FOR NEW CAPTIVATE USERS - READ HERE FIRST - FAQs | HELPFUL LINKS

1,316 posts
Thanks Meter: 102

By avgjoegeek, Senior Member on 2nd December 2010, 06:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th May 2011, 01:09 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
been on the site here for a long time now.. just getting around to start posting and helping develop the new gingerbread roms for captivate!

5th May 2011, 12:33 AM |#62  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I have been here since day 1 with my Cappy on launch day with AT&T. Just am finally getting around to posting. Have just been absorbing!
13th May 2011, 01:56 AM |#63  

More
unable to root
hi all i have been reading on how to root and tried many different ways to root my phone none have worked i am using fryo 2.2 - rogers.

When i tired to use oneclick root i received the following error message

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application if you click continue the application will ignore and attempt to continue. If you click quit the application with close immediately.

I am using windows 7.

i can't seem to get around a way on how to root i have tired Z4root and all of the one click root versions nothings seems to help

sorry if this should be posted else where.
please help..
13th May 2011, 09:14 AM |#64  
Flag Halifax, NS

More
I was able to successfully root my stock Rogers 2.2 after sideloading z4root. If I remember correctly it took a couple tries but eventually it took.

Now, as for my question...

As mentioned above I've got a rooted Rogers i896 running the stock 2.2 (UXJL1). I rooted with Z4root, installed Titanium Backup, ROM Manager (But not Clockwork Mod yet) and applied OCLF. What I would really like to do is move to a nice reliable custom ROM (Thinking one of Design Gears' projects) but am feeling totally overwhelmed by the volume of information available on the forums. I'm also having a hard time determining what information is up to date and what's outdated.

From where I'm at now what steps would I take to flash a new ROM (Say Cognition or Firefly)?

Thanks in advance for any help, tips or reading suggestions. Cheers.
14th May 2011, 09:50 PM |#65  
OP Senior Member
Flag Junction City
Thanks Meter: 102

Donate to Me
More
I wouldn't run OCLF as it's not really worth it now days.

For installing a ROM - I would look at the videos posted under the DEV forums as it is pretty straight forward.

And I would trust anything DG posts for Rogers - they are pretty much guaranteed to work and the install process is pretty simple.
16th May 2011, 06:33 AM |#66  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Informative thread. Thank you.
18th May 2011, 07:04 PM |#67  
Flag Mississippi
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Save meh life!
29th May 2011, 05:24 AM |#68  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
awesome guide thanks.
5th June 2011, 05:16 AM |#69  

More
Rooting ATT captivate that is running froyo
I'm a relatively new captivate owner. I did a manual update to put froyo on phone. I'm guessing I have the drivers I need to root, because my laptop recognizes my phone and I transfer files back and forth. Would someone walk me through the one click root method? M dumb it down a little. Please help, would like to root, but don't know a lot about it and want to do it right
5th June 2011, 02:56 PM |#70  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 4,683

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKWHITEBREAD

I'm a relatively new captivate owner. I did a manual update to put froyo on phone. I'm guessing I have the drivers I need to root, because my laptop recognizes my phone and I transfer files back and forth. Would someone walk me through the one click root method? M dumb it down a little. Please help, would like to root, but don't know a lot about it and want to do it right

Frankly, you shouldn't root until you feel comfortable with it. There are numerous methods, read through the Captivate Android Development section, the stickies at the top in particular, understand what you are doing and go for it. It's a bit scary, but trust me, if an old lady like me can do it, you can do it.
8th June 2011, 08:57 PM |#71  

More
Great thread. I've managed to root my brand new captivate using SuperOneClick and use Titanium backup but the How to guide fails at that point when it comes to Clockwork.

I'm sure the info is all here in this forum somewhere. I will eventually find it!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)