Turn Chromecast off after use

Search This thread

ScottXe

Feb 15, 2006
After I use the Chromecast and switch the input source of my TV to other mode, how can I switch off the Chromecast? Thanks!

ScottXe

Feb 15, 2006
You don't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If there is no power off button, the Chromecast will operate as long as the AC adapter is connected. It wastes the power when you do not use it and is an environmental issue. How come does it have such design flaw? Looking at the spec, it is CEC compatible but not every old TVs are CEC compatible. Google must fix it to save the energy as you know now energy saving is very heated subject.

FrayAdjacent

Dec 22, 2010
Austin Texas
If there is no power off button, the Chromecast will operate as long as the AC adapter is connected. It wastes the power when you do not use it and is an environmental issue. How come does it have such design flaw? Looking at the spec, it is CEC compatible but not every old TVs are CEC compatible. Google must fix it to save the energy as you know now energy saving is very heated subject.

Design flaw? Use a short USB cable to plug it into the USB port on the TV. When the TV turns off, the Chromecast turns off.

IIRC, it only draws something like 5W. That's not going to jack your electric bill up much at all.

Reactions: 3857 and Jersey846

ScottXe

Feb 15, 2006
Design flaw? Use a short USB cable to plug it into the USB port on the TV. When the TV turns off, the Chromecast turns off.

IIRC, it only draws something like 5W. That's not going to jack your electric bill up much at all.

You are quite right if the TV is equipped with USB ports. The Chromecast comes with an AC adapter and that assumes that the TV may not have USB port like my 42" LG LCD TV. For the latest TVs, all will go for smart TVs and Chromecast has no market at all in the future. YouTube and Netflex apps are the must for the latest smart TVs. It is an interim product to fill the gap.

All new TVs in Europe must have power management feature that it will go into standby mode if you do not change any mode or channel in 4 hours in order to meet ErP Directive legislation.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
You are quite right if the TV is equipped with USB ports. The Chromecast comes with an AC adapter and that assumes that the TV may not have USB port like my 42" LG LCD TV. For the latest TVs, all will go for smart TVs and Chromecast has no market at all in the future. YouTube and Netflex apps are the must for the latest smart TVs. It is an interim product to fill the gap.

All new TVs in Europe must have power management feature that it will go into standby mode if you do not change any mode or channel in 4 hours in order to meet ErP Directive legislation.
I have a Samsung Smart TV with YouTube and Netflex apps but maybe it's not smart enough as the YouTube app only shows selected videos. Maybe the next model up from mine that came with WiFi would have had YouTube internet access but I don't know.

mildlydisturbed

Oct 28, 2010
Nashville
I'll pull out the Kill-a-watt later, but the adapter it's running on and the draw should be less than 3kW a year. That would be about 20 cents of electricity if it reached that level.

ScottXe

Feb 15, 2006
I have a Samsung Smart TV with YouTube and Netflex apps but maybe it's not smart enough as the YouTube app only shows selected videos. Maybe the next model up from mine that came with WiFi would have had YouTube internet access but I don't know.

Very good point why the existing smart TVs are still not as popular as the smartphones do. The smart function in TV is still a stripped down version. Probably we need to await Apple iTV. It will be a disruptive TV to the traditional TVs. Think about what is the smartphone now?? It is a small computer in a mobile phone form factor. You can have your desired features thru apps. Why we cannot use the same concept for TVs!!

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Very good point why the existing smart TVs are still not as popular as the smartphones do. The smart function in TV is still a stripped down version. Probably we need to await Apple iTV. It will be a disruptive TV to the traditional TVs. Think about what is the smartphone now?? It is a small computer in a mobile phone form factor. You can have your desired features thru apps. Why we cannot use the same concept for TVs!!

SmartTVs are only as smart as the apps they use! LOL The issue isn't the TV the Issue is the folks writing the apps are not doing such a good job.

I read that there may be some TVs that come with Chromecast support built in soon enough.
That will solve all the problems with wasting power.

Should be noted that plugging the CCast into a USB on the TV will prevent the CCast from being able to turn the TV on.

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012

You sound like someone who should get a Kill a Watt meter just for the fun of it. I found out that my Logitech PC speakers with Subwoofer use 5 watts even when turned off; a 100 watt receiver uses 5 watts when off; a VCR player uses 8 watts when off. Non of these devices have a clock or light when off, just an OFF button. Now that's a waste!

Chromecast uses about 2 watts of power. Roku and similar set top boxes use about 4 - 5 watts. None of these have power switches. They're design to be on always. If they were sucking 20 watts all the time that would be a different story.

I have a Vizio TV that turns USB power off automatically when TV power is off. But I've other TV sets that keep the USB power on even when TV is off.

travisjustin

Jan 27, 2013
For the latest TVs, all will go for smart TVs and Chromecast has no market at all in the future. YouTube and Netflex apps are the must for the latest smart TVs. It is an interim product to fill the gap.

Disagree. I have a 1st gen Sony gtv, I'm using a chromecast on it now because it's already so out of date (after only 3 years) the apps lag to near unusability. I don't want to spend near 1k every two years to upgrade a perfectly good TV cause it needs more ram or a better processor. Built in smart TVs are NOT a reasonable future. Boxes or dongles that can be upgraded for 100 bucks or 35 like chromecast, that's where it's at.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

But I've other TV sets that keep the USB power on even when TV is off.

That's how mine works. Most all the electronics in my house don't actually turn "off" they just enter a low power stand by mode.

If the few watts of power bother you, hook your equipment up to a power strip and turn that off when not in use. That way it can't pull any power at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
FWIW, at first I had it plugged into my TV's USB port, but 2 things bothered me about that setup, one, what if I turned off the TV during an flash/update, would it brick? and the other, is shortening the lifespan of my TV's power supply, or outright damaging it, Google is not known for their QA, and I'll be damned if I'm letting their crapmanship destroy my Sony, spinning me off into a whole new dimension of pissed off. So I let it run 24/7 through its own power block, if it dies of heat damage, 35 bucks isn't so bad.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Chromecast isn't meant to be completely off any more than your phone is.

If Chromecast was turned off, it wouldn't be able to turn on your TV nor would it be able to receive cast requests. Using the TV's USB to power Chromecast sort of turns it off, but you also risk corrupting an update in progress. Not a huge deal if you're rooted and can force-flash an update, but if you're not rooted, it might put Chromecast in a "confused" state.

TVs with built-in Chromecast will solve this - at the expense of more vampire power (since the TV has to be some degree of "awake" to listen for cast requests).

If you're really concerned about power usage and your TV doesn't have (powered) USB ports, you can use something like a TrickleSaver or a similar energy-saving power strip or UPS to shut off power to Chromecast after the TV is turned off.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Chromecast isn't meant to be completely off any more than your phone is.

If Chromecast was turned off, it wouldn't be able to turn on your TV nor would it be able to receive cast requests. Using the TV's USB to power Chromecast sort of turns it off, but you also risk corrupting an update in progress. Not a huge deal if you're rooted and can force-flash an update, but if you're not rooted, it might put Chromecast in a "confused" state.
Well! I removed my CC from my TV and powered it by the wall-wart looking to get the latest Eureka-ROM. I didn't watch it but caught a red LED which I thought was the reboot but apparently it was the start not finish. I plugged it back into my TV, I had the new home screen but no Team Eureka splash screen. I had to manually flash it. Don't know if it can be messed up beyond repair or not but it seems if your using the USB port, you should turn off the OTA updates to be safe and just watch the forum for any updates.

BTW-Gave my nephew a rooted CC for Xmas and he said it was like having a new TV just like mentioned above! :good:

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
and the other, is shortening the lifespan of my TV's power supply, or outright damaging it,

One of my Chromecast is powered by the USB on a TV that keeps the USB power on even when TV is off. I tested it with a Kill a Watt meter.
The 42" LCD Panel uses about 80 - 90 watts when on. When the TV is completely off and Chromecast is attached to USB power, it uses 2 watts. With the TV completely off and no Chromecast attached, it uses 0 watts.

So it's an extra 2 watts. My nightlights use more than that. :fingers-crossed:

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
One of my Chromecast is powered by the USB on a TV that keeps the USB power on even when TV is off. I tested it with a Kill a Watt meter.
The 42" LCD Panel uses about 80 - 90 watts when on. When the TV is completely off and Chromecast is attached to USB power, it uses 2 watts. With the TV completely off and no Chromecast attached, it uses 0 watts.

So it's an extra 2 watts. My nightlights use more than that. :fingers-crossed:

Yeah, but your nightlights probably go through better QA! :eek:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I would like to eventually see Google allow some configuration options in the Chromecast setup app, and some "turn off display after X minutes of idle" option. That should save a tad bit of power if they can turn off the HDMI output entirely, plus TVs with automatic input switch would then switch back to whatever other input is active. Even if they can't turn off the output, at least it would help prevent burn-in.

Reactions: eKeith

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I hope this makes it to the ChromeCast vampire thread.

I came upon that thread by searching for "chromecast vampire bandwidth" and I was searching on that because I had discovered that unused CCs were sucking quite a bit of my bandwidth, about 1/2 gb/day. That is significant to me because my average allottment from my provider is only about 2 gb/day. That determination made by looking at my Tomato router.

So, maybe y'all are missing the point? The 2 watts of power is not significant but the bandwidth it uses is. At least, to me.
    I would like to eventually see Google allow some configuration options in the Chromecast setup app, and some "turn off display after X minutes of idle" option. That should save a tad bit of power if they can turn off the HDMI output entirely, plus TVs with automatic input switch would then switch back to whatever other input is active. Even if they can't turn off the output, at least it would help prevent burn-in.
    I agree with this.. I'm really surprised there aren't any settings whatsoever. I realize they're trying to keep the cost down & make it easy to operate but c'mon Google gimme some settings to play with!

Not about cost...The only cost involved would be in paying the Developers to write it into the code....

It's kept as minimal as it is to keep up with some of the many minimalist brains that will buy one and if given half the chance would mess it up and stop it from working! LOL

So they pretty much made it idiot proof!

This is meant to be a plug it in and forget about it device.
    Will even switch the input for those who have no clue how to do that like My Parents lets say (obviously not the folks around here!)

To have it go off means you have to turn it on to use it.
    You would be surprised how many people would never use it if they had to do that! LOL
    I hope this makes it to the ChromeCast vampire thread.

I came upon that thread by searching for "chromecast vampire bandwidth" and I was searching on that because I had discovered that unused CCs were sucking quite a bit of my bandwidth, about 1/2 gb/day. That is significant to me because my average allottment from my provider is only about 2 gb/day. That determination made by looking at my Tomato router.

So, maybe y'all are missing the point? The 2 watts of power is not significant but the bandwidth it uses is. At least, to me.

Good point, and while on that subject, many stock firmwares have the ability to block internet access for a specific device at certain times and days, so if you have such a device, that can be used as well.