to match theirs.

Thanks sayno -- I've been thinking about this for a few days and your explanation makes perfect sense to me. Of course this measure will prevent someone from hijacking an app from a known source with another one. Thanks for the reply.
    So, even if you have a 2-step verification with OTP, what you need to do if you get an error message is enter the OTP numbers at the end of your password after you get an error message, and then you are all set!
    Thanks @nmyshkin you are awesome for your help, I am deeply thankful!