[Q] Have I bricked my phone?

Search This thread

giflet

Feb 14, 2013
Hey guys I need help, I've been trying to fix my phone for days now with no luck.

(HTC Desire)
Basically this is what happend. I had an MIUI Rom for ages and decided I want to update it. So I used my SD card and downloaded the new rom and flashed it all worked fine.

I then read I should make a ext partition and in the process of it I broke my sd card some how and my phone stopped booting. So I followed a tutorial to put the Rom back on my phone by using adb push to put the rom in the data partition of my phone. But the data partition on my phone was only 140mb and the miui rom was 180mb so I got a smaller 120mb rom and pushed it to the phone and flashed it using adb shell recovery --update_Package=DATA:Rom.zip or something along those lines.

So the rom was working fine but I really didn't like it so my friend offered for me to use his sd card to put my old rom back. So i went through the process but when I clicked install file from zip it just said "no files found" but I know the rom was there. I tried using the adb shell recovery command except with /sdcard/ rather than DATA and I just got signature verification failed. I disabled signature verification in recovery and it still gave me the same error on the phone but on the command prompt window i keep getting these errors:

insmod: can't insert '/res/modules/crc16.ko': invalid module format
insmod: can't insert '/res/modules/jbd2.ko': invalid module format
insmod: can't insert '/res/modules/ext4.ko': invalid module format

After messing about a bit more my phone crashed so I had to remove the battery and my friends SD card became unreadable and needed formatting. He won't let me use it now lolol.

So now im in a position where my phone won't boot at all and when I try to use adb shell to flash a new rom I get those errors in command prompt and signature verification failed. I've also discovered im getting these errors regardless of whether the rom is there or not.

Sorry for the long post but im desperate and any help would be very much appreciated!:(

giflet

Feb 14, 2013
Does your phone still boot in hboot?

You need to find a working sd-card. What did you use to partition it? How did you break it?

I used minitool partition wizard I think. I followed some steps in a guide and when I put the SD card into my phone after it said "unrecognised SD format" or something similar so I tried the process again and which point my phone doesn't pick up the SD card at all anymore. So I put it in a memory card reader on my pc and it still picks it up so i deleted all the partitions and reformated it and still only my PC will pick it up phone just says insert SD card.

When I turn on my phone it says HTC for a split second then goes straight to fastboot as if i was holding down vol down + power when I power it on.

Why doesn't the push rom to DATA partition and recover from there work anymore?

abaaaabbbb63

Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
I used minitool partition wizard I think. I followed some steps in a guide and when I put the SD card into my phone after it said "unrecognised SD format" or something similar so I tried the process again and which point my phone doesn't pick up the SD card at all anymore. So I put it in a memory card reader on my pc and it still picks it up so i deleted all the partitions and reformated it and still only my PC will pick it up phone just says insert SD card.

When I turn on my phone it says HTC for a split second then goes straight to fastboot as if i was holding down vol down + power when I power it on.

Why doesn't the push rom to DATA partition and recover from there work anymore?

You broke your sd-card by using Minitool. Why do you guys use it anyways?!? If you get a new sd-card, check the guide in my sig.

I think you don't need an sd-card to flash a RUU by the exe method. Get the Official 2.3 RUU by these means:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1772499
Extract the "RUU_HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade (Gingerbread).exe" from within the "HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade.zip:" then connect your phone to your PC in fastboot, and run the exe.

You will probably need HTC Sync installed, and fastboot drivers.

giflet

Feb 14, 2013
You broke your sd-card by using Minitool. Why do you guys use it anyways?!? If you get a new sd-card, check the guide in my sig.

I think you don't need an sd-card to flash a RUU by the exe method. Get the Official 2.3 RUU by these means:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1772499
Extract the "RUU_HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade (Gingerbread).exe" from within the "HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade.zip:" then connect your phone to your PC in fastboot, and run the exe.

You will probably need HTC Sync installed, and fastboot drivers.

Thank you so much! Got the phone to boot using your method but now it says insert simcard =/ is this because I used the wrong rom or something?

Thanks!

giflet

Feb 14, 2013
I don't know. The RUU is fine. Maybe there's dust in the sim slot.

Or maybe, if it's locked, there's somehow a sim lock problem. Try unlocking it with the sim unlocking utility.

I can still acess fastboot actually and my phone recognises the phone when im in fastboot, but as soon as the phone boots the pc stops recognising it and cant find drivers for it anymore :(

Sorry for being a pain.

Edit: Unplugged my phone from the pc and plugged it in again and I got "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM X No driver found"

Last edited: