[Q] How to block B&N 1.41 update?

Search This thread

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
well currently i've got wi-fi enabled so i'm gonna see what happens within the next few days.
I've had my wife's NT configured changing only registry->com.bn.device.fota.mode to "manual" using SQLite for the last several days. Wifi has been on the whole time, and she's still at 1.4.1 and able to download Market apps.

That may mean exactly nothing, of course, other than that I've been lucky so far, but there you go.

gorelow

Jul 16, 2008
still didnt work. am i going through all this trouble to save 100 dollars? wont the glaxy tab or thrive give me access to all my android market stuff? and all my amazon apps?
are those machines inferior to this one? and id have an hdmi port. im wondering if its only the money thats making people go through this nonsense. not being sarcastic. honestly curious to know what to do. thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Required Apps:
    - Root Explorer (in market)
    - SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
    1. Open Root Explorer
    2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
    3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
    4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
    5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
    6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
    7. Select "Edit Field"
    8. Replace auto with manual
    9. Select "Save"

not my post just info from forums how to block otas the easy way.
    Hi Friends. Like all of you I am upset by 1.41 update. Thankfully so far it hasn’t gotten to me and I have my wireless off that said I am wondering if someone in the know can give us some fast blocks that will work until this mess gets straightened out. Can we get a step by step detail of what works such as:

Un-rooted to block 1.41 update:
    1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402540

Rooted to block 1.41 update:
    1. Indirect's root and debloater installs FOTAKill with gapps

If you already have been hit by 1.41 do:
    1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402190 and (see above)

Talk about spoon fed.

Don't be a douche, if you're not posting to help then don't post at all.
    I'm half tempted to take back my NT and just get a refurbished NC now for $130.

Nah don't do that. This is XDA-Developers not XDA-Giveupwhenthemanufactueresdosomethingthatupsetsus.

Yeah, it takes a little time to do the work but if we didn't like it or if it was easy we wouldn't be here spending the time doing it.
    Thwarted again! I went back to 1.4.0 using the magic SD card method and tried installing the Hidden Setting App over in development, then went back to 1.4.1 to see if that app would provide a workaround for the problem. The funny thing is the app does work and even let's you check the box to enable 3rd-party installs. But B&N's block overrides it still. Trying to install an app results in the same old message...

BTW, when I used the magic SD card to go back to 1.4.0 it made my "n" button not work. I went to settings via the quick settings menu and did another factory reset, which took several tries because it kept force-closing. Then it was good to go after that.