[FLASHER] [v1.3 - 2014-07-07] FlashCast: Quickly and easily mod your Chromecast

189 posts
Thanks Meter: 240

By tchebb, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st September 2013, 11:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th October 2013, 05:06 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I followed the instructions on post #1 and was able to run flashcast on my chromecast. It booted up the flashcast screen and after install the software and my chromecast rebooted. Is there anything else I need to do afterward? Or I did everything correctly and my chromecast is not rooted and I can safely leave it plug in 24/7? Or can I update and not lose my root?
The Following User Says Thank You to aznpapaya For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aznpapaya Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 05:25 AM |#102  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpapaya

I followed the instructions on post #1 and was able to run flashcast on my chromecast. It booted up the flashcast screen and after install the software and my chromecast rebooted. Is there anything else I need to do afterward? Or I did everything correctly and my chromecast is not rooted and I can safely leave it plug in 24/7? Or can I update and not lose my root?

Once you install FlashCast to a USB drive, you also need to install a rooted system image such as this one. Otherwise, your Chromecast will still be able to update itself and patch the bootloader vulnerability.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tchebb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tchebb Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 05:45 AM |#103  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb

Once you install FlashCast to a USB drive, you also need to install a rooted system image such as this one. Otherwise, your Chromecast will still be able to update itself and patch the bootloader vulnerability.

Is there a rooted version of an older version? If you were to flash a rooted version of, lets say 12070. Wouldn't you be able to use exploit like Fling?
4th October 2013, 05:47 AM |#104  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,520

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpapaya

Is there a rooted version of an older version? If you were to flash a rooted version of, lets say 12070. Wouldn't you be able to use exploit like Fling?

Nope, no matter what version you flash, AirCast and local streaming will still be blocked/disabled.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 05:48 AM |#105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

Nope, no matter what version you flash, AirCast and local streaming will still be blocked/disabled.

That sucks, I thought it is only blocked for those who updated or were forced to update. Hope there's a way in the near future...
5th October 2013, 02:45 AM |#106  
Flag Nation's Capital
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Just did my first run and got the following screen..Am I rooted or what? do I now remove the flash drive and copy over the v1.1 rom through my PC ? The light is stuck on red.

My PC now recognizes the flash drive as flashcast and has three log files on it. ...am I the only looser home on a Friday night attempting root
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131004_205431 (2).jpg
Views:	508
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	2302488  
5th October 2013, 03:37 AM |#107  
Flag Waltham, MA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_MTP

Just did my first run and got the following screen..Am I rooted or what? do I now remove the flash drive and copy over the v1.1 rom through my PC ? The light is stuck on red.

My PC now recognizes the flash drive as flashcast and has three log files on it. ...am I the only looser home on a Friday night attempting root

If the light is red, you still need to copy the root mod to the USB drive. Once you've done that, the light will stay white for around 5 minutes, then the device will automatically reboot. Once that's happened, you are rooted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tchebb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tchebb Ad-Free
5th October 2013, 03:45 AM |#108  
Flag Nation's Capital
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:

If the light is red, you still need to copy the root mod to the USB drive. Once you've done that, the light will stay white for around 5 minutes, then the device will automatically reboot. Once that's happened, you are rooted.

Thanks for the quick response! copied the root mod and now I have the white light.

EDIT: PAWNED!
5th October 2013, 05:47 PM |#109  
Flag In the swamp!
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzinner

I've tried to root (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2452838) my Chromecast yesterday.
I've built my own powered OTG cable and it was flashing fine.
After it finished flashing Chromecast rebooted and because I had the Internet still connected to the WLAN I unplugged the power from Chromecast to prevent it to update.
After that I've downloaded a moded 13300 firmware (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2453097) to flash it and prevent automatic updates.
I put the .zip on an normal USB and tried to boot with the OTG from this stick. On the TV appeared 5 circles, one of them was red another one green and the others white. I've waited a few minutes but the LED on the cast stayed red all the time.
So I aborted this and restarted the Chromecast normally (with disconnected Internet) and it boot up normally. The Firmware built is 12072.
Because I aborted booting after rooting I thought I might have aborted too early and wanted to try to put FlashCast on again, but it gives me only a red LED now when the on-screen description shows up. Maybe because it's already rooted?
How do I find out now if it is rooted or not and can somebody explain me why I can't put the 13300 firmware on it?
Is it true now that AirCast will still not work even I've rooted it and put a modified firmware on it?

Every help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Quote:

Please try copying the rooted firmware mod to the USB drive again and then retry. I don't recognize your description of the circles on the screen, but that is not FlashCast. If you see the instructions screen with the FlashCast logo and the LED is white, the mod is flashing.

If you still see the instructions screen with a red LED after trying again, please look on the USB drive for a set of files names flashcast-N.log, where N is a number. Copy and paste the contents of the one with the highest number into a forum post, and we'll be able to help you further.

I'm having the same problem. I retried flashing the image to the usb drive, and the same result happens. I just bought it yesterday. I tried to tell what version I have by turning the internet off and setting the chromecast up. It recognizes it and I'm able to get all the way through the setup until it asks to connect to a network. To find out if I have the exploited one do I need to use chrome on my computer? I can't find that info for the firmware on my phone. Here is a pic of what its doing as well. This is a picture of whats on my tv. They're really small if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00665.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	2304082  
5th October 2013, 10:00 PM |#110  
I've been a long time lurker. And finally dropping in to share my 2¢®.
I'll just like to say THANX for this wonderful hack:thumbup:. And that I have completed the process successfully.
Took me a few tries but I got it set up finally...
Pictures added HERE...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
5th October 2013, 10:44 PM |#111  
Flag Waltham, MA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillejoe

I'm having the same problem. I retried flashing the image to the usb drive, and the same result happens. I just bought it yesterday. I tried to tell what version I have by turning the internet off and setting the chromecast up. It recognizes it and I'm able to get all the way through the setup until it asks to connect to a network. To find out if I have the exploited one do I need to use chrome on my computer? I can't find that info for the firmware on my phone. Here is a pic of what its doing as well. This is a picture of whats on my tv. They're really small if that helps.

If you're sure you imaged the USB drive correctly, that screen means your device isn't vulnerable. To confirm, just disconnect your internet cable from your router temporarily and you'll be able to set up the device and check the build number.
The Following User Says Thank You to tchebb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tchebb Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)