[Dev] Call for test, ril wrapper for pppd, 18/11/2010: test kernel 2K and wrapper 0.7

Search This thread

vysus

Apr 26, 2007
I read "To install, just rename your previous wrapper and copy the attached libhtc_ril_wrapper.so to the same location", question is how to rename the already present file?

letama

Feb 13, 2008
I read "To install, just rename your previous wrapper and copy the attached libhtc_ril_wrapper.so to the same location", question is how to rename the already present file?

It depends on how you do it, if you use a file explorer, you're on you own, there's too many to tell. From terminal or adb just type:

mv /system/lib/libhtc_ril_wrapper.so /system/lib/libhtc_ril_wrapper.so.backup

LeTama

vysus

Apr 26, 2007
And what if I simply replace the existing one with the file you provided?

vysus

Apr 26, 2007
Yep, you're right my friend :)
But I'm so used to change build everyday looking for the one I love that it's not that a big problem for me, eh eh eh...
*EDIT* Famous last words, as one of Supertramp's best known creation: connection doesn't start anymore..

Last edited:

banesi

Dec 27, 2006
Here are my logs, just after data disconnected a couple of times, seems like I'm getting more of this disconnects after upgrading to latest hastarin v8.1 kernel, I'm using darkstone HD2Froyo V3 build.

Attachments

• pppd.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 6

cwsmall

Sep 5, 2008
jacksonville,fl
No matter what build winmo or droid or radio combo i try my phone freezes. especially during calls. It usually works during the call for about 8 minutes that appears to be the common time that it happens time after time. I've been using the .3 wrapper since it posted. It also, freezes when syncing sometimes as well. i have turned off auto sync and i do it manually. I don't know how to pull the logs needed. Trying to teach myself but its going slow. If anyone could lead me in the right direction i would be very thankful. I would really like to be more useful around hear, cause i'm addicted to this stuff since i got my hd2 the day it came out. thanks again.

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Here are my logs, just after data disconnected a couple of times, seems like I'm getting more of this disconnects after upgrading to latest hastarin v8.1 kernel, I'm using darkstone HD2Froyo V3 build.

Thanks for the logs. If I interpret them correctly, the wrapper behaved well and disconnections are coming from gsm network and/or radio. I need to improve and clean my logs to be 100% sure though, it's a bit tough to read.

If I'm not mistaken, I can't do anything about that .

Did you do a data off/on during the logs ?

LeTama

jae-v

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks for the logs. If I interpret them correctly, the wrapper behaved well and disconnections are coming from gsm network and/or radio. I need to improve and clean my logs to be 100% sure though, it's a bit tough to read.

If I'm not mistaken, I can't do anything about that .

Did you do a data off/on during the logs ?

LeTama

hey LeTama thanks for all your hard work first of all, you've made PPP finally an option as a daily driver for me. I'm noticing now most of the kernel updates include a "ppp patch" should we still use your supplied wrapper along with the new kernel or simply delete the .ko?

Meteo

Jul 25, 2006
seems more stable after testing a few days. sometimes call drops and it fixes itself, even fixes it self from freezing sometimes. But today it froze and I had to restart the phone to get data working again.

Attachments

• alogcat.2010-11-09-00-15-06-0500.txt
    56.2 KB · Views: 9

letama

Feb 13, 2008
hey LeTama thanks for all your hard work first of all, you've made PPP finally an option as a daily driver for me. I'm noticing now most of the kernel updates include a "ppp patch" should we still use your supplied wrapper along with the new kernel or simply delete the .ko?

Hi jae-v,

You still need the wrapper with the new kernel. It just let you switch ppp and rmnet, that's all.

LeTama

letama

Feb 13, 2008
seems more stable after testing a few days. sometimes call drops and it fixes itself, even fixes it self from freezing sometimes. But today it froze and I had to restart the phone to get data working again.

Hi Meteo,

I don't see anything regarding wrapper on your log, just the radio switch off/on at the end . It seems that pppd didn't die which shouldn't happen if your connection was down.

Without pppd logs I can't say much more.

LeTama

ATomCZ

Mar 20, 2008
Prague
I have Hastarin 8.1 kernel and libhtc_ril_wrapper_v0.3 and smd_tty start to drain my CPU almost every day (it use 70% of CPU continuously). I must complete reboot my phone. It is related to changes in kernel or in RIL wrapper?

banesi

Dec 27, 2006
...Did you do a data off/on during the logs ?

No, I intentionally let it recover by wrapper itself, hopefully providing you better info of what's going on there.

Thanks for your continuing work on this!

btw, what is the default way of connection in native android phones, eg. Desire, ppp or rmnet?

letama

Feb 13, 2008
No, I intentionally let it recover by wrapper itself, hopefully providing you better info of what's going on there.

Thanks for your continuing work on this!

btw, what is the default way of connection in native android phones, eg. Desire, ppp or rmnet?

Ok, it make sense. My wrapper won't avoid disconnection, it happens, and it happens with winmo too. Its goal is to recover from these disconnections.

Native android phones are using rmnet as far as I know, explaining why we have to "hack" a bit to make ppp work as it's not completely handled by android.

Unfortunately, windows mobile is using ppp and that's probably rmnet in our radio is buggy.

LeTama

letama

Feb 13, 2008
I have Hastarin 8.1 kernel and libhtc_ril_wrapper_v0.3 and smd_tty start to drain my CPU almost every day (it use 70% of CPU continuously). I must complete reboot my phone. It is related to changes in kernel or in RIL wrapper?

Huh, I'm not seeing this with my build. You mean that with top, you see permanent 70% cpu usage ? This is definitely wrong. I'd be interested in your dmesg.

But yes, this is probably kernel related.

ATomCZ

Mar 20, 2008
Prague
Yes. In top I see smd_tty which use too much CPU. This happen when I use Internet intensive, today because of I was testing Opera Mobile. I can run 'dmesg' via ADB when it happen again and will send its output here.

Last edited:

Meteo

Jul 25, 2006
Hi Meteo,

I don't see anything regarding wrapper on your log, just the radio switch off/on at the end . It seems that pppd didn't die which shouldn't happen if your connection was down.

Without pppd logs I can't say much more.

LeTama

can alogcat be used to collect pppd logs?

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Data fails to return after a phone call.

LeTama,

I've been having a problem where after I make a phone call data fails to return to the phone....toggling both data mode AND airplane mode on/off did not help to recover....the wrapper appears to keep recovering and getting some error....I took logs right before I shut android completely down and rebooted the phone. Please let me know if you see anything useful. I can recreate just by making a long phone call (note...short calls seem to work ok as I guess the ppp connection does not time out).

Attachments

• pppd.zip
    35.9 KB · Views: 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear All,

I modified libhtc_ril_wrapper to possibly fix the pppd disconnection problem.

As I don't have 3G at home, I'd appreciate some feedback to help me diagnose potential issues with it.

WARNING, there are reports of crash at boot, do a backup of your whole android directory before trying this!

Don't run this if don't have adb and know how to use it.

See post #2 for history and more information

To keep the thread clean, please only report problems and try to avoid unnecessary talking about it.

Don't report problem without logs, it won't help.

This is highly experimental, don't use it if you don't know what you're doing.

To install, just rename your previous wrapper and copy the attached libhtc_ril_wrapper.so to the same location.

Here are the logs I need:
    Code:
    logcat -d -v time -b radio > /sdcard/pppd_radiolog.txt
    logcat -d -v time -s pppd:v > /sdcard/pppd_mainlog.txt
    dmesg > /sdcard/pppd_dmesg.txt
    /bin/ifconfig > /sdcard/pppd_if.txt
    ps > /sdcard/pppd_ps.txt

Please review pppd_radiolog.txt before posting, it could show some personal stuff like phone numbers, feel free to remove these lines or refrain to post them

Wait 20 seconds to let the wrapper relaunch pppd and check connection again. If it doesn't work, please send the logs.

Grab the three files from sdcard root and post them back here.

I'm also experimenting some kernel tuning that can be activated with this:
    Code:
    echo 8 8 > /proc/sys/vm/lowmem_reserve_ratio
    echo 8192 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes

Nothing conclusive yet, but it seems to help.

Thanks to Hastarin, I also attached his root package that includes wrapper with ppp options and tweaks.

Thanks,

LeTama
    Sorry, I know this is an advanced thread, but I would really appreciate if you could tell me (and others) how to make those changes so I can also have a stable data connection. Are you using ADB? What do you type and where?

- Take the kernel_memory.sh file inside the attached archive, and copy to gscript directory of your sdcard. You may need to create the directory first.

- Start Android and install gscript app from the Market.

- Start gscript app, click Menu button and select Add Script. Pick kernel_memory.sh.

- Select the script to run it. That's it.

Each time you start Android, run gscript app and run the script as soon as possible before you do anything else.
    Solved?

No activity on this thread in a week!

Perhaps this is finally as good as it's going to get?

Can I presume things are stable for everyone using the latest kernels and the various wrappers/scripts?

I think mdeejay used LeTama's patch in his kernel, and I've used a simpler version (break if we see two failures) since my r8.5.3.

Code:
    diff --git a/arch/arm/mach-msm/smd_tty.c b/arch/arm/mach-msm/smd_tty.c
    index 1d1802a..f994dd9 100644
    --- a/arch/arm/mach-msm/smd_tty.c
    +++ b/arch/arm/mach-msm/smd_tty.c
    @@ -47,6 +47,7 @@ static void smd_tty_work_func(struct work_struct *work)
     {
     	unsigned char *ptr;
     	int avail;
    +	int failcnt = 0;

struct smd_tty_info *info = container_of(work,
     						struct smd_tty_info,
    @@ -89,8 +90,13 @@ static void smd_tty_work_func(struct work_struct *work)
     			wake_lock_timeout(&info->wake_lock, HZ / 2);
     			tty->low_latency = 1;
     			tty_flip_buffer_push(tty);
    -		} else
    +		} else {
    +			failcnt++;
     			printk(KERN_ERR "smd_tty_work_func: tty_prepare_flip_string fail\n");
    +			if(failcnt > 2) {
    +				break;
    +			}
    +		}
     	}

mutex_unlock(&smd_tty_lock);
    The patch I posted here has been in my kernel 8.5.3 and those since. Feedback has been minimal but positive.

Noellenchris has been using it and hasn't crashed it that I've heard and I haven't either.

At least combined with the wrapper, pppd options, and kernel memory tweaks it seems quite stable and fast.

Sent from my HTC HD2

OK. Then I'll push your patch with a comment about the 8K limit that could be added if it's not enough.

Thanks,

LeTama