FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

482 posts
Thanks Meter: 426

By cgutman, Senior Member on 31st October 2013, 02:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd July 2014, 04:08 PM |#901  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attreyu

Cameron, what would you say it´s the best latency atainable with Tegra chipsets ? 30-40ms ? Can it be improved, especially when we`re dealing with FPS games which require instant response ?

It's probably possible to get below 25 ms average end-to-end with Tegra at 720p60. Lowering the resolution or raising the frame rate can decrease this delay. The hardware decoder is always going to introduce some delay because it buffers some frames. 25 ms is 2 frames at 720p60 which isn't bad, but also doesn't count network and encoder latency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_entry

I don't have anything else connected to the network and wasn't downloading or doing anything else...

Maybe I should get a good wireless AC router, however Steam in home streaming to my macbook air works flawlessly to the point that the games are almost like they're running natively on the Air..

Does Limelight-PC work well on the Air?

3rd July 2014, 04:30 PM |#902  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman

It's probably possible to get below 25 ms average end-to-end with Tegra at 720p60. Lowering the resolution or raising the frame rate can decrease this delay. The hardware decoder is always going to introduce some delay because it buffers some frames. 25 ms is 2 frames at 720p60 which isn't bad, but also doesn't count network and encoder latency.

Does Limelight-PC work well on the Air?

I didn't think to check the PC version of limelight, I have will a go tonight

Do you have an AC router? I was thinking of getting the netgear R7000, but was wondering if would have any bearing on the network latency's compared to the N wireless super hub my ISP (virgin) have given me
3rd July 2014, 06:43 PM |#903  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionx

Hey all. I've got this working flawlessly on my nexus 4 and nexus 7 with the moga hero power locally. However, when I am remote (I've got all the ports forwarded) it gets past the handshake, and begins to start the handshake. After that there is a blank toast that pops up and I am disconnected. Any ideas on what to try? .

Any suggestions on this? I'd love to be able to game on my lunchbreaks
3rd July 2014, 08:55 PM |#904  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:

I have an updated build with more debugging. Please use Force Hardware Decoding. Then please PM me a logcat log of you trying to stream.

Follow this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2355016 and do "Doing logcat for a text file"

APK link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuz5azb3iw...melight-dd.apk

@cgutman - as you requested, attached are the logcats using your limelight-dd.apk with my atv1200 (Mail400) set top box. I included a logcatforced.txt using the forced hardware acceleration which kicks me back to the limelight selection screen immediately after it says "starting video stream." I also included a logcatauto.txt using the auto select option which makes it into Steam but then complains that the AV is too slow. Hope this helps. Thanks again for working with me to debug this.
Attached Files
File Type: txt logcatforced.txt - [Click for QR Code] (495.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: txt logcatauto.txt - [Click for QR Code] (498.3 KB, 2 views)
3rd July 2014, 09:29 PM |#905  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robikonobi

@cgutman - as you requested, attached are the logcats using your limelight-dd.apk with my atv1200 (Mail400) set top box. I included a logcatforced.txt using the forced hardware acceleration which kicks me back to the limelight selection screen immediately after it says "starting video stream." I also included a logcatauto.txt using the auto select option which makes it into Steam but then complains that the AV is too slow. Hope this helps. Thanks again for working with me to debug this.

I see the issue. Whatever ROM you're running isn't exposing the hardware decoding capabilities through the MediaCodec framework. When you force hardware acceleration, it grabs the only H.264 decoder available which is Google's included decoder. Google's decoder doesn't support H.264 high profile, so it crashes when we start to send it a stream encoded in high profile. It's the same crash you get in the Android emulator with hardware acceleration forced on.

See if there's another ROM you can run that does this properly.
3rd July 2014, 11:01 PM |#906  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

I have an updated build with more debugging. Please use Force Hardware Decoding. Then please PM me a logcat log of you trying to stream.

Follow this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2355016 and do "Doing logcat for a text file"

APK link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuz5azb3iw...melight-dd.apk

It's working for me on Fire TV. Try restarting your PC and Fire TV. Sometimes the codec state gets screwed up on Android device.

Hello cgutman,
I saw you put up a new build 2.4.1 or something like that. after installing this one it seems to work every time, I still cant do 1080p@60fps but at least I can do 30fps.
Part of my issue could be that the streaming tab keeps disappearing from Geforce Experience.

I will let you know how I get on
3rd July 2014, 11:29 PM |#907  

More
Quote:

I see the issue. Whatever ROM you're running isn't exposing the hardware decoding capabilities through the MediaCodec framework. When you force hardware acceleration, it grabs the only H.264 decoder available which is Google's included decoder. Google's decoder doesn't support H.264 high profile, so it crashes when we start to send it a stream encoded in high profile. It's the same crash you get in the Android emulator with hardware acceleration forced on.

See if there's another ROM you can run that does this properly.

Thanks for the diagnosis. I am running the latest stock rom that came with the box and I don't think there are any custom roms out there. Is there any other way for this to work? somehow xbmc is able to leverage the h.264 deciding capability of the mali 400 that is built into this amlogic chip.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
4th July 2014, 07:43 AM |#908  
OP Senior Member

More
Major Feature Release: Limelight Android v2.5 Testing
Hot off the build machine for Independence Day (for us Americans). The next major feature release of Limelight Android.

Originally this release wasn't supposed to happen. v3.0 was going to be the next feature release, but with so many features in v3.0, I thought a release in the middle would be better. This is currently an alpha release. Big thanks to s0ckz for the work on app list support.

New features:
- New-ish UI (a better one is coming in v3.0)
- Autodiscovery of GameStream PCs on your network (no need for IP addresses anymore)
- Support for launching other apps besides Steam (and streaming without Steam installed at all)
- Apps on the PC can be quit from within Limelight
- Wake-On-LAN for local and remote PCs
- Remote streaming without having to reconfigure Limelight for streaming over the Internet

Any feedback would be fantastic. Since this is an alpha, please report any bugs you find.

Update - Alpha 3
Changed link to the Alpha 3 build with some bugfixes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c99e7ntlm3...ight-2.5a3.apk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
4th July 2014, 02:38 PM |#909  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
^nice work! Happy 4th!
4th July 2014, 02:46 PM |#910  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:

Hot off the build machine for Independence Day (for us Americans). The next major feature release of Limelight Android.

Originally this release wasn't supposed to happen. v3.0 was going to be the next feature release, but with so many features in v3.0, I thought a release in the middle would be better. This is currently an alpha release. Big thanks to s0ckz for the work on app list support.

New features:
- Autodiscovery of GameStream PCs on your network (no need for IP addresses anymore)
- Support for launching other apps besides Steam (and streaming without Steam installed at all)
- Remote streaming without having to reconfigure Limelight for streaming over the Internet

Any feedback would be fantastic. Since this is an alpha, please report any bugs you find.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwcozeh175...ight-2.5a1.apk

Oooo can't wait to try this out btw in your opinion would upgrading from an N wireless router to an AC router make much of a difference in latency and framerate (my desktop already has an AC dongle)?
4th July 2014, 02:54 PM |#911  

More
Quote:

New features:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwcozeh175...ight-2.5a1.apk

This new build is excellent. Removing reliance on steam is a significant improvement that enhances usability immensely. Thanks for your hard work!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, game streaming, gamestream, geforce experience, shield

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)