[CAUTION] New HTC Desire model spotted. PVT4 - S-OFF: works (AlphaRev 1.8)

Search This thread

ieftm

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2008
Boot your phone in fastboot mode,
this should say something like this in the top line:

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON.

This seems to apply to -NEW- PVT4 devices only.
Apparently there are some older ones named PVT4 as well.

Check using the following:

cat /proc/mtd (from adb shell or terminal emulator)

Erasesize will say either 20000 or 40000, whereas the last one identifies your device as being PVT4 New. This has a different NAND chip, which uses a bigger pagesize and changed partition offsets.
Tools will need to be adjusted to work with this change (for example, ClockWorkmod, AlphaRev, and some custom ROMs.)

Check out AlphaRev 1.8 at http://alpharev.nl , that should install HBOOT S-OFF for these PVT4 new devices now too :)

Last edited:

StuMcBill

Feb 13, 2010
Interesting news ieftm! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Any other notable changes?

Stu

ieftm

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2008

Stu

Everything 'seems' the same, but in fact the NAND partition layout has been completely overhauled. That's why recovery and S-OFF fails for now.

Most likely HTC *might* have switched to a different NAND manufacturer for these devices. Other than that, they seem to be about the same as the SLCD PVT3 devices.

Reactions: ze7zez

ljesh

Jan 31, 2008
Skopje
I don't remember another device's part to be changed so often. First the screen, not (it seems) the NAND...

bbk

Feb 19, 2006
NANTES
What is the differencies between pvt3 and pvt4 ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

snukems

Oct 7, 2010
I have a PVT4 Desire and have a good working recovery, S-Off, and LeeDroid v2.2f, too..;)

could you please tell me how you managed that as i appear to be the first one who told the guys about this problem as it was my phone that messed up after rooting. I am starting to lean to the point that perhaps it was something to do with the clockwork mod img as i found another post in q and a where someone had the exact same problem as me but after putting root on with that and it turned out once they managed to get amonra on the phone they are now fine and have managed to get leedroid. I may give it ago now and report back to see if it works.

chichoko

Dec 19, 2009
Belgrade
Most importantly.. since it seems that the PVT4 model has a new NAND.. is there any notable difference in HD recording? Does it still have problems playing back videos on the device without the custom kernels?

duryard

Jun 15, 2010
Exeter
www.iscasilver.co.uk
Yeah. I got one of them when mine came back from repair.
I used unrevoked to root it which is fine. Recovery works fine as in nand backup and restore but so far I have been unable to install custom roms or older backups of custom roms

fireball2k

Aug 10, 2005
Bensheim
www.marcus-gross.eu
Interesting thing. After trying some things with ieftm who is still debugging for alpharev things, I found out now, that LeeDroid is installable via Amon-RA recovery - maybe even clockworkmod would work, I'll give it a try in a few Minutes. Other ROMs I tried were OpenDesire and Modaco MCR R9, which both failed installing. LeeDroid seems to have it's own drivers...

michaelanyon

Aug 20, 2008
My Desire is PVT4, and its rooted, s-offed and with custom rom

I'm the same - well not tried s off yet..

Tried a few roms - the sense hd roms worked..

But with a few of the roms can't remember names will have to look later, i just got a black screen with different coloured lines down it..

Back to stock now. Now this has been discovered hopefully there will be a custom rom i can use!

fireball2k

Aug 10, 2005
Bensheim
www.marcus-gross.eu
Interesting thing. After trying some things with ieftm who is still debugging for alpharev things, I found out now, that LeeDroid is installable via Amon-RA recovery - maybe even clockworkmod would work, I'll give it a try in a few Minutes. Other ROMs I tried were OpenDesire and Modaco MCR R9, which both failed installing. LeeDroid seems to have it's own drivers...

Short update: clockworkmod for now really doesn't work. Neither with MCR, nor with LeeDroid.

Seems the latest MCR (R9 as of today) has an outdated kernel which doesn't adopt the new memory layout, but leedroid has.

Probably _all_ AOSP kernels won't work on PVT4 devices.

[EDIT]
People with PVT4 devices AND S-OFF... please explain exactly what you did to achieve this.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

protuger

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have PVT4 i have rooted it using unrEVOked.

E: Can't find MISC:
E: Can't mount CACHE: recovery/command
E: Can't mount CACHE: recovery/log

But this message keeps showing everytime im in Recovery.

I have tried LeeDrOiD_v2.2f_A2SD but installation aborted. I tried other roms but still i can't manage to install it

Now i have tried Virtualbox method for S-off(AlphaRev) but flashing failed. The message says something like im not properly rooted. "The phone is not bricked."
You can safely reboot your phone." But i have noticed that during the process 2 black lines appeared at the HTC logo and hangs.

I can Power+VolD to Hboot but im stuck at HTC logo with 2 black lines. It seems i can no longer boot my phone.
I have to pop up the battery and tried again but no luck..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Boot your phone in fastboot mode,
    this should say something like this in the top line:

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON.

This seems to apply to -NEW- PVT4 devices only.
    Apparently there are some older ones named PVT4 as well.

Check using the following:

cat /proc/mtd (from adb shell or terminal emulator)

Erasesize will say either 20000 or 40000, whereas the last one identifies your device as being PVT4 New. This has a different NAND chip, which uses a bigger pagesize and changed partition offsets.
    Tools will need to be adjusted to work with this change (for example, ClockWorkmod, AlphaRev, and some custom ROMs.)

Check out AlphaRev 1.8 at http://alpharev.nl , that should install HBOOT S-OFF for these PVT4 new devices now too :)
    I have PVT4 i have rooted it using unrEVOked.

E: Can't mount CACHE: recovery/command
    E: Can't mount CACHE: recovery/log

But this message keeps showing everytime im in Recovery.

I have tried LeeDrOiD_v2.2f_A2SD but installation aborted. I tried other roms but still i can't manage to install it

Now i have tried Virtualbox method for S-off(AlphaRev) but flashing failed. The message says something like im not properly rooted. "The phone is not bricked."
    You can safely reboot your phone." But i have noticed that during the process 2 black lines appeared at the HTC logo and hangs.

I can Power+VolD to Hboot but im stuck at HTC logo with 2 black lines. It seems i can no longer boot my phone.
    I have to pop up the battery and tried again but no luck..

I had the same thing!

I went on this page http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/

downloaded PB99IMG_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.2_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_151783_signed.zip (third one from above) , renamed it to PB99IMG.zip
    and put it on sdcard and flashed it in bootloader and everything back to normal!
    I tried downgrading but fail.Now waiting for more info how to install custom rom :(

Stu

Everything 'seems' the same, but in fact the NAND partition layout has been completely overhauled. That's why recovery and S-OFF fails for now.

Most likely HTC *might* have switched to a different NAND manufacturer for these devices. Other than that, they seem to be about the same as the SLCD PVT3 devices.
    Here
    sent via morse code .__._
    Hi, I'm also an unlucky owner of a DESIRE BRAVO PVT4 S-ON with Erasesize of 40000 using stock RUU of Asia.
    I managed to ROOT it with unrEVOked 3 using the Amon-RA recovery image (was not working with CWM). Now I'm stuck.
    Besides waiting for a solution to S-OFF this type of HW config (like alpharev in HBOOT),
    ==> How could I permanently mount the /system an /app folders with R/W permissions using my ROOT access and maybe some tools/apps?

I'm not that experienced so far, I've read quite a lot of posts and websites but didn't find the answer. Is the S-ON preventing from any possible changes in the system?

Other question:
    ==> Is it possible to install an app as System app from the recovery mode using Amon-RA with my stupid PVT4 S-ON?

My objective is to install CPU tuner that nags it doesn't have write access for updating min&max CPU speed.
    thanks a lot for your tips.

1. no other way afaik. you can mount /system rw only via recovery if you're not s-off.
    2. you can try putting the apk in /system/app only via recovery, be wary of the other dependent libraries though (e.g. adobe reader have a lib in /data/data that should be put in /system/lib)