[APP] NotepadWS - Tabbed text editor with online Search feature - updated (2.7)

Search This thread

Foliator

Mar 13, 2009
Slight bug in NotepadWS?

NotepadWS is great! I like it not only for its features, but especially because it's the only .NET CF editor that can open and save my text files in my device's native ANSI encoding without losing the extended characters, such as accents, etc. The other editors either lose them, or save the file in UTF-8, which then comes out wrong in Word.

Nevertheless, I have a problem which isn't easy to describe, so I hope you'll bear with me if my post gets rather long.

Could someone please create a sample file in NotepadWS, save it, then delete a line or two -- or even just a few characters -- from the top and save the file again, making sure to overwrite the original. Finally, please close the file, reopen it and see what the bottom of the file looks like.

When I do this, the file keeps its original length, because it appends as many characters to the bottom as I've deleted from the middle or top. The extra characters are copies of whatever appeared at the bottom originally.

For example, I had a file in which the last line ended with chinook. I deleted four characters from the top, and wound up with chinooknook. LOL

This has been reported to the developer by e-mail, but there's been no response, and I'm now wondering whether this is a bug in NotepadWS, or perhaps just caused by an incompatibility between .NET CF 3.5 and my older WM5 device.

I'm using NotepadWS 2.56 at the moment, but 2.55 does this, as well. As a workaround, I've been saving edited versions of files to a different folder and copying them back later with my file manager, but I'd appreciate knowing whether anyone else is seeing the same behavior.

powinmo

May 5, 2010
Could someone please create a sample file in NotepadWS, save it, then delete a line or two -- or even just a few characters -- from the top and save the file again, making sure to overwrite the original. Finally, please close the file, reopen it and see what the bottom of the file looks like.

I can confirm this behavior with 2.55 and 2.56. Looks it might be some kind of buffer issue when he is writing out the file.

For the Developer, I am running a CDMA Touch Pro2 with an Energy 6.5.3 ROM.

To answer a question by the op, it does not appear to be a CFNet3.5 and older WinMo OS version issue.

powinmo

May 5, 2010
I have a bit of a request: would you consider adding file 'scheme' functionality. Say you are looking a reg file, the 'scheme' would highlight certain predefined key words or phrases making it more readable. The same could then be true for .xml, .mscr or any other file that can be read by notepad. You think that would be doable?

I was thinking of asking the Dev a similar request. Basically allow for some kind of transformation functionality. Likely a XML schema to map keywords to colors, font types (eg, bold or underline), etc. Just like your thoughts, it would make reading files like HTML, CSS, REG, and XML easier.

But given how much the dev has done so far based on user comments, he's been very accommodating, so hopefully something like this would be put in later down the road. Regardless, the app is definitely donation worthy for me once he knocks out a few other minor bugs out.

Foliator

Mar 13, 2009
I can confirm this behavior with 2.55 and 2.56. Looks it might be some kind of buffer issue when he is writing out the file.

For the Developer, I am running a CDMA Touch Pro2 with an Energy 6.5.3 ROM.

To answer a question by the op, it does not appear to be a CFNet3.5 and older WinMo OS version issue.
Thanks for the response. Hopefully the developer can track down the problem.

One thing that came to mind was that it might be an unfortunate byproduct of whatever the app uses for dividing up a large file into several sections and reassembling them when the file is saved. That feature works fine here, and I've been able to edit very large .txt files successfully.

As I mentioned before, it doesn't occur when the edited file is saved to a different folder, or under a new name, for that matter.

FYI: This is a Dell Axim x51v PDA with a VGA display. It has no phone capability, and I'm using the stock WM5 ROM.

xdaid

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2009
just back from holidays... :(

however, i confirm there's a bug overwriting existing files, it will be solved.

about the ability to highlight phrases and edit xml schemas.. i'm taking a look to the possible solutions and i will try some code.. hope to give good news soon

regards

Foliator

Mar 13, 2009
just back from holidays... :(

however, i confirm there's a bug overwriting existing files, it will be solved.
Glad to hear it! Luckily your app is still usable even with the bug, so it can't be very serious.

about the ability to highlight phrases and edit xml schemas.. i'm taking a look to the possible solutions and i will try some code.. hope to give good news soon
Something like this exists in a freeware text editor called cke, which uses so-called syntax files to color various things like HTML tags, etc. The colors can be configured from within the program. However, cke's development came to a dead stop ages ago while still in its alpha phase, and it isn't nearly as stable as NotepadWS.

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
two bugs fixed:

- the issue on overwriting files with shorter ones

- another bug which came with read-only files:

since NotepadWS uses device-specific encoding to read and write characters, it allows to preserve special chars (e.g. chars with accent, like Foliator said), but it also needs to read and write files in a certain way. This caused crashes while opening read-only files. Now it works propely.

Last but not least, now you have the option to force NotepadWS to remove the read-only attribute and then save the file.

Version 2.57 @ first post

Foliator

Mar 13, 2009
Wow, that was fast! Just tried 2.57, and the two bug fixes make this editor nearly perfect.

Now, if only it could ...

Not to worry; I'm only joking. Excellent work! ;)

powinmo

May 5, 2010
two bugs fixed:

Thank you xdaid for keeping the application updated.

No worries on the other request(s) we've been asking for, I would consider those low priority :) I'd prefer stability first and I'm sure many of us here appreciate the fact you are very responsive in addressing those usability issues.

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
two bugs fixed:

since NotepadWS uses device-specific encoding to read and write characters, it allows to preserve special chars (e.g. chars with accent, like Foliator said), but it also needs to read and write files in a certain way. This caused crashes while opening read-only files. Now it works propely.

Last but not least, now you have the option to force NotepadWS to remove the read-only attribute and then save the file.

Any news about a WQVGA version?

jcmm

NotepadWS ver 2.57

NotepadWS is a notepad-like application with TABS feature and some interesting tools such as the WEB SEARCH.

The Web Search (context menu) allows you to get google, wiki or dictionary contents about the word or text selected from NotepadWS,
it could be a good way to perform your search quickly and easily!

FEATURES
- Edit up to four different text files in the same session.
- Switch from one tab to another with just one click.
- Ability to add or remove tool bars at any time.
- Configure each tab separately.
- Online search of selected word or text; google search, wiki search, dictionary.
ver 2.0
- Open and Save dialogs totally redesigned to be more useful and finger-friendly
- Settings page added
ver 2.55
- File association works propely
- Max file size supported increased
- Word-wrap options added
- Copy and paste between different tabs added
- Cmd ExitAll added
- File and Folder Shortcuts feature added
- Start folder option added (if left blank, the folder of last file used is taken)
- Single click option added
- Font and color customization tool added
- Ability to have tabs with different properties (font, colors, start folder, etc)
- Tab character enabled (by pressing tab button you get column alignment)
ver 2.57
- Overwrite related bug fixed
- Read-only related bug fixed

tabs improved
Now NotepadWS allows to configure and save the properties of each tab,
so you can have 4 tabs completely different one from another;
each tab has its own font type, size, style and color, background color,
start folder and other properties you can configure through the settings page.
Instead, if you prefer to configure all the tabs in the same way, you don't need
the repeat the setup more times, just setup one and check "apply to all tabs"
in the settings page.

Requirements
- Windows Mobile 5.0 or later
- Touchscreen device
- VGA or higher resolution screen
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Hope you enjoy!

Message for the generous people:
If you like this app you can eur, or usd, the amount you prefer. Thank you!

Hello,

Great pity that this program does not have the ability to accept copy and paste from any Windows Mobile ... This detracts quite operation.

Regards,

Foliator

Mar 13, 2009
Hello,

Great pity that this program does not have the ability to accept copy and paste from any Windows Mobile ... This detracts quite operation.

Regards,

Quite right, the context menu will only let you do that from tab to tab, and there's no "select all" function, either. I hope the author will resolve these problems.

Meanwhile, Windows Mobile's standard control key commands are a good workaround. NotepadWS recognizes them, and will then use the native clipboard:

Ctrl-C = Copy
Ctrl-X = Cut
Ctrl-V = Paste
Ctrl-A = Select All (usually, but this last one does not work).

If your device has no Ctrl key, you may be out of luck, unless your keyboard has special keys for the above clipboard functions.

jcmm

Quite right, the context menu will only let you do that from tab to tab, and there's no "select all" function, either. I hope the author will resolve these problems.

Meanwhile, Windows Mobile's standard control key commands are a good workaround. NotepadWS recognizes them, and will then use the native clipboard:

Ctrl-C = Copy
Ctrl-X = Cut
Ctrl-V = Paste
Ctrl-A = Select All (usually, but this last one does not work).

If your device has no Ctrl key, you may be out of luck, unless your keyboard has special keys for the above clipboard functions.

Hello,

Thanks for your clarification, but my HTC Touch Pro does not have key "Ctrl" on the virtual keyboard, but if the sliding physical keyboard, but ... does not work, that is, applied the classic keys "Ctrl" + "C" or + "V" and not copy or paste from the clipboard of Windows Mobile.

I think the author of NotepadWS should tweak the program to operate these vital functions necessary for any text editing program.

Regards,

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
Hello

The missing clipboard functions have been added right now (copy from / paste to system clipboard and other applications).

First post updated with the new cab (ver 2.7)

Regards

jcmm

NotepadWS ver 2.7

NotepadWS is a notepad-like application with TABS feature and some interesting tools such as the WEB SEARCH.

The Web Search (context menu) allows you to get google, wiki or dictionary contents about the word or text selected from NotepadWS,
it could be a good way to perform your search quickly and easily!

FEATURES
- Edit up to four different text files in the same session.
- Switch from one tab to another with just one click.
- Ability to add or remove tool bars at any time.
- Configure each tab separately.
- Online search of selected word or text; google search, wiki search, dictionary.
ver 2.0
- Open and Save dialogs totally redesigned to be more useful and finger-friendly
- Settings page added
ver 2.55
- File association works propely
- Max file size supported increased
- Word-wrap options added
- Copy and paste between different tabs added
- Cmd ExitAll added
- File and Folder Shortcuts feature added
- Start folder option added (if left blank, the folder of last file used is taken)
- Single click option added
- Font and color customization tool added
- Ability to have tabs with different properties (font, colors, start folder, etc)
- Tab character enabled (by pressing tab button you get column alignment)
ver 2.57
- Overwrite related bug fixed
- Read-only related bug fixed
ver 2.7
- External clipboard functions added

tabs improved
Now NotepadWS allows to configure and save the properties of each tab,
so you can have 4 tabs completely different one from another;
each tab has its own font type, size, style and color, background color,
start folder and other properties you can configure through the settings page.
Instead, if you prefer to configure all the tabs in the same way, you don't need
the repeat the setup more times, just setup one and check "apply to all tabs"
in the settings page.

Requirements
- Windows Mobile 5.0 or later
- Touchscreen device
- VGA or higher resolution screen
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Hope you enjoy!

Message for the generous people:
If you like this app you can eur, or usd, the amount you prefer. Thank you!

Hello,

With the new option to copy and paste outside the program has been perfect as global editor for our Windows Mobile. :)

Fine work and excellent program. Thanks. :)

Regards,

BereanPK

Mar 29, 2008
Western PA
Hello,

Great app thus far (used the previous version for a bit)

Recently hard-reset my phone (not my choice but nonetheless had to do it) and when I reinstalled (of course have .NET CF 3.5 on first), 2.57 gave me a "IndexOutOfRangeException" error. Uninstalled that version, installed your latest 2.7, still giving me the same error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
BereanPK

Foliator

Mar 13, 2009
Hello,

Great app thus far (used the previous version for a bit)

Recently hard-reset my phone (not my choice but nonetheless had to do it) and when I reinstalled (of course have .NET CF 3.5 on first), 2.57 gave me a "IndexOutOfRangeException" error. Uninstalled that version, installed your latest 2.7, still giving me the same error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
BereanPK
I once had that error when I started NotepadWS after having deliberately removed one of my fonts. I had forgotten that I had been using that font in NotepadWS!

I solved the problem by deleting the settings folder (\My Documents\SC Devs) and restarting the program. NotepadWS always automatically creates the folder and the files with default settings if they don't already exist. From there all you'd have to do is go through the settings again, unless you can put back whatever was missing after the hard reset.

Also, I always keep a backup of \My Documents\SCDevs on a storage card.

dajj

Mar 5, 2008
Halifax
Nice Program...

Does it support UNICODE? because i tried it but I found that it doesn't.

Could you add a Unicode support.