USB Host/OTG testing

Search This thread

seedy oak

Nov 25, 2012
I just got my DNA yesterday, and I have been testing a few USB peripherals to see how they work with an OTG adapter. I was unable to get anything working without an external power source, so I don't think the DNA is capable of delivering power via the port.

My setup consists of the following:
1. Belkin F5U234 4-port USB 2.0 hub
2. The hub is powered via a Mini USB Y-cable plugged into a USB PC/USB charging adapter (I can't seem to find the power adapter that came with the hub, but when I do, I'll test it)
3. The other end of the Y-cable is plugged into the OTG adapter, which is then plugged into the DNA.

From my experience so far, the hub has to be powered, with at least one peripheral plugged in, prior to plugging it into the phone.

I have been able to mount an SD card from a card reader and mount a USB flash drive.
I have been able to use a USB mouse.
I have not been able to get the phone to recognize a DSLR for use with DSLR Dashboard. However, I have not been able to do this on my Touchpad either, so it may be an operator malfunction. I've tried a Nikon D600 and D80.
USB keyboards should work.
Logitech Gamepad is recognized.
External hard drives are recognized, but should be formatted correctly.

Also worth noting is that the phone displays a message saying it's unable to charge the device and to use the supplied charger when the OTG cable is plugged in.

If someone can recommend a decent MIDI app for Android or a music production app, I have both MIDI devices and a Rocksmith cable that I can test with.

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
It has the ability to do USB otg self powered, just not enabled. Kernel needs it enabled.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
What format do you use for your hard drive? NTFS?

I've been plugging in USB flash drive, it mounts, but doesnt see any of my files on it... Also, it completely messed up my media files on the internal card, videos mostly, so I'm basically restoring the phone... :(

Icyman

Apr 17, 2010
Richmond
OTG WORKS

I just got my DNA yesterday, and I have been testing a few USB peripherals to see how they work with an OTG adapter. I was unable to get anything working without an external power source, so I don't think the DNA is capable of delivering power via the port.

My setup consists of the following:
1. Belkin F5U234 4-port USB 2.0 hub
2. The hub is powered via a Mini USB Y-cable plugged into a USB PC/USB charging adapter (I can't seem to find the power adapter that came with the hub, but when I do, I'll test it)
3. The other end of the Y-cable is plugged into the OTG adapter, which is then plugged into the DNA.

From my experience so far, the hub has to be powered, with at least one peripheral plugged in, prior to plugging it into the phone.

I have been able to mount an SD card from a card reader and mount a USB flash drive.
I have been able to use a USB mouse.
I have not been able to get the phone to recognize a DSLR for use with DSLR Dashboard. However, I have not been able to do this on my Touchpad either, so it may be an operator malfunction. I've tried a Nikon D600 and D80.
USB keyboards should work.
Logitech Gamepad is recognized.
External hard drives are recognized, but should be formatted correctly.

Also worth noting is that the phone displays a message saying it's unable to charge the device and to use the supplied charger when the OTG cable is plugged in.

If someone can recommend a decent MIDI app for Android or a music production app, I have both MIDI devices and a Rocksmith cable that I can test with.

A year ago I bought an OTG cable for my Rezound and of course it didn't work.
So yesterday, I visited the Verizon store to do a little testing with my dust laden OTG cable.

1) The DNA has a default setting for mounting SD cards. Settings--> Storage--> Mount SD. When I ticked this tab....bam!

2) The DNA recognized my Micro SD card from my Rezound phone. Upon opening the music player, the DNA found my music and played a song. Unfortunately, the phone didn't have a file manager app installed and the play store didn't have an account to enable downloading apps.

3) The DNA recognized my Logitech IR USB dongle but I wasn't able to get the keyboard working in the limited time I had. The Logitech keyboard showed up under Settings--> Launguage & keyboard--> Keyboard & input methods.

While I would prefer an SD slot, there is something to be said about being able to plug-in any USB storage device. I plan to return to the store and test further. For me, this is a game changer. I am seriously considering upgrading to this phone.

Now to overcome the case/battery issue. I'm very used to the comfort of the Rezound with the bulkier extended battery/case/holster setup. Fits perfect on my hip & hand, lasts all day and it's rooted with wifi tether. Meets all my needs but 1080p is addictive...

Apex i ITR

May 26, 2006
A year ago I bought an OTG cable for my Rezound and of course it didn't work.
So yesterday, I visited the Verizon store to do a little testing with my dust laden OTG cable.

1) The DNA has a default setting for mounting SD cards. Settings--> Storage--> Mount SD. When I ticked this tab....bam!
What brand did you buy? I'm waiting for my DNA to get approved and I'm very interested in being able to continue to use my external SD card....plus if game pad peripherals work I'd be highly interested in that.

Now to overcome the case/battery issue. I'm very used to the comfort of the Rezound with the bulkier extended battery/case/holster setup. Fits perfect on my hip & hand, lasts all day and it's rooted with wifi tether. Meets all my needs but 1080p is addictive...

My rezound's battery life is poor if I'm being optimistic and this is with barely using it. I have tried various kernels, roms, and batterys and I think this is just my third lemon.....Dying to get out of this into something else. I've read the fears on battery life but anything is better then what I have and a quadcore processor is worth dealing with it for the performance gain.

rfarrah

May 30, 2008
OKC
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Bought THIS cable on ebay for a couple of bucks. Plugged a micro usb reader (with my 32Gig card in it) in one end and the other into my phone and voila! Complete access to my old external sd. Played my music fine and if I was rooted, I could restore an old Titanium backup. Love it!

LakerFam0824

Feb 12, 2011
Dixon, IL
So I been reading up on things dusting off my half knowledge of HTC (been since the Eris days) and from what I understand s-off is something that hasn't been real achievable for the phones that don't have am external sdcard. If what this thread is discussing do some more knowledgeable people think that this could be used to obtain s-off? The possibilities of this could be very promising our just wishful thinking!!

Sent from my AT100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

morpheousrx

Dec 13, 2010
Was thinking the exact same thing....I know the crazy genius devs will figure something out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
What format do you use for your hard drive? NTFS?

I've been plugging in USB flash drive, it mounts, but doesnt see any of my files on it... Also, it completely messed up my media files on the internal card, videos mostly, so I'm basically restoring the phone... :(

I belive the drive must be Fat untill NTFS is enabled in the kernal (based on the way the EVO worked)

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

wisconsinated

Feb 23, 2010
Wanted to weigh in. I got an otg cable and used a Usb hub (not powered externally) and both my Logitech g9x mouse and Microsoft sidewinder x4 keyboard work and are powered by the phone. The game pad I have does not work.

edit: some pictures for proof just incase

2a4nzmd.jpg

4uul9t.jpg

Also I know its hard to see the lights on the keyboard but they are on as well.

Last edited:

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Got the Butterfly X920d today.

USB OTG working without hubs so far for: wireless USB keyboard and mouse, external storage, and most importantly for me USB AUDIO! Gamepads are a bust so far, but yet to try my gamepad (so far Logitech F310, PS3, Xbox 360 for Windows controller not working via USB OTG even with USB/BT controller, even the Wiiremote is not working over bluetooth when it did on my One X last year).

bakemcbride21

Sep 15, 2009
I can't wait for my USB OTG adapter I ordered from Amazon on 12/21/12 to finally get here off the slow boat from China (actually it's Japan I think)! lol estimated delivery still shows 1/18-2/5..but for $0.86 I cannot really complain.

slvrdrgn123

Sep 15, 2009
I can't wait for my USB OTG adapter I ordered from Amazon on 12/21/12 to finally get here off the slow boat from China (actually it's Japan I think)! lol estimated delivery still shows 1/18-2/5..but for $0.86 I cannot really complain.

The one i got from amazon just came yesterday. Worked with Sd card reader, will have to try to get a ps3 controller to work. Have no real need for it right now, but for 80 cents, might as well have it for when i do need something.

jamdmyers

Dec 30, 2010
I've used a USB for a mouse and keyboard and SD card, yes SD must be FAT32 but I use a 32g card with no problems, streamed Movies at ease, between this, dnla and cloud I've got 8 gig free on my phone..

illusionz

May 10, 2010
anyone figure out how to get the 360 to work?

Lights power on, but flashes and goes away when Android gives me a notification "Unable to charge"

Doesn't work with USB Stick Center, etc...

I can mount flash drives and such however

illusionz

May 10, 2010
I've been waiting for a reply to this since 2013. Almost 5ish years lol.

How could I enable USB OTG self powered mode?

Bud, I doubt anyone has very many functioning dna's at this point. But I would check out roms that support this out of the box at this point.

Last edited: