[How To] Upgrade to Rooted .596 Official Rom

Search This thread

Spudwrench68

Dec 11, 2010
Fairly sure that applying the latest OTA Update (4.5.602) uninstalled CWM 4.3.3.0 and Z4Root 1.30 and removed root from my TBH rooted GB 4.5.596 Droid X. :(

Time for me to re-SBF and reapply .596 so be careful!!!

Last edited:

mav3rick478

Dec 26, 2010
if you Google "602 without SBF", you'll come across Tadpole's thread on MDW, no SBF needed and really simple but phone needs to be stock rooted GB.

Reactions: Spudwrench68
Simplest Root I have ever seen

I am lucky to have gotten a replacement droid free with the .602 GB build... the camera button on my old unit stopped working. Just got the new one - and then discovered the SIMPLE new one step root procedure for .602 - which was here:

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3714

(I found the above link from the "Volume issues on rooted 4.5.602")

zarape2

Jan 28, 2007
Hi guys a Noob question, My Droid X is under Froyo 2.2 Rooted on mexican carrier. is it safe to update with this verizon room? my phone is on cdma network too. Thanks in advance

Reactions: JMeade

lakotacrofut

May 10, 2011
Hi guys, I am currently running Libery v0.6 based off of the leaked 0.596 GB build that came out in July.

My baseband is .12p and I want to upgrade to Liberty v3.0 and I am not sure what the best method would be. Should I SBF back to Froyo then OTA update to latest version of GB, root and install Liberty 3.

Is there any way I can avoid the SBF since I already have rooted GB even though it is an old build and the kernel needs updating? I searched the forums but couldn't find anyone in this situation.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys! Thought it was weird that no one has done this yet so here it goes!

**FIRST WARNINGS!!**
    1) I do not take ANY responsibility for anything that happens to your phone, contract, etc, etc.
    2) I do not take create for any material posted here nor do I take credit for the download links! SUPER PROPS to p3droid & Black hat team for those.
    3) Make Sure you know what you are doing BEFORE your root / SBF your phone, as I am not usually on much during the day to answer question (do to my job).
    ** END OF WARNINGS**

So on with the awesomeness that is GINGERBREAD! This How To shows you how to get from basically any rom to Rooted (supposedly deodexed) Official .596 Gingerbread from Motorola & Verizon!

First!! for those of you that upgraded to Leaked Versions of Gingerbread:

1)You need to check both your Gingerbread Version & Radio Versions.
    ---- To find your versions go settings > about phone > System Version/Baseband Version ----

If your Gingerbread Version is ANY of the following: (588/591/595)
    &
    If your Radio (baseband) Version ends with: 12P

Then Follow 2b) OTHERWISE FOLLOW 2a) !!

Second!! If You are on a Rooted Froyo Device go to 2c)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2a) SBFing / Back to 2.2 Froyo:
    If you are here that means you don't have the requirements to just "update" via bootstrapper to get to Gingerbread :( I know that sucks BUT there is a WAY!

A) First thing to do for this is to backup ALL your apps!! That's because all your data will be deleted as you will need to be going back to default froyo.

B) You will need to SBF back to Default 2.2 Froyo now. For those of you who don't know what SBF is: think of it as a Recovery process.

ANYWAY back on topic; If you do NOT KNOW how to SBF, then please follow how to do it Here You'll also have to download the default Froyo sbf file found there too. **Please make sure to read through everything in that post before trying to do it!!

Now After your SBF says it's at 100% (and it reboots your phone) Some Droid's perform differently than others. Here is what I mean; in MY personal case the phone rebooted right up into froyo. However some other people's didn't - it was stuck on the red eye logo screen.

If this happens to you:
    1) Pull out the battery
    2) unplug your usb cord (you can now quit RSD Lite - Don't worry about the warning as it told me the same thing)
    3) put the battery back in
    4) hold the power and home buttons to get into recovery mode on your phone
    5) when the "!" sign shows up click on your search button, and scroll down to "factory reset / cache wipe" click ok then reboot. (this will get you into froyo)

C) Now that you are back to Default Froyo, You'll need to root it again with "Z4Root" which is at the bottom of this post.

I assume since you already rooted before you know how to...

D) After Rooting You'll need to install a copy of Droid 2 Bootstrap which can ALSO be found at the bottom of this post. If you already have Droid X Bootstrapper GET RID OF IT. Because it does NOT work in Gingerbread and for this process, but Droid 2 Bootstrapper does.

After installing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, you'll need to download both of the following files (part 1 & Part 2) and put them on your phone's SD Card:

Part 1:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    mirror 3

Part 2:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Mirror 3

Now that your have both files downloaded I would advise you to rename the files to "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part1" & "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part2" This is because when you finally get into bootstrapper you'll know which part you are getting ready to install!

E) NOW ITS TIME TO GET SOME YUMMY GINGERBREAD!! Please PLEASE read everything before doing anything after this point!!

1) First get into bootstrap recovery
    2) Go to: Install update off SDCard > Pick part1 > Click ok!
    3) DO NOT EXIT RECOVERY!!!! If you do you could brick your Droid!!
    4) After it installs part 1, go back down to Install update off SDCard > Pick Part2 This time > Click OK!!

Now at this point you can do 1 of 2 things:
    1) You can restart your phone (as I did - which started up the first time)
    2) You can go back to the main menu and "Factory reset / Wipe data"
    ** Please note that Option 2 was NOT tested by me, so I can not say if it works or not **

Your phone should have restarted and is now in Android 2.3.3596 :D CONGRATS!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2b) Upgrading Directly to Gingerbread

Congrats!! You are part of the few that are able to directly upgrade through bootstrap to Gingerbread!!

1) FIRST Back up all of your Apps, as this update my delete them.
    2) Grab Droid 2 bootstrap from the bottom of this post and install it since the Droid X Bootstrapper doesnt work with Gingerbread.
    3) Grab the Update below:

Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Mirror 3
    Mirror 4

4) Just install as you normally would a ROM, and restart. This Should get you into Rooted, Deodexed, Official .596 Gingerbread :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2c) Time to go back to default!

Alright so you are rooted on Froyo.. Well it's time to go back to your original backup of Verizon's DEFAULT 2.2 that SHOULD have been your first backup. Now if you are reading this and you don't have an original backup, you'll have to either find one for bootstrap, or go to 2a) and follow those instructions

1) Bootstrap Back to your original "Verizon Default 2.2"

2) You'll need to install a copy of Droid 2 Bootstrap which can be found at the bottom of this post. If you already have Droid X Bootstrapper GET RID OF IT. Because it does NOT work in Gingerbread and for this process, but Droid 2 Bootstrapper does.

After installing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, you'll need to download both of the following files (part 1 & Part 2) and put them on your phone's SD Card:

Part 1:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    mirror 3

Part 2:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Mirror 3

Now that your have both files downloaded I would advise you to rename the files to "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part1" & "2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part2" This is because when you finally get into bootstrapper you'll know which part you are getting ready to install!

E) NOW ITS TIME TO GET SOME YUMMY GINGERBREAD!! Please PLEASE read everything before doing anything after this point!!

1) First get into bootstrap recovery
    2) Go to: Install update off SDCard > Pick part1 > Click ok!
    3) DO NOT EXIT RECOVERY!!!! If you do you could brick your Droid!!
    4) After it installs part 1, go back down to Install update off SDCard > Pick Part2 This time > Click OK!!

Now at this point you can do 1 of 2 things:
    1) You can restart your phone (as I did - which started up the first time)
    2) You can go back to the main menu and "Factory reset / Wipe data"
    ** Please note that Option 2 was NOT tested by me, so I can not say if it works or not **

Your phone should have restarted and is now in Android 2.3.3596 :D CONGRATS!

Hope this helps those in need! I know I needed a tutorial like this, but unfortunately, I had to get bits and chunks off of about 10 different forums... so HAVE FUN!!
    Nevermind, just did the 2 part install without SBF'ing and it worked like a charm. Nothing like jumping in with both feet! :D
    I'd give it a try before SBF'n

Why do we need to SBF to original Froyo if we are running stock rooted Froyo that has never had a ROM installed or anything? I could never find an answer to that, thanks for the instructions, they are a lot clearer than the ones on Droid World.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

I used the 2 file method yesterday to go from CM7 Nightlys back to GB rooted. No issues. I used Droid 2 bootstrapper to flash the 2 files (I know, not recommended by the CM7 guys). I first tried to perform a restore directly back to GB but that failed due to the kernel differences. But then when I flashed the two files, my data from the attempted GB restore was still there so it all worked out in the end.
    Why do we need to SBF to original Froyo if we are running stock rooted Froyo that has never had a ROM installed or anything? I could never find an answer to that, thanks for the instructions, they are a lot clearer than the ones on Droid World.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

THe quick answer is you never needed to. If you follow my directions to 2c) then you see that you need to bootstrap back to default (I assumed that anyone on an already rooted default froyo would just skip this step :p) then install the update...

So just for future peoples:

If you are already on the default STOCK motorola 2.2 system and are rooted, just go straight to updating your bootstrapper, and then to the update.

I've had a few days now with this new stock rom, and I am mainly very impressed! Motorola really did bump up the speed, and now I have a lot less freezes / failing apps. I have noticed that the camera is still just a bit buggy, but other than that very good and stable.

Can't wait to see what kind of roms people build off of this one :D makes me extremely excited just thinking about it... EIther that or the unlocking of the motorola bootloader.
    Thanks! Worked great until I noticed a problem...

I started out with a rooted FroYo Droid X and this is what I did step by step for folks like me.

1. I installed the Droid 2 Bootstrap attached to the original post.
    2. Saved the part 1 and part 2 files in the root of the SD Card (Phone Files).
    3. Started the Bootstrap app.
    4. In the Boostrap app I clicked the Bootstrap Recovery button first and then clicked Success.
    5. I then clicked the Reboot Recovery button and let the phone reboot into recovery.
    6. Now in recovery you have to use the volume up/down buttons to move around on the screen and then use the camera button to select something.
    7. I moved to Install Zip from SD Card and selected it.
    8. I moved to the part 1 file (it's the first one in the list) and selected it.
    9. I moved to the Install Zip from SD Card again and and selected it.
    10. I moved to the part 2 file (it's the second one in the list) and selected it.

After all this you should be back at the main recovery screen again and you should have Reboot System Now as an option. Select it to reboot your phone.

When your phone comes back up you should be good to go. I did notice some of the game icons weren't showing up correctly and so I rebooted the phone again (normally by turning it off and then back on) and then everything showed up fine again.

Like the original poster I didn't wipe my data or cache and everything seems to work fine and I didn't need to reinstall all of my apps or anything.

Again, thanks to the original poster!

[Edit] Had to SBF back to FroYo. After playing with this Gingerbread update for a while I found that my wireless tether apps (Wireless Tether and Barnacle Wireless Tether) were not working and complaining about the phone being in a weird state and also that WiFi Manager was interfering with the wireless tether apps. Since I use my phone as a hotspot a lot I decided to go back to FroYo until this release has baked a bit.