[Updated 2009-02-11] Scrobble 1.3 - a free crossword puzzle game

Search This thread

hanackin

Apr 6, 2008
toulouse
thanks for the dictionary ;)

but you've already posted it on the first page LOL :D i'm kidding, hey dude ;)

No I was talking about having the app in french instead of english, so all the menu, pop up, etc... :cool:

edit : for the the font you can get it here, it is the "hand" one

bigchrizzieboy

Sep 30, 2007
Near Amsterdam
Scrobble 1.0 on QVGA

More people asking how it looks and works on QVGA. So i installed version 1.0 and tested it, maked some screenshot's again (like i dit with the prevois versions). It's tested on my HTC Kaiser WM 6.1 in portrait

What has changed (what i think):
The scroll-bars disappeared when moved to lower right, but the board is stil a quarter off what is supposed to be.
More things are readable, but not yet everything.
See the zoomed in screenshots:
- little numbers beside the letters
- letters on the board
- last word (upper-right)
- "loading" text

pic1: how it starts. - pic2: moved with d-pad to upper left - pic3: moved to lower right - pic4: moved back (center button) playing a couple off words.
6o1w20.png

pic1: Zoomed in after submitting a word - pic2: Zoomed in after a move
jtb5ao.png

p.s.
Sorry for forgetting the "ê" in the dictonary:eek:, good to see it's used in this game.
I use SPB screenshot for the screenshots:)

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
Multi-language support for menus, labels, buttons, etc.

thanks for the dictionary ;)

but you've already posted it on the first page LOL :D i'm kidding, hey dude ;)

No I was talking about having the app in french instead of english, so all the menu, pop up, etc... :cool:

edit : for the the font you can get it here, it is the "hand" one

Heh yeah I was thinking "didn't I already post a French dictionary??" but thought maybe I'm just going crazy. Now I see what you mean.

If you would like to translate all the menu items, labels, button captions, etc. to French I'll consider putting a "Game -- Language" menu item that gives you a dropdown and changes the language.

EDIT 2: I was considering offering support for other languages for the game menus, labels, buttons and other text. But after I started programming multi-language support I gave up because I currently have everything hard-coded in. So it would take a long time to convert and rewrite everything. Maybe I should have thought of that when I started and just wrote everything in Esperanto!

Last edited:

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
QVGA screenshots

More people asking how it looks and works on QVGA. So i installed version 1.0 and tested it, maked some screenshot's again (like i dit with the prevois versions). It's tested on my HTC Kaiser WM 6.1 in portrait

What has changed (what i think):
The scroll-bars disappeared when moved to lower right, but the board is stil a quarter off what is supposed to be.
More things are readable, but not yet everything.
See the zoomed in screenshots:
- little numbers beside the letters
- letters on the board
- last word (upper-right)
- "loading" text

Thanks for these screenshots. It helps me to determine what I need to change to make it more QVGA-friendly (the Microsoft QVGA device emulator doesn't work very well). I will try to write some code in an upcoming version that will detect sub-VGA resolutions and move/resize some of the letters, fonts, etc. to make them display better on QVGA screens.

Until then, when you play Scrobble you might just want to have the scores for each letter handy / printed out!

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
no multi-language support after all

I considered it, and started coding it, but it would take me a long time just to add support for other languages (for the menus, buttons, labels, etc.)... as everything is currently hard-coded in and would involve an extensive modification.

I'd rather start a new interesting project! I hope everyone will be okay with English.

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
v1.1 coming soon

Oops -- my bad! I didn't notice that the board no longer is correctly sized on QVGA/WVGA screens in version 1.0.

I'm fixing this and some other things in v1.1. I should have it done and released by around 11PM PST (GMT-8) on Sat. Jan 31, 209! (If you REALLY want to play Scrobble ASAP!! :) )

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
Greek support

If you can find a Greek dictionary in text file format and make it fit the following criteria:

1. A single text file, not binary / database / etc. The entire dictionary should be easily editable in Notepad.
2. All UPPERCASE letters. (Use the free Notepad++ for this... Select All, then Edit -- to Upper case).
3. A single list of words, one word per line, no breaks, no spaces
4. You must convert all "special" letters to their A, B, C, ..., X, Y, Z equivalent.. so Ö becomes O, Ä becomes A, etc.

...then I will convert it to a format that Scrobble can use. I searched Google for ~5 minutes but couldn't find a Greek dictionary. So if you can find one then just zip it and attach it to a post! :)

luzz

Mar 22, 2008
This new software looks very nice, thank you for your work.

Thanks for the french dictionary too.

Can I make some requests?

Adapt the score of each letter for the language (p.e. english W=4; french W=10). These scores could be integrated in the head of the dictionary

Solo game mode (like in duplicate scrabble) with possibility to see the top score of the CPU after each turn.

Is the actual french dictionary the official one ODS5 (378989 words)?

Last edited:

hanackin

Apr 6, 2008
toulouse
Thanks acrosser for the update

And dude, no worries for the multilingual support, it doesn't matter :cool:

If you can't then it is not a big deal, after all, we all speak English here so it is not a problem :D

arene

Jan 23, 2007
Purmerend
Is it possible to add words? For example the dutch dictonary is very limited. Very common words aren't in the dictionary.

Like it very much!!!

Last edited:

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
French dict details

This new software looks very nice, thank you for your work.

Thanks for the french dictionary too.

Can I make some requests?

Adapt the score of each letter for the language (p.e. english W=4; french W=10). These scores could be integrated in the head of the dictionary

Solo game mode (like in duplicate scrabble) with possibility to see the top score of the CPU after each turn.

Is the actual french dictionary the official one ODS5 (378989 words)?

These are good requests. I might implement the feature where you can see what the highest possible CPU/AI score would've been for each of your human-player turns.

As for the different letter scores on a per-language basis --- this is hard-coded into the game and would take some time to implement, so I doubt I will do this.

This appears to be the ODS4 French dictionary, with 369,085 words in it. If you can find ODS5 French dictionary in the format described in the first reply on this thread, then I will convert it to the Scrobble format.

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
Adding words

Is it possible to add words? For example the dutch dictonary is very limited. Very common words aren't in the dictionary.

Like it very much!!!

Glad you like it! It's not possible to add words. But if you can find me a larger Dutch dictionary that matches the criteria (see the first reply on this posting, with the 4 requirements for a dict text file)... then I will convert it to Scrobble format.

lastnikita

Sep 3, 2006
hi, doesn't work on WQVGA, it thinks it's VGA and doubles the grid :(
could you make a quick fix ? I know you can :D

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
hi, doesn't work on WQVGA, it thinks it's VGA and doubles the grid :(
could you make a quick fix ? I know you can :D

What exactly is WQVGA? I don't have a device with that res to test on... and I don't think I have an MS WM emulator to test that resolution either.

Can you post some screenshots (SPB or Ilium Screenshot software are good for that) of the game so I know what it looks like, and possibly what to fix?

Also, did you try using the D-Pad to move the board around?

lastnikita

Sep 3, 2006
wqvga is half wvga, ie 400x240 :)
now the grid only is doubled (and it can be moved around, but that's useless), here's a snap:

Attachments

• pc_capture2.png
    pc_capture2.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 17

luzz

Mar 22, 2008
Here's the ODS5 french dictionary (the last one)

And if ever you want it ;), the score for each letter in french scrabble:

A,E,I,L,N,O,R,S,T,U : 1 point
D,G,M : 2 points
B,C,P : 3 points
F,H,V : 4 points
J,Q : 8 points
K,W,X,Y,Z : 10 points
Joker : 0 point

Attachments

• ods5.zip
    876.9 KB · Views: 28

acrosser

Nov 20, 2008
www.spacetornado.com
I've just installed v1.1 on my SPV M3100 (aka HTC TyTn) with Windows Mobile v6.0, but I'm still only seeing the top left hand quarter of the board. Any suggestions?

Have you tried moving the board around using your D-Pad arrows? Unfortunately the board is too big for that small of a display, and Scrobble was designed for VGA resolution so only about 1/4 of the board will display at one time on QVGA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok!!! That's good news so :D

I will wait for the next release so :cool:

Thanks dude