[REQ] Dialer themed like payphone

Search This thread

jmhecker

Mar 25, 2009
Racine, WI
I am surprised nobody has done this yet...but how about a Dialer that looks like the keypad on a public phone?

This is a screenie from one that was done for the iPhone. If I knew more about the structure of an APK, and how the images were, I would try it myself.

6225d1202317966-retro-dialer-customize-payphone.jpg

mr.incredible

May 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I could do it. I've done lots of phone skins back in my WinMobile days. But I have a great fear that if I did, it would catch on like the incredibly stupid 70's flip clock. Can you imagine anything more ignorant than making a beautiful and versatile digital device look like a completely mechanical and annoying piece of counter technology from the 60's and 70's. The only thing worse would be nixie tubes. Yes, I have seen the nixie tube clock skins. Thank God that did not catch on...

mr.incredible

May 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I actually looked into skinning the phone. It's not as simple as replacing some .png files. It would require quite a bit more work. Sorry dude, not for me.

jairomeo

Mar 22, 2009
www.designrifts.com
Well put. Rest assured there are some of us who do appreciate your work and the work of the many others out there. In fact, it's largely due to many of those ungrateful children that I spend very little of my time on XDA any more. I found Twitter to be a better forum; I don't have to follow the people who have nothing helpful to say.

Thank you, I appreciate everyone's work, regardless of if it's my taste or not. The effort everyone puts in to do their own things, is what has made out little Android grow into what we can do today. Ive also found the same, I'd rather use twitter to find stuff out.

jmhecker

Mar 25, 2009
Racine, WI
Okay, as the OP here, I think it is well within my right to say that this tread has veered WAY off course of its original intention, heh. It was not my intent to have a flame war start, even if it was mildly entertaining for a few minutes :)

Anyways, for the dev's that have been kind enough to contribute to this discussion: I have used 99% of the ROMs available for the G1, and I thank each and every one of you for your hard work. It is greatly appreciated by more people that I am sure you had ever imagined. Keep up the good work.

Now, back on topic. A refresher:

I am surprised nobody has done this yet...but how about a Dialer that looks like the keypad on a public phone?

This is a screenie from one that was done for the iPhone. If I knew more about the structure of an APK, and how the images were, I would try it myself.

6225d1202317966-retro-dialer-customize-payphone.jpg

If you read between the lines, the OP isn't asking a rhetorical question. He actually would like to see it done. As would others. Myself included. But hey, thanks for nothing, genius.

Did you read past the first sentence?

But I have a great fear that if I did, it would catch on like the incredibly stupid 70's flip clock.

But back on topic.

It could probably be done, as said by others, and it is a nice idea worth looking into. It's certainly possible.

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
Cleanup applied to thread.

@new posters:

Please respect the OP and not post in the thread if you have nothing constructive to add ... this request is not unreasonable.

Regards,

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
Hey, given the facepalm from this thread so far I will make the theme for you. Time is precious to me but whatever. I'll post back when I'm done. Yea, you can thank twitter and that fact that teh flamez was had to get me to find this thread. Consider it done I think it would be awesome.

jmhecker

Mar 25, 2009
Racine, WI
Hey, given the facepalm from this thread so far I will make the theme for you. Time is precious to me but whatever. I'll post back when I'm done. Yea, you can thank twitter and that fact that teh flamez was had to get me to find this thread. Consider it done I think it would be awesome.

I KNEW I read one of these posts up on Twitter, but I dug around and couldn't find it.

Either way, I thank you for your time enatefox. No rush, as I know you have a plethora of projects on your plate right now.

croakthedj

Oct 19, 2007
done

what I know this is an old thread but I was just curious if anyone actually made this.. if so someone can please post a link to it send me a a screw up sit on your face or whatever just let me know so that way I know what's going on so that way I can let other people know what's going on sup everybody knew what was going on but then we'd all know and I'll be in the know people to tell people what's going on in the know so if you could just tell me so that way I know. and no I not not drunk