What works:
  • Nandroid
  • Factory resetting
  • Clearing caches
  • Update zip flashing
  • USB mounting

Notice:
  • What to do if your nandroid freezes at /cache, /data, /datadata:
    • Flash update-CWMfixer-1.zip as an update zip and try again.
    • OR: Factory reset and manually restore data (Not recommended)
  • Notes about sd-ext:
    • If you get the error message while nandroid: "sd-ext.img not found. Skipping restore of /sd-ext." This is normal, as sd-ext is an optional partition.
    • If you get the error message while formatting: "E: format_volume: make_ext4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2", same as above

Controls:
  • Vol Up: Scroll up
  • Vol Down: Scroll down
  • Camera: Select item
  • Back: Go back

Changelog:
  • Sep 09 2012: Updated to 6.0.1.2
  • Aug 21 2012: Added workaround for nandroid issues
  • Aug 07 2012: Updated to 6.0.1.1
  • Jul 21 2012: Updated to 6.0.1.0 - Updated instructions
  • Jul 20 2012: Updated to 6.0.0.9
  • Jul 18 2012: Updated to 6.0.0.6
  • Jul 17 2012: Updated to 6.0.0.1
  • Jan 1 2012: Initial release

2char

Last edited:

kakagi

Apr 24, 2011
Kolkata
Motorola Edge 30
thanx a ton....its a big step towards venue android development

some question i have...
is mounting of data, cache working and wiping data cache etc and the advance feature like partion sd card etc working ?

kakagi

Apr 24, 2011
Kolkata
Motorola Edge 30
how to boot into cwm? i flashed it through fastboot but cant boot in this cwm...
whats the procedure? i tried mute+vol up+vol dwn+power and mute+vol dwn

edit: got it

Last edited:

streak4m3

Nov 14, 2010
You switch mute to OFF hold both volume buttons down and power on. You will see a menu with 3 options, choose the one to upgrage SW package and choose with the camera button.

Reactions: MJW

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
For those on ROMs that do not have the stock recovery available - will we be able to extract the recovery somehow now that we have CWM if we need/want to go back to stock?

Edit: I see that the zip file for my BB (307) from this thread contains the recovery.img. Can that recovery.img be flashed with fastboot to revert to the stock recovery?

Last edited:

streak4m3

Nov 14, 2010
Yes, I am pretty sure stock recovery image file will revert you to stock (with the appropriate .pkg file if available).

Last edited:

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
Yes, I am pretty sure stock recovery image file will revert you to stock (with the appropriate .pkg file).

My question is will that recovery.img, extracted from the zip, work with fastboot? This would be used if there is a problem with the Venue (mine is still under warranty).

There is no .pkg file for the 307 ROM that I am aware of.

streak4m3

Nov 14, 2010
My question is will that recovery.img, extracted from the zip, work with fastboot? This would be used if there is a problem with the Venue (mine is still under warranty).

There is no .pkg file for the 307 ROM that I am aware of.

I see, sorry I misunderstood the question. I have flashed the .img files for 307 from the zip file via fastboot before and it worked fine.

Reactions: marvin02

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
The recs in the stock image thread are the actual recoveries for that rom.

Those were all dumped manually, this is the first of any custom recovery that i've made available, publicly or privately

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
I have installed this and am playing with it.

I can say that not even a battery pull will stop the factory reset from the first screen if you choose it by accident and there is no prompt to continue. You can probably figure out how I know this. :eek:

I did get this error:

E: unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]

When selecting to wipe dalvik cache.

And when viewing the log I got a bunch of lines that said:

failed to open /sys/class/android_usb/android0/state: No such file or directory

I did a wipe data/factory reset from the first CWM screen. My Venue booted fine afterwards. The output is attached below.

Tested with no apparent ill effects:

first CWM screen:

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

advanced screen:

wipe Dalvik cache (see error note above)
wipe battery stats
Key Test
Show Log
Fix permissions (takes a bit, be patient)

Reboot recovery just does a normal reboot unless you hold both volume buttons.

Doing a factory reset from the first screen did not remove CWM and did not remove root.

Problem: Backup and restore sat on "Backing up data..." for quite a while. The first time I did a battery pull after a few minutes and tried again. The second time I let it sit for about 12 minutes and it never moved off of "Backing up data...". What should happen when it completes a nandroid? Does it take longer than this?

Attachments

• CWM-09.jpg
    CWM-09.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 293
  • CWM-10.jpg
    CWM-10.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 341
  • CWM-14.jpg
    CWM-14.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

MJW

Feb 20, 2011
Sussex, NJ
I did get this error:

When selecting to wipe dalvik cache.

Problem: Backup and restore sat on "Backing up data..." for quite a while. The first time I did a battery pull after a few minutes and tried again. The second time I let it sit for about 12 minutes and it never moved off of "Backing up data...". What should happen when it completes a nandroid? Does it take longer than this?

I get the same results across the board (except factory wipe - wasn't going there). I also get the same dalvik wipe error on my Viewsonic GTab, nothing to worry about.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I did get this error:

That's a known (non)issue, sd-ext is what data2ext uses as it's partition, it's also known as perfmod on the s5. As the venue has no data2ext/perfmod it's not relevent

And when viewing the log I got a bunch of lines that said:

failed to open /sys/class/android_usb/android0/state: No such file or directory
that files does not exist in the venue's kernel, /dev /proc and /sys are generated at bootup by the kernel, the contents are determined by what's turned on/off in the kernel. /sys/class/android_usb simply does not exist in the kernel (I used the 408 recovery kernal btw)

The most I can do is try and surpress it, but that's only debug lines in the log, usb mounting works for me so it's not critical

Doing a factory reset from the first screen did not remove CWM and did not remove root.
Root always copies over /system/(x)bin/su and that cant be removed by a fac reset.

Fac reset only wipes /cache and /data

Unlike streakmod on the s5 though, you should be able to trust the fac reset in CWM5.5

It's always safe to pull the batt during nandroid READS but never writes. What is the exact step it stops at? I've had some issue with nandroids in the unreleased 5.0.2.7 but I thought it was fixed in 5.5.0.x.

If there are any nandroid issues it's likely in CWM itself as I havnt modified CWM at all while compiling any of the CWMs

The nandroids are not perfect yet regardless, I'd recommend rooting and using titanium backup (or whatever you prefer) on top of nandroids till there's more reports of success/issues

Last edited:

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
. . .What is the exact step it stops at? I've had some issue with nandroids in the unreleased 5.0.2.7 but I thought it was fixed in 5.5.0.x. . . .

See the attached image. It gets to "Backing up data..." and then just sits there and never completes.

Edit: the image is from the first attempt. It stopped at the same spot on two other attempts.

Attachments

• CWM-15.jpg
    CWM-15.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 214

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Does it start backing up at all or immediately stops right as it hits data?

if it's the 'lost+found' bug it should stop after hitting it hits the 'lost+found' folder and have some of the contents of data

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
It might an issue in CWM 5.5 then

S5:
cannot back up userdata partition (/firstboot)
can back up innerSD data partition (/data)

v:
cannot back up userdata partition (/data)

They're both the partitions on the nand itself, the s5 one just happens to be smaller.

For the same reason I'm not yet releasing CWM 5.5 for the s5, a fac reset might fix it so you can make nandroids afterwards (if you restore with TB afterwards it may still continue working). It SEEMS to work for me but that would mostly defeat the purpose of nandroids.

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
. . . a fac reset might fix it so you can make nandroids afterwards (if you restore with TB afterwards it may still continue working). . . .

Those first tests were immediately after a factory reset. I am sure you are aware of the work on StreakMod Recovery and might want to see what was done to fix nandroids on that. That is the one feature of CWM I would like to see as solid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements:
    • Ability to enter fastboot mode
    • Basic understanding of the command line

Install instructions:
    1. Download Clockwork mod recovery.img
    2. Turn device off
    3. Move ringer to UP position
    4. Hold down Power and Volume Down
    5. Flash the recovery with "fastboot flash recovery <path to recovery.img>"

What works:
    • Nandroid
    • Factory resetting
    • Clearing caches
    • Update zip flashing
    • USB mounting

Notice:
    • What to do if your nandroid freezes at /cache, /data, /datadata:
      • Flash update-CWMfixer-1.zip as an update zip and try again.
      • OR: Factory reset and manually restore data (Not recommended)
    • Notes about sd-ext:
      • If you get the error message while nandroid: "sd-ext.img not found. Skipping restore of /sd-ext." This is normal, as sd-ext is an optional partition.
      • If you get the error message while formatting: "E: format_volume: make_ext4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2", same as above

Controls:
    • Vol Up: Scroll up
    • Vol Down: Scroll down
    • Camera: Select item
    • Back: Go back

Changelog:
    • Sep 09 2012: Updated to 6.0.1.2
    • Aug 21 2012: Added workaround for nandroid issues
    • Aug 07 2012: Updated to 6.0.1.1
    • Jul 21 2012: Updated to 6.0.1.0 - Updated instructions
    • Jul 20 2012: Updated to 6.0.0.9
    • Jul 18 2012: Updated to 6.0.0.6
    • Jul 17 2012: Updated to 6.0.0.1
    • Jan 1 2012: Initial release

2char
    Updated to 6.0.1.2
    Updated to 6.0.1.0
    There will be an update to 6.0.0.5 (or whatever is newest) in a couple days.

Edit: CWM 6.0.0.6 is now live.

I have only explictly tested against 6.0.0.5, as koush is pushing out an update every other hour.
    (we went from 6.0.0.2 -> 6.0.0.6 in the course of a day)

Everything seems to work in 6.0.0.5, and I assume will too in 6.0.0.6.

If there are any issues, please provide me with a copy of /cache/recovery/log and last_log.
    (You may need to be rooted to access those)
    You switch mute to OFF hold both volume buttons down and power on. You will see a menu with 3 options, choose the one to upgrage SW package and choose with the camera button.