FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad

955 posts
Thanks Meter: 212
 
By jul644, Senior Member on 26th August 2011, 04:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th August 2011, 10:37 PM |#11  
kevina90's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag maryland
Thanks Meter: 73
 
More
Now they have Debian chroot. Works great as well. Both can coexist at once. All it is is a folder at /media/extfs

Btw, has anyone gotten gnome working? I keep getting segmentation faults.
 
 
29th August 2011, 12:15 AM |#12  
Senior Member
Flag The United States of America (also known as "USA")
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Is there a way to make that partition without meta doctor?
29th August 2011, 02:02 AM |#13  
Senior Member
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 496
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGonzo

Is there a way to make that partition without meta doctor?

metadoctor makes a partition

you could loop a filesystem ontop of the existing partition to avoid this issue, but the page below recommends against it

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Chrooting
29th August 2011, 04:48 AM |#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: No such file o
r directory


Why am i getting this error when trying to mount? It's really ticking me off as I haven't done anything different from the instructions.



I just spent an hour redoing the whole thing and guess what... i'm pissed off

same ****
29th August 2011, 02:53 PM |#15  
Senior Member
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 496
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvillian

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: No such file o
r directory


Why am i getting this error when trying to mount? It's really ticking me off as I haven't done anything different from the instructions.



I just spent an hour redoing the whole thing and guess what... i'm pissed off

same ****

looks like you didn't do metadoctor properly,
or you didn't make the /media/ext3fs directory,
or "mount -o remount,rw" didn't execute properly

1st problem: your touchpad should have around 10GB free(out of 16GB, or do the math if you have a 32/64gb)
2nd problem: go back to cmd prompt and check that /media/ext3fs exists
3rd problem: reinstall via webos doctor and do it again
29th August 2011, 04:13 PM |#16  
Komodo Rogue's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag DC
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevina90

Now they have Debian chroot. Works great as well. Both can coexist at once. All it is is a folder at /media/extfs

Btw, has anyone gotten gnome working? I keep getting segmentation faults.

Sorry, this is off topic. I'm sure Android will get here, but I really want to use my Touchpad (I haven't done much because I figured everything would get wiped anyway this weekend), so I think I'm going to give Linux a go. My understanding of Linux is rather crap. I thought Linux was the OS, and Ubuntu and other things were just GUIs to make it easier for people unfamiliar with command line. How could Debian simultaneously coexist?

I know I could go to wikipedia and look around and try to understand it, but by chance does anyone know any website that kinda describes Linux to beginners? I don't just want to follow the directions step by step on the guide (although its brilliant, looks very easy)without having the slightest effin idea what everything is, you know? Its weird, Linux confuses me, I don't know why. I've used ubuntu a number of times but it's just browsing firefox, not exactly rocket science!

Thanks if you can easily give link and press send then thanks but don't go out of your way, I can find something eventually, but I don't want someone else mucking around for my sake. Its no emergency.
29th August 2011, 10:01 PM |#17  
yareally's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 228
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo Rogue

Sorry, this is off topic. I'm sure Android will get here, but I really want to use my Touchpad (I haven't done much because I figured everything would get wiped anyway this weekend), so I think I'm going to give Linux a go. My understanding of Linux is rather crap. I thought Linux was the OS, and Ubuntu and other things were just GUIs to make it easier for people unfamiliar with command line. How could Debian simultaneously coexist?

I know I could go to wikipedia and look around and try to understand it, but by chance does anyone know any website that kinda describes Linux to beginners? I don't just want to follow the directions step by step on the guide (although its brilliant, looks very easy)without having the slightest effin idea what everything is, you know? Its weird, Linux confuses me, I don't know why. I've used ubuntu a number of times but it's just browsing firefox, not exactly rocket science!

Thanks if you can easily give link and press send then thanks but don't go out of your way, I can find something eventually, but I don't want someone else mucking around for my sake. Its no emergency.

I would just find a book on amazon about linux with good reviews made in the past 1-2 years. I would look for one that is distribution neutral.

The reason you can have webos on there and another version of linux is because it's basically installed in another partition (not really, but that's the easiest way I can describe it to you). The actual details of how chroot works are different, but that should relate enough to you to get what it it is.
29th August 2011, 10:58 PM |#18  
gunnyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,696
 
Donate to Me
More
Linux is the Kernel. Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and the rest are distributions of that kernel along with a GUI, and programs to make it a fully functional OS like Windows or OS X.
The Debian and Ubuntu on WebOS is minimal pared down distribution with no gui.
30th August 2011, 12:04 AM |#19  
gunnyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,696
 
Donate to Me
More
I just went thru all the steps , contacting the army of monkeys, and installed all the preware stuff.

I get Service Error Unable to run command : /sbin/initctl start org.webinternals.debian-squeeze etc etc

Unknown job org.webosinternals.debian-squeeze-chroot.

I got this with the Ubuntu chroot too. any ideas?
30th August 2011, 12:07 AM |#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperWastage

looks like you didn't do metadoctor properly,
or you didn't make the /media/ext3fs directory,
or "mount -o remount,rw" didn't execute properly

1st problem: your touchpad should have around 10GB free(out of 16GB, or do the math if you have a 32/64gb)
2nd problem: go back to cmd prompt and check that /media/ext3fs exists
3rd problem: reinstall via webos doctor and do it again

I've redone webos doctor like 4 times already.

How do I check if the directory exists? Plus i'm on a fresh 32gb, so its not that.

thanks


edit: i tested to see if the directories existed and i found a possible error.

i just cd to the folder to see if it exists, and media/ext3fs existed.
but the /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs doesn't exist apparently...
would that be the issue?
30th August 2011, 12:42 AM |#21  
xfinrodx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane
Thanks Meter: 76
 
More
Quick question: I have a 16 gig touchpad. I have somewhere between little and no interest in WebOS. I figured I would compile my doctor with a 12GB ext3 partition, thinking I would have more space available to Ubuntu for storage. I am unable to get Xecutah to run- in fact, it doesn't seem to install properly. Under WebOS I show a scant .5GB free space, but I don't care about WebOS. (Here comes the "quick" question) Do I actually need a more evenly divided memory partition scheme just to get it to run?

(Solved. Yeah, 12 was too big. Needed ~5GB on a 16GB device)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes