Apple iPhone

327 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By _Nomad_, Senior Member on 9th January 2007, 06:21 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
9th January 2007, 10:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Some thoughts... I can't see how it would work for a non-alphabetic language. Hand-writing recognition is easier with a stylus, IMHO.

It seems more like a cool toy. Lots of cool functionality, but limited in its Apple way as usual.

But at least give something for HTC to shoot for.

9th January 2007, 10:49 PM |#12  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK
Thanks Meter: 10

More
darn.. the phone looks very much similar to Windows based type, but much more fancier. With the multi-touch screen that allows you to zoom in by 'spreading' two fingers.. and how the screen change in a scrolling style.. just makes is much.. 'adorable'. And, as with the Apple's history, I think it will have all the stuff that is necessary .. such that there won't be any need for iphone-developers.com Again, since i'm on a low budget, it is out of my reach anyway.. good to have cheap and affortable WM version. Hope the Crossbow will do better.. and . . well, at least give us some eye candy?
9th January 2007, 11:27 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Apple iPhone
... cause I have seen the future.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Sorry. But we are using real "crap" right now!

Maxi
10th January 2007, 12:56 AM |#14  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 16

More
damn thats some nice hardware ... if that thing didnt have apple "software" on it id prolly look at getting one. yahoo news was saying a retail price of $500 US for the 4 gig version ?

id miss my warez too much
TheBrit
10th January 2007, 01:29 AM |#15  

More
Now that DOES look nice.

I'm watching BBC News 24 right now and they say that they have a feature about it coming up soon.

It has some nice innovative features but Apple don't seem to be saying too much about the hardware architecture - more specifically the CPU.
10th January 2007, 01:32 AM |#16  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay555

My God. Time to change my nappy...Man, suddenly my Hermes looks like poo
V

vijay555, unless Apple provides *NATIVE* SDK I won't consider this phone as it means there is no possibility for interesting 3rd party applications (Tomtom is the first that comes to my mind) and I can't create applications.

Widgets are not the same thing as they do not have access to full system resources like Windows Mobile native and to an extent Compact Framework based applications.

Without native SDK this is not a true smartphone but more like Blackberry or a fancy high end phone.
TheBrit
10th January 2007, 01:47 AM |#17  

More
It's on BBC News 24 right now...look VERY nice.

IPod - check
Pocket Computer - check
Cell Phone - check
Blackberry? Oh bugger! Well it's what the clueless jouralist said - I do hope he's wrong. Maybe he just mean blackberry-like features.
10th January 2007, 02:05 AM |#18  
Retired Moderator
Witch Space
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Raven - I'm inclined to agree with you re the SDK. Note, my comment re "defecating on my microphone" is based solely on it's cosmetic appearance.

No one can deny, it's a beautiful piece of engineering. Frankly, I'll probably buy one just to put it down my pants (underwear for those of the US persuasion).

No Windows Mobile manufacturer has come close to achieving the asthetic beauty of Apple engineering (well, except for the black diamond, but that's 600 times more expensive).

I have no doubt the interface work will also be topnotch.

This is not to put down current WinMob hardware. Well, actually it is. Apple has buying power and engineers. I love HTC's manufacturing quality, but Apple is lightyears ahead of the game (well, 5 years according to Steve) in terms of execution. I love my Hermes, but the iPhone looks great.

Whether those of us who rub their hands together at the prospect of modding and enhancing will get much out of it is yet to be seen. I've said before, I buy WinMob because I can program and enhance it. Even with second class hardware, that would still be my first consideration.

However. We are not Apple's market. Apple's market is average buyers who want to switch their bluetooth on and it work. No A2DP, no stutters, no "set as wireless stereo". Switch it on, music comes out of the things on your ears. Those guys will love it. I love it.

However, I have some ideas about bringing some of the goodness home to our phones

V
TheBrit
10th January 2007, 02:08 AM |#19  

More
Here's a BBC News web site article...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6245991.stm
10th January 2007, 03:00 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I can't possibly imagine Apple releasing a phone based on OS X, going up against Windows and NOT having at least as full an SDK as WM5. I also can't imagine it'll work as swell as it looks. We're on what generation of WM devices and they're just now starting to get reliable and intuitive.

Time will tell!

But yeah, the kid side of me is more than happy to shell out $600 tomorrow. It's that learning how to write for a new OS that kind of sticks in my throat.
10th January 2007, 04:25 AM |#21  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgamber

I can't possibly imagine Apple releasing a phone based on OS X, going up against Windows and NOT having at least as full an SDK as WM5. I also can't imagine it'll work as swell as it looks. We're on what generation of WM devices and they're just now starting to get reliable and intuitive.

Time will tell!

But yeah, the kid side of me is more than happy to shell out $600 tomorrow. It's that learning how to write for a new OS that kind of sticks in my throat.

thats a good point, considering Apple would be getting some fallout from Zune (dont laugh im sure someone got one) they would have to have some sort of windows support to lure the windows world.

i still hope HTC sits up and follows it up with something flashy.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread