Moto G root solution

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Hi all!

I have created a Moto G root solution - well, 2 actually. The first is a 'superboot' and I also have an alternate modified recovery method in case that doesn't work. ;)

The downloads are stickied here - http://www.modaco.com/forum/751-motorola-moto-g/

The approach i've used for the alternate method should also let us do a custom (CWM / TWRP) recovery. :D

Cheers,

P

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
andrux-and-me.blogspot.com
Moto G
Moto E
i have already linked both on the FAQ, directly to your original MoDaCo threads, so that most people could access them :)

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
Until now,you first need to unkock your bootloader,
Option 1 : then follow this guide [original thread - on MoDaCo]
Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]
The first method is recommended as it doesn't mess with the recovery. But the second is there as a backup. ;)
After you get root, please read Q19

one question though, is the second method to be used only if the first one failed or both are "equivalent" in terms of efficiency and risk taken ? If the second method works for everybody, then it should be the one preferred :)

edit : this thread should be stickied here too

Last edited:

shure2

Jun 24, 2008
Many thanks for this. Will there ever be an unlock for the boot loader that doesn't void our warranty?

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
i have already linked both on the FAQ, directly to your original MoDaCo threads, so that most people could access them :)

Option 1 : then follow this guide [XDA thread] or this one : MoDaCo source [original thread - more up-to-date]
Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]​

one question though, is the second method to be used only if the first one failed or both are "equivalent" in terms of efficiency and risk taken ? If the second method works for everybody, then it should be the one preferred :)

The first method is recommended as it doesn't mess with the recovery. But the second is there as a backup. ;)

P

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

m3adow

May 20, 2011
adminswerk.de
Tried method A with Linux and Windows, didn't work. The second method worked like a charm as soon as I understood how to navigate the bootloader (note to me: read instructions on screen).

Good work.

bunnahabhain

Nov 8, 2010
I rooted my device with the first method - worked.
Now i was finally able to install Xposed to get rid of the carrier label and block Ads with Adaway ;)

Thanks!

terminal 7

Jan 27, 2008
exeter, uk.
Root

Recovery sideload method worked for me when superboot did not.

Had my Moto-G a couple of weeks now and its rooted with dpi set to 240 global and Xposed framework installed with app setting module so i can set other individual apps to other more usable dpi scale.

all in all this is a great device and priced in such a way that its an easy device to try any mod or attempt any hack without worrying too much

Cheers for the tools again Paul.

all we need now is a fully working recovery where we dont have to select the line above to perform the action we want, twrp would be super cool !

==PEACE==

G

GuestK0044

Both are failing for me. Says everything copies right but on boot up nothing. Also cant sideload the SU app.

--Edit--

I was able to get root by using TWRP http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2561757 and then flashing the SU app from the first method.

Rebooted opened the SU app and it asked to updated using TWPR

Phone flashed the updated files in TWRP

Rebooted phone with root access!

Last edited:

santhrax

Aug 2, 2008
Vienna
Tried solution 1 (no custom recovery) with Windows 7

no problems at all
Thanks

****** UPDATE ******

rooted a second Moto G - solution 1 (no custom recovery) - also working like a charm!
thanks for the Guide!

Moto G - German Version

Last edited:

m7ia

Sep 2, 2010
Long Island, NY
So is there any method to unlock the bootloader without going through Motorola? Then you could unlock the bootloader but relock it if you need to send in your device for warranty service. Otherwise, they'll have your ID on file requesting an unlock code, and I assume would refuse any warranty service (wonder how strict they are about this?).

nupi

Dec 11, 2010
So is there any method to unlock the bootloader without going through Motorola? Then you could unlock the bootloader but relock it if you need to send in your device for warranty service. Otherwise, they'll have your ID on file requesting an unlock code, and I assume would refuse any warranty service (wonder how strict they are about this?).

Unless someone cracks the protection that the ID provides (which may not even be possible if it is in hardware), no. By law in most countries in Europe the voiding your warranty part is a bit tricky, for obvious hardware failures, they would still have to support you in any case. In the US, you are, as usual, screwed..

If you only want to root, MAYBE someone can come up with a privilege escalation exploit that would do that job. Would be easier than trying to crack the bootloader protection, I'd imagine.

enrique097

Oct 29, 2013
Hello there.
Hi, I fixed the problem was that I used the google back up of my previous phone with the motorola migration, I had to delete everything with the recovery mod and then it worked.
I got this problem what should I do. Thank you

Then I tried the other method and comes up device no found

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

I have created a Moto G root solution - well, 2 actually. The first is a 'superboot' and I also have an alternate modified recovery method in case that doesn't work. ;)

The downloads are stickied here - http://www.modaco.com/forum/751-motorola-moto-g/

The approach i've used for the alternate method should also let us do a custom (CWM / TWRP) recovery. :D

Cheers,

P

Option 1 : then follow this guide [XDA thread] or this one : MoDaCo source [original thread - more up-to-date]
    Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]​

P

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk
    Go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583652

But I would suggest NOT to flash 4.4. boot loader after you have downgraded it.

I would suggest not downgrading it in the first place. TWRP is now booting on 4.4 bootloaders (although the touchscreen is really messed up, but it supposedly was in 4.3 too), and messing with bootloaders is a good way to hardbrick your device. Properly fixed recoveries should be available in the next few days.

Option 1 : then follow this guide [original thread - on MoDaCo]
    Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]
    After you get root, please read Q19

You rooted the US version with the 4.4 OTA with one of these methods ? Which one worked ?

I rooted using method 1 with 4.4 ota already applied. I had to do some extra steps that OP may want to add. After unlocking my bootloader, I had to flash the 4.3 bootloader (fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img) then do the steps. After I finished, I flashed the 4.4 bootloader and everything worked just fine. I tried 5 times to root with the 4.4 bootloader and then it only took me one try with the 4.3 bootloader. Hope this helps anyone who was stuck.