[MOD] Webtop Via HDMI Without a Dock

Search This thread

TopazAaron

May 17, 2009
Thanks to:
TopazAaron - For catching a typo in my install script.

No problem, we are all here to help one another.

Thanks for making the script flashable. helps me since after i did this something happend to my adb on the phone/ comp

It wasnt this. it somthing with my computer. I got a replacment for thinking it was the phone, but the new bionic does the same crap for soemthing :(

welbinator

Jul 19, 2010
ok so...with this I'm supposed to be able to use webtop mode without the hundred dollar or whatever webtop accessory that they sell, right? So am I supposed to get a blue tooth keyboard or something? or am I sill controlling this from my phone? how is this different from mirror mode?

thanks =]

dub24

Sep 29, 2007
Minnesota
Works great! Installed on my friends Bionic with the ADB method.

Any chance this could be ported to other devices/brands with HDMI output? Is there more built into the kernel/ROM than just these APK's?

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
ok so...with this I'm supposed to be able to use webtop mode without the hundred dollar or whatever webtop accessory that they sell, right? So am I supposed to get a blue tooth keyboard or something? or am I sill controlling this from my phone? how is this different from mirror mode?

thanks =]

This enables the option to select Webtop mode when you plug the HDMI cable in...once you start it the phone turns into basically a mouse/keyboard combo, an area where you can manipulate the cursor, and a Left and Right click and keyboard popup button for control.

stoffelck

Aug 30, 2010
Oh can I

Ok got webtop running with just a cable. It is way over there and six feet tehered to the big screen.

I want to control webtop session from my laptop!

That would be heavenly nice.

can someone make that happen somehw?

great!

Seems i could use my laptop keyboard and mouse. kind of a slick webtop vnc deal?

duddy11

Jun 17, 2010
Hey, I came from the theory from v 1.2, and I was wandering how do you get the webtop doc to actually work? I installed the latest theory rom (1.4), and I also installed the webtop hack zip file from CWR, but when I plug in my hdmi cable, and go to my app drawer, I can not find the webtop doc app. It is missing. Is it supposed to be missing? How do I get it back? Thank you in advanced

duddy11

Jun 17, 2010
never mind . i got it to work. apparently the hdmi cable eas not plugged in all the way. so cheap. anyways. is there a way to speed up the dock os?seems reallu sluggish to me. for a dal core cpu and 1 gb of ram, it should be flying. let me know what guys think. gj developers for all uoir hard work. keep it up. we appreciate it

superbalde

Mar 11, 2010
Is everyone's Webtop running at 720P? That's what mine runs at and I can't change that resolution. Even when I change the overscan or the display settings in webtop. In the display settings i can only "shrink to fit" and I can't change the resolution regardless if that is checked or not.

das7771

May 9, 2009
Plantation
After flashing this mod through CWM it worked well. One issue that I found is after flashing this zip my screen no longer times out. I can change it to 30 secs, one minute, two minutes, etc but the screen never automatically turns off. You have to do it manually using the lock button. Flashed back to my nandroid backup that I made before flashing this mod and it is now working correctly, so it seems to be related to this mod.

Fenny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
After flashing this mod through CWM it worked well. One issue that I found is after flashing this zip my screen no longer times out. I can change it to 30 secs, one minute, two minutes, etc but the screen never automatically turns off. You have to do it manually using the lock button. Flashed back to my nandroid backup that I made before flashing this mod and it is now working correctly, so it seems to be related to this mod.

That is possibly a side effect of running the mod on a non-deodexed rom... if you were to deodex the whole system partiton that behavior *should* be changed.

Versatile1

Aug 29, 2011
Texoma
I have noticed that the audio/video is choppy while using mirror mode to watch xvid/divx videos i dont think it is a codec issue as it plays fine without the HDMI cable. Any help?

das7771

May 9, 2009
Plantation
That is possibly a side effect of running the mod on a non-deodexed rom... if you were to deodex the whole system partiton that behavior *should* be changed.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am running the stock rom that I debloated myself and used the auto-deodexer zip that I found at another forum. Not sure if that is good enough or if I need to be using a custom doeodexed rom.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
Is everyone's Webtop running at 720P? That's what mine runs at and I can't change that resolution. Even when I change the overscan or the display settings in webtop. In the display settings i can only "shrink to fit" and I can't change the resolution regardless if that is checked or not.

Mine when its first plugged in before the settings are set (when it shows the M logo) will show 1080 on my TV then it changes to 720p and asks if I want to change the settings. In the settings I get a couple different resolutions, but the only HD one is 720p, no 1920x1080 .. anyone able to set this using the hack?

msmith0957

Jul 20, 2010
Mine when its first plugged in before the settings are set (when it shows the M logo) will show 1080 on my TV then it changes to 720p and asks if I want to change the settings. In the settings I get a couple different resolutions, but the only HD one is 720p, no 1920x1080 .. anyone able to set this using the hack?

Same issue here.. is this common for webtop even with the 'official' adapters?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have enough confirmations that I can now confirm this is working, and have made a flashable zip install method for those less technical of us.

What this mod does:
    It removes the device ID string check from PortalApp, and enables the webtop option in DockService. Replacing these two apk files effectively allows the webtop to launch without proprietary hardware.

What this means to you:
    Webtop mode over any HDMI without an expensive dock.

Installation:

Method 1: Flashable ZIP

Method 2: ADB install
    Download the package here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=734235&d=1317262181
    First Get the files to the device and remount /system as rw:
    Code:
    adb push DockService.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb push PortalApp.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Backup the original files:
    Code:
    mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
    mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
    cp /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
    cp /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak

Copy the modded files over fix permissions and reboot:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/sdcard/DockService.apk /system/app
    cp /mnt/sdcard/PortalApp.apk /system/app
    chmod 644 /system/app/DockService.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/PortalApp.apk
    reboot
    Thanks to:
    TopazAaron - For catching a typo in my install script.

Appreciate my work? Buy Me a Beer:

I did this.

waiting for my bro to let me use the hdmi cable.

btw i couldnt get system to mount with tho command.
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    i had to use
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    Make a flashable zip now :)

Also, don't try to do this with root explorer. You'll get force closes without "Portal.apk" :eek:
    Just flashed the .zip and plugged in my HDMI. Nothing happened.

Do you have ADB set up, can you post a logcat log?
    flashed the zip and it worked like a charm. So well infact i am typing this on Webtop

Edit: No terminal, I tried ctrl alt t and got an error