FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Touch Interface kexec Bootloader/Installer] nsboot aka NinjaSwag Bootloader beta

211 posts
Thanks Meter: 340

Post Reply Email Thread
31st May 2013, 01:11 AM |#21  
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomonroe

I am a little confused on the install process, would you mind elaborating.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Copy all the installer files you want to have available to sdcard, just in case, this is a beta.
You need two copies of uImage.nsboot, one you put on the sdcard, the other you memboot:

Code:
novacom boot mem:// < uImage
Wait for it to get to the Main Menu.
Go to installer menu->install uImage, and navigate to the copy you put on the sdcard, and reboot.

if you're switching from moboot
Boot "nsboot" from the moboot menu.
Install all your kexec tar files, these are needed for things to show up in the boot menu.
Try booting all your OSes from nsboot.
if you are fine with the state of things, and want to use nsboot as your main bootloader, go to install menu -> replace moboot with nsboot.

If you're doing a new installation
Since at this point you have the default bootloader setup, this is a bit different with regards to testing.
Keep your TP tethered to the PC.
Try booting all your OSes, but you'll have to do the memboot command from recovery mode each time until you select install menu -> replace moboot with nsboot (sort of a misnomer in this case.)
Do so when you are fine with the state of things, and want to use nsboot as your main bootloader.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to castrwilliam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift castrwilliam Ad-Free

31st May 2013, 01:13 AM |#22  
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapjonny

Is it possible to install Ubuntu 13.04 and 12.10 at the same time?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Planned feature. I may be able to get it working tonight.

Look at the github logs https://github.com/willcast/nsboot/commits/master - generally, every time I update it on github I'll upload a new "revision" on Google Drive.

It's already come a long, long way.

EDIT: it's up! https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WU...it?usp=sharing
31st May 2013, 11:22 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrwilliam

EDIT: it's up! https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WU...it?usp=sharing

I get reboots caused by kernel panic while i am trying to Format a new volume or install something to it

Edit : i got "cant open moboot verbose"or something like this by installing the New nsboot

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE]

The Following User Says Thank You to imapjonny For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imapjonny Ad-Free
31st May 2013, 07:28 PM |#24  

More
I managed to get ubuntu 12.10 installed to as u can see in picutre 1. I installed it into a volume called ubuntu-root2 and extracted the kexec-ubuntu.tar on top of it . But if i wanna boot it it fails (see other pictures). I think it trys to boot up from the wrong partition, from ubuntu-root. Do i have to change something in kexec-ubuntu.tar to let it boot from ubuntu-root2 ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130531_201916.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	2007415   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130531_201942.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2007416   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130531_201953.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	2007417  
31st May 2013, 10:54 PM |#25  
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapjonny

I managed to get ubuntu 12.10 installed to as u can see in picutre 1. I installed it into a volume called ubuntu-root2 and extracted the kexec-ubuntu.tar on top of it . But if i wanna boot it it fails (see other pictures). I think it trys to boot up from the wrong partition, from ubuntu-root. Do i have to change something in kexec-ubuntu.tar to let it boot from ubuntu-root2 ?.

Update: I just added the necessary code for nsboot to automatically modify kexec tar files installed to non-default volumes. I also redid the Ubuntu kexec tar to have updated kernels, which enhance both 13.04 and 12.10. Redownload nsboot and kexec-ubuntu.tar and install them each, and you can also put the kexec-ubuntu.tar on your 13.04 volume, it has extra features.

MAJOR UPDATE - nsboot uImages now have support for adb (the Android debug bridge.) You can run a shell in the bootloader environment, and push or pull files from any mounted filesystem.

Also, debuggable core dumps are copied to the nsboot/log directory of your SD card in the event that nsboot quits and the system reboots

Lastly, formatting is now fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to castrwilliam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift castrwilliam Ad-Free
2nd June 2013, 02:26 PM |#26  
Bennington, NE
Thanks Meter: 163

More
I keep getting an error "Untarring failed with code 2" when trying to install an android kexec tar. I also get a reboot when trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 (at the untarring step, after maybe 2 minutes of waiting). Anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I could do to help troubleshoot?

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Socrguru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Socrguru Ad-Free
2nd June 2013, 04:35 PM |#27  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrguru

I keep getting an error "Untarring failed with code 2" when trying to install an android kexec tar. I also get a reboot when trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 (at the untarring step, after maybe 2 minutes of waiting). Anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I could do to help troubleshoot?

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

if you're using the latest version, whenever it reboots abnormally it creates these files, in /sdcard/nsboot/logs:

core-nsboot, nsboot.err, nsboot.out

Send "core-nsboot" to me and I can debug the program almost as if it were actually running. The issue with this is that certain things need to match up between my binary and yours, so it's critical that you reproduce the bug with the absolute latest revision from Google Drive.

With regards to the ubuntu-13.04 problem, I'd like to know which options you used to install it. Typically these symptoms indicate that the ubuntu-root LVM was never mounted, and the tarchive is extracted into the ramdisk, which eventually fills up all available RAM, and crashes something or other (there is an "out-of-memory killer" but it can't free ramdisks, only kill processes).

I'm about to attempt to duplicate the kexec android issue too, I have a 32GB model and just keep all my installer archives permanently on the sdcard.
The Following User Says Thank You to castrwilliam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift castrwilliam Ad-Free
2nd June 2013, 05:03 PM |#28  
Bennington, NE

More
Quote:

if you're using the latest version, whenever it reboots abnormally it creates these files, in /sdcard/nsboot/logs:

core-nsboot, nsboot.err, nsboot.out

Send "core-nsboot" to me and I can debug the program almost as if it were actually running. The issue with this is that certain things need to match up between my binary and yours, so it's critical that you reproduce the bug with the absolute latest revision from Google Drive.

With regards to the ubuntu-13.04 problem, I'd like to know which options you used to install it. Typically these symptoms indicate that the ubuntu-root LVM was never mounted, and the tarchive is extracted into the ramdisk, which eventually fills up all available RAM, and crashes something or other (there is an "out-of-memory killer" but it can't free ramdisks, only kill processes).

I'm about to attempt to duplicate the kexec android issue too, I have a 32GB model and just keep all my installer archives permanently on the sdcard.

It should the be latest version, I just found this thread yesterday (recently got a Surface Pro, so my TouchPad has taken a backseat for a bit).

When installing Ubuntu, I went to the Installer menu, chose tar.gz file to default LV, and selected the file (TouchPadBuntuRootfs1304f.tar.gz). I used 4000 for the new volume size. I have tried creating the LV first ("ubuntu-root") prior to installing, and got the same result. The installer menu does create the ubuntu-root LV if I don't have one before trying to install.

I had no problems installing the CM10.1 zip (can see the LV's it created, too), but the kexec tar just isn't working for some reason.

I just re-transferred all my files to the TouchPad again and tried to install Ubuntu again - did not get the reboot this time, but got "extraction failed with exit code 2" after "extracting .tar.gz file, this may take 10+ minutes". Would there be a core-nsboot created with this that would help you?
2nd June 2013, 05:07 PM |#29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrguru

It should the be latest version, I just found this thread yesterday (recently got a Surface Pro, so my TouchPad has taken a backseat for a bit).

When installing Ubuntu, I went to the Installer menu, chose tar.gz file to default LV, and selected the file (TouchPadBuntuRootfs1304f.tar.gz). I used 4000 for the new volume size. I have tried creating the LV first ("ubuntu-root") prior to installing, and got the same result. The installer menu does create the ubuntu-root LV if I don't have one before trying to install.

I had no problems installing the CM10.1 zip (can see the LV's it created, too), but the kexec tar just isn't working for some reason.

I just re-transferred all my files to the TouchPad again and tried to install Ubuntu again - did not get the reboot this time, but got "extraction failed with exit code 2" after "extracting .tar.gz file, this may take 10+ minutes". Would there be a core-nsboot created with this that would help you?

If, when it crashed, it said something like:
Code:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
error encountered, copying core file(s) to SD card and rebooting
...then it created that file. Check on your SD card for the file - and also, your version is new enough that you can connect the TP running nsboot to your computer, and pull the files with adb:
Code:
adb pull /mnt/media/nsboot/logs/core-nsboot
In the case of it just saying 'error code 2', you might have a corrupted tarchive... how are you copying it, and what's its file size (and if you can get it, the md5sum?)

Oh, you're installing CM10.1? The problem is probably that it's treating it as CM10 / Android 4.1 (currently the only ZIP names specifically recognized as 4.2 are "ev*.zip" and "Evervolv-*.zip" because they were the first.) Then, when you try to install kexec-android42.tar it tries to find volumes for Android 4.2 and doesn't.

I'll update it now, I'll just go the CM10.1 threads and get the file names.

An aside, it seems that whatever I do, either 4.1 fails to boot or 4.2 does, and I'm not sure of the current state of affairs. Don't be shocked if I have to push out a fix for 4.2 to boot.
2nd June 2013, 05:24 PM |#30  
Bennington, NE

More
Quote:

If, when it crashed, it said something like:

Code:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
error encountered, copying core file(s) to SD card and rebooting
...then it created that file. Check on your SD card for the file - and also, your version is new enough that you can connect the TP running nsboot to your computer, and pull the files with adb:
Code:
adb pull /mnt/media/nsboot/logs/core-nsboot
In the case of it just saying 'error code 2', you might have a corrupted tarchive... how are you copying it, and what's its file size (and if you can get it, the md5sum?)

Didn't get any segmentation faults (that I could see).

I got the tarchive from your Ubuntu 13.04 thread, it's 622,990 kb with an MD5 of E46078076A5F893BEFB324B125103D61 (both on my computer and on my TouchPad, so not a bad transfer). I've been connecting the TouchPad as USB drive in WebOS and transferring that way.

MD5 of uImage.nsboot is FBC649A6A096FBFF33ED6FDAAA50C9EF, if that matters for anything.
3rd June 2013, 10:06 PM |#31  

More
Quote:

Update: I just added the necessary code for nsboot to automatically modify kexec tar files installed to non-default volumes. I also redid the Ubuntu kexec tar to have updated kernels, which enhance both 13.04 and 12.10. Redownload nsboot and kexec-ubuntu.tar and install them each, and you can also put the kexec-ubuntu.tar on your 13.04 volume, it has extra features.

MAJOR UPDATE - nsboot uImages now have support for adb (the Android debug bridge.) You can run a shell in the bootloader environment, and push or pull files from any mounted filesystem.

Also, debuggable core dumps are copied to the nsboot/log directory of your SD card in the event that nsboot quits and the system reboots

Lastly, formatting is now fixed.

Where Can i finde the New kexec-ubuntu.tar?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)