FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FLASHER] [v1.3 - 2014-07-07] FlashCast: Quickly and easily mod your Chromecast

189 posts
Thanks Meter: 240
 
By tchebb, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st September 2013, 11:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th June 2014, 06:17 AM |#501  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel2k

Hi,

yesterday I've recieved my Chromecast with 38xxxxxxxxxxx serial, which I've bought in the US. I've rooted it and everything went well. But I wasn't aware, that I would need the Flashcast USB drive afterwards to flash additional addons. So I've used my 64 GB main thumb drive for rooting my Chromecast. Is there a easy and fast possibility to create another Flashcast USB drive without re-rooting my chromecast? I have alot of smaller drives, which I would have used, if I'd have known, that I would continue to need the USB drive after rooting my chromecast.

Thanks

Hmm ... I can't even recall which USB drive I used. Don't upgrades to Chromecast just come over the air once you have installed the rom? Why would you still need any USB drive?

Philip
9th June 2014, 06:37 AM |#502  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel2k

yesterday I've recieved my Chromecast with 38xxxxxxxxxxx serial, which I've bought in the US. I've rooted it and everything went well. But I wasn't aware, that I would need the Flashcast USB drive afterwards to flash additional addons. So I've used my 64 GB main thumb drive for rooting my Chromecast. Is there a easy and fast possibility to create another Flashcast USB drive without re-rooting my chromecast? I have alot of smaller drives, which I would have used, if I'd have known, that I would continue to need the USB drive after rooting my chromecast.

FlashCast doesn't really "root" Chromecast in the traditional manner. Instead, it is more of a flash utility. And (aside from Eureka-ROM updates, which uses its own internal version), you need FlashCast on the USB drive that you're using to flash with.

Hopefully you booted the FlashCast drive a second time to flash Eureka-ROM or another rooted image with stock updates enabled, otherwise your Chromecast likely has automatically updated and is no longer rootable (technically no longer FlashCast-able).

You can prepare another FlashCast drive on any root-capable Chromecast - it won't change anything on your Chromecast - the first boot simply prepares the FlashCast drive for flashing ROMs/mods.
See Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast for flowchart.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
9th June 2014, 11:06 AM |#503  
Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
Hi, thanks for your replies.

My Chromecast with Eureka-ROM is up and running. I'm only searching for a way to migrate my 64 GB Flashcast drive to a smaller one. AFAIK most of the addons are being flashed over the USB stick. For example I've used the stick to flash a DNS-mod, so that Chromecast works with the DNS-server of my router, instead of the Google ones.
9th June 2014, 01:02 PM |#504  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel2k

My Chromecast with Eureka-ROM is up and running. I'm only searching for a way to migrate my 64 GB Flashcast drive to a smaller one. AFAIK most of the addons are being flashed over the USB stick.

Since you have Eureka-ROM you can make most changes, including setting DNS, static IP, etc via its web panel at http://ip_of_Chromecast
there are few mods that need to be flashed with FlashCast nowadays.

As for your stick, it isn't "tied" to that specific Chromecast. There's nothing on it to migrate because there's nothing on it that is unique.

If you want to use a different stick, just create another FlashCast stick, then reformat your 64GB stick and use it for whatever you like.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-
9th June 2014, 01:22 PM |#505  
Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

If you want to use a different stick, just create another FlashCast stick, then reformat your 64GB stick and use it for whatever you like.

Same procedure as if I would want to root the chromecast? Except flashing Eureka again, I guess?
9th June 2014, 01:47 PM |#506  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel2k

Same procedure as if I would want to root the chromecast? Except flashing Eureka again, I guess?

Yes, just the first boot stage from the mini FAQ I linked.
Once the drive has the FAT32 partition it's ready to go for future flashing, no need to flash anything as you already have Eureka-ROM loaded.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
9th June 2014, 07:47 PM |#507  
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 86
 
More
Hi, sorry if this seems like a silly question, but what is the point of rooting a Chromecast? I know the advantages of rooting an Android device and have done so with my Moto X, but I don't really see the point for the Chromecast. Does it let you play more file types, stream from more sources, etc...? My Chromecast is arriving this week and I'm going to use it to watch the occasional movie or TV show, so would there be any point in me flashing FlashCast?
9th June 2014, 08:25 PM |#508  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symthic

Hi, sorry if this seems like a silly question, but what is the point of rooting a Chromecast? I know the advantages of rooting an Android device and have done so with my Moto X, but I don't really see the point for the Chromecast. Does it let you play more file types, stream from more sources, etc...? My Chromecast is arriving this week and I'm going to use it to watch the occasional movie or TV show, so would there be any point in me flashing FlashCast?

Your chromecast will most likely not be rootable. Everything on the shelves now days are updated beyond the flashcast rootable firmware.
9th June 2014, 08:26 PM |#509  
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 86
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prack

Your chromecast will most likely not be rootable. Everything on the shelves now days are updated beyond the flashcast rootable firmware.

:/ darn. Well, my question still stands. If my Chromecast just happened to be rootable, what would be the benefits of rooting it?
9th June 2014, 08:36 PM |#510  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symthic

:/ darn. Well, my question still stands. If my Chromecast just happened to be rootable, what would be the benefits of rooting it?

These should help... I hope.
Root Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root?
Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
9th June 2014, 08:42 PM |#511  
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 86
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

These should help... I hope.
Root Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root?
Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks . Sadly, I don't think rooting is something that I'd want to do, even if it were available as I don't understand half of the features listed (I only know about ADB and whitelists, and I don't even think I could use those to my advantage)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes