Wifi-only Motorola Xoom getting prepped for another 'project'

Search This thread

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
Yes, they released 3.2 for the Xoom last month from what I heard.

I returned my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the store yesterday and picked up a Xoom. The performance is much better on the Xoom it looks like. I know the screen isn't as good but the performance seems much better.

could be the UI tweaks that samsung put on I guess...? Xoom is pretty stock android which is nice.

umbra6

Dec 7, 2007
Loxahatchee, FL
Could someone please explain to me if this link is for real or a fake? Thanks in advance.

Ummm...that is the exact link that I got from the Motodev email that was sent out. Rest assured that it is indeed real.

Contents of the email:

Motorola Support Forums

Jan 2 (2 days ago)

to Motorola
Hi,
Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are preparing a project for owners of the "Google Experience Device" version of the WiFi-only Motorola Xoom. (This is the U.S. version only.) If you own this particular model, we would like to invite you to participate.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey for this project. Please note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners' Forums to take part. We have recently moved our forums communities to a new site, and YOU MUST RE-REGISTER to be considered a member. Please visit our new site and complete your registration update if you have not done so already. Be sure to fill out the MFN opt-in information on the new site.
This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any public sites.
Thanks -- please understand that project start times are always fluid. We ask for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.
- Matt
Motorola Owners' Forums
Motorola Feedback Network

The part that I bolded is where the link is that takes you to the survey.

mobileweasel

Nov 17, 2010
Pembroke

I returned my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the store yesterday and picked up a Xoom. The performance is much better on the Xoom it looks like. I know the screen isn't as good but the performance seems much better.

I just got my Xoom a couple of weeks ago. After Mrs. Claus let me unpack it, it updated to 3.1 and then 3.2.

Version: 3.2
Kernel Version: 2.6.36.3-00042-g3c1a41e
Build#: H6.6-30

chevdor

Oct 6, 2008
Hello,

I noticed the same. I posted in the galaxy tab qa forum about that.
Could you tell me more about the difference you noticed?
I tested a xoom (not 2) and a galaxy tab and I found the xoom more reactive/fluid.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

nooomoto

Sep 22, 2010
Miami, FL
I just got an email from a guy at motor asking me to check and reenter my serial number and that he "needed the information quickly". That was at 8:53 pm est. I got him the correct info in less than an hour. Hopefully we will see something soon from this as he stressed the urgency.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

nooomoto

Sep 22, 2010
Miami, FL
This is the email:

Hi.

Thanks for signing up for the Motorola Wi-Fi Xoom project. Unfortunately, I learned late today that I need another piece of information from you, and I need it quickly.

Can you please take a moment now to provide your Xoom serial number? Please use this link.

I apologize for this mix-up. Because the update is for a Google Experience Device, we don't have as much control over the timing. Please respond quickly as I don't know myself when this could be pushed.

Regards,

- Matt Motorola Owners' Forums Motorola Feedback Network

Rblacula

Sep 19, 2011
This is the email:

Hi.

Thanks for signing up for the Motorola Wi-Fi Xoom project. Unfortunately, I learned late today that I need another piece of information from you, and I need it quickly.

Can you please take a moment now to provide your Xoom serial number? Please use this link.

I apologize for this mix-up. Because the update is for a Google Experience Device, we don't have as much control over the timing. Please respond quickly as I don't know myself when this could be pushed.

Regards,

- Matt Motorola Owners' Forums Motorola Feedback Network

I got the same email from Matt, too. IDK why serial # wasn't on the original form if they needed it lmfao! I saw it 43 min after he sent it. Hopefully this means we're in! :)
EDIT: Also, notice the bold and red text. A soak test from Google themselves... ICS confirmed?!? Doubt it's bug fixes if it's a soak test from Google!

umbra6

Dec 7, 2007
Loxahatchee, FL
I got the same email from Matt, too. IDK why serial # wasn't on the original form if they needed it lmfao! I saw it 43 min after he sent it. Hopefully this means we're in! :)
EDIT: Also, notice the bold and red text. A soak test from Google themselves... ICS confirmed?!? Doubt it's bug fixes if it's a soak test from Google!

I think its because when they updated the forum software it wiped out your serial number when you registered for the MFN. Check your profile on there. When I checked mine all the info I entered in there months ago was gone.

Freshly_Snipes

Aug 3, 2011
Atlanta
I got the same email...I responded 3 hours later..I think we'll have the update and an email in the morning..But you do know you are violating the confidentiality of the emails that you agreed not to by signing up correct guys?

I mean, I know we're excited..well I am...But we know how they are about confidentiality and i'd hate for them to shut us out or worse, sue us because of us being like kids on a forum telling "OOOH i got the email". Feel me though? I am SURE they're on XDA watching for stuff and waiting to pounce with cease & desist letters lulz

Members of the Motorola Feedback Network must agree to our confidentiality agreement to be included in private projects. This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any public sites. The agreement below basically asks two things:

You will keep the topics and specifics of any feedback projects confidential. Motorola is not required to keep your feedback confidential
Any feedback you provide becomes the property of Motorola.
After reading the agreement below, please choose your preferred option.

Motorola would like to offer you the opportunity to participate in a survey, phone call, product or service testing or other Feedback opportunity. For avoidance of doubt, the Feedback opportunity itself, the actual questions being asked and your feedback are all confidential information of Motorola.

As a participant you may from time to time provide suggestions, comments or other feedback ("Feedback") to Motorola with respect to any confidential information provided originally by Motorola. Both parties agree that all Feedback is and shall be given entirely voluntarily. Feedback, even if designated as confidential by you, will not, absent a separate written agreement, create any confidentiality obligation for Motorola. Motorola shall be free to use, disclose, reproduce, license or otherwise distribute, and exploit any Feedback provided to it by you as Motorola sees fit, entirely without obligation or restriction of any kind on account of intellectual property rights or otherwise.

Last edited:

nooomoto

Sep 22, 2010
Miami, FL
I got the same email...I responded 3 hours later..I think we'll have the update and an email in the morning..But you do know you are violating the confidentiality of the emails that you agreed not to by signing up correct guys?

I mean, I know we're excited..well I am...But we know how they are about confidentiality and i'd hate for them to shut us out or worse, sue us because of us being like kids on a forum telling "OOOH i got the email". Feel me though? I am SURE they're on XDA watching for stuff and waiting to pounce with cease & desist letters lulz

Members of the Motorola Feedback Network must agree to our confidentiality agreement to be included in private projects. This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any public sites. The agreement below basically asks two things:

You will keep the topics and specifics of any feedback projects confidential. Motorola is not required to keep your feedback confidential

Motorola would like to offer you the opportunity to participate in a survey, phone call, product or service testing or other Feedback opportunity. For avoidance of doubt, the Feedback opportunity itself, the actual questions being asked and your feedback are all confidential information of Motorola.

As a participant you may from time to time provide suggestions, comments or other feedback ("Feedback") to Motorola with respect to any confidential information provided originally by Motorola. Both parties agree that all Feedback is and shall be given entirely voluntarily. Feedback, even if designated as confidential by you, will not, absent a separate written agreement, create any confidentiality obligation for Motorola. Motorola shall be free to use, disclose, reproduce, license or otherwise distribute, and exploit any Feedback provided to it by you as Motorola sees fit, entirely without obligation or restriction of any kind on account of intellectual property rights or otherwise.

Well technically I'm not involved in anything as of right now. My xoom is exactly the same as it has always been.

ggrammer

Jan 24, 2010
If this is indeed an ICS test (and my hopes are it is considering they were using an ICS Xoom at that one tech show in France) and they are pushing it to you lucky folks who signed up then I am wondering if you will have to be on a completely stock rom for the update to actually load? I remember the update troubles we had with that 1 minor patch that wouldn't load unless you were pure stock.

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
It's a US company. Idk why that's always an issue. We don't say that everytime you all get the best phones that never get released.

But honestly I think you can attribute that to your affinity American phones lol

Sent from my HTC Sensation

lol I can't argue there really.

It's only in this case I guess because I have the Wifi Xoom, but using the US image because its better :)

Epsis

May 26, 2010
NW England

I wouldn't worry too much about giving too much away, i think they're only mostly worried about their project being leaked in terms of the actual binaries getting out or the press publishing information about unfinished software.

Nothing specific has really been given away (yet ;)) so i wouldn't have thought you'd be at risk of being thrown off of the project mailing list. It doesn't sound as though there's any non-disclosure agreement and in all honesty if they wanted it kept super secret closed beta hush hush we wouldn't even be posting about it here today.

This could even be taken by some as a way to build hype for the upcoming ICS release as OTA update rumours are always floating about and this will only get people thinking and talking about the XOOM tablet. But yeah, just keep us in the loop and if you DO get a cease & desist letter let us know :p

Last edited:

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
I entered for the update. Got the email yesterday asking me to update the info with my WiFi Xoom's serial number. I did so....

Just got another email today basically.....

Given the uncertainty of the timing of the Xoom Wi-Fi only software test you signed up for, I want to recommend that you flash back to stock and re-lock your device as soon as you are able.

With the emails flowing quickly, I suspect the update is being pushed out very soon.

(edit) Though I won't be flashing back to stock and re-locking my bootloader. I can miss the initial pushout for now. I need to be sure the bootloader is unlockable and the device will be rootable after the update ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Could someone please explain to me if this link is for real or a fake? Thanks in advance.

Ummm...that is the exact link that I got from the Motodev email that was sent out. Rest assured that it is indeed real.

Contents of the email:

Motorola Support Forums

Jan 2 (2 days ago)

to Motorola
    Hi,
    Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are preparing a project for owners of the "Google Experience Device" version of the WiFi-only Motorola Xoom. (This is the U.S. version only.) If you own this particular model, we would like to invite you to participate.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey for this project. Please note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners' Forums to take part. We have recently moved our forums communities to a new site, and YOU MUST RE-REGISTER to be considered a member. Please visit our new site and complete your registration update if you have not done so already. Be sure to fill out the MFN opt-in information on the new site.
    This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any public sites.
    Thanks -- please understand that project start times are always fluid. We ask for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.
    - Matt
    Motorola Owners' Forums

The part that I bolded is where the link is that takes you to the survey.
    Hey, just read this on Android Central: an email has gone out to a few members of the Xoom section on the Motorola Owner's Forums talking of a new project.

Hi,

Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are preparing a project
    for owners of the "Google Experience Device" version of the WiFi-only
    Motorola Xoom. (This is the U.S. version only.) If you own this particular
    model, we would like to invite you to participate.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey for this project. Please
    note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners'
    Forums to take part. We have recently moved our forums communities to a new
    site, and YOU MUST RE-REGISTER to be considered a member. Please visit our
    new site and complete your registration update if you have not done so
    already. Be sure to fill out the MFN opt-in information on the new site.
    This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback
    Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any
    public sites.

Thanks -- please understand that project start times are always fluid. We ask
    for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.

- Matt
    Motorola Owners' Forums

Did anybody get a copy of the email? Does anybody know what's going on?

I first read it here.
    My guess is that if this is indeed ICS, then Motorola will release the much needed drivers for the camera and other things and the devs working on the ICS roms can just incorporate those into their builds and there will be no need for going back to stock.
    Plus, be careful that future updates don't somehow lock down the bootloader. Some may not care, but I won't ever willingly go back to stock.

first rule of Xoom project club is you arent allowed to talk about the xoom project...