[KERNEL][CM7/9] Custom Gingerbread kernel [2.6.32-61][v1.0 RC2]

Search This thread

thehumble1

May 30, 2008
NMI
Google Nexus 4
Re: [KERNEL][CM7/9] Custom Gingerbread kernel (Faux kernel revived!) [2.6.32-60][V.01

Not fully trusting that it flashed since it says 2.6.32.60-cyanogenmod in about> kernel but I did get cpu speed to customize so that must just be the name for it.

I usually use SetCPU for governors, but don't see any showing up but as long as we are on smartass2 I'm happy.

Ps. I'm on cm7 nightly from 01-01-2013

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Last edited:

TheCoutures

Feb 19, 2011
Maiden, NC
Re: [KERNEL][CM7/9] Custom Gingerbread kernel (Faux kernel revived!) [2.6.32-60][V.01

I never had luck with Faux's kernels, always overheating on charge unless I leave the phone to never sleep while charging and random BSOD.

I guess I'll just stick with morphics.

Thank you for bringing some life back to this phone.

Sent from my LG-P999

mk2rimar

Feb 2, 2011
montreal quebec canada

You are using the beta-test version right ? This should be fixed now

This kernel should be compatible with any GB ROMs as well as the hackfest version of CM9 and CM10.

I reed "any gb rom".....lol not to be mean sorry about that fellow naber

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

kwattro76

Aug 3, 2007
Omaha
I will try this on the latest SINGH UI (miui) and report back.... I'm currently using a harsh based kernel at 1375mhz and its great for gaming and no lag what so ever

sambodie

Apr 24, 2011
Mazout Kernel on Stock 2.3.4

Flashed onto Stock 2.3.4 and seems to be working so far. Tested BT on music, worked. Tried call audio, did not work but BT could not be selected on the dialer. Powered off/on my BT headset and call audio works.

Question - since I have no clock speed control on stock, what is this kernel running at for max CPU speed?

Anyone tried this on CM7-based ROM using March 2012 BB? Does BT call audio work?

EDIT - after I had call audio working, turned off my BT headset. The phone still showed BT turned on and connected to the headset. I turned BT off in settings/wireless. Will see how this behaves ongoing.

Last edited:

Mazout360

Feb 17, 2012
Montreal
I reed "any gb rom".....lol not to be mean sorry about that fellow naber

It "should" run on any android 2.3.7, but it was only tested on MIUI and CM, so no clear confirmation yet.

Flashed onto Stock 2.3.4 and seems to be working so far. Tested BT on music, worked. Tried call audio, did not work but BT could not be selected on the dialer. Powered off/on my BT headset and call audio works.

Question - since I have no clock speed control on stock, what is this kernel running at for max CPU speed?

Anyone tried this on CM7-based ROM using March 2012 BB? Does BT call audio work?

EDIT - after I had call audio working, turned off my BT headset. The phone still showed BT turned on and connected to the headset. I turned BT off in settings/wireless. Will see how this behaves ongoing.

It's set to 1,4GHz by default.
I had a report that BT audio still doesn't work on march 2012 BB. Working on it...

I never had luck with Faux's kernels, always overheating on charge unless I leave the phone to never sleep while charging and random BSOD.

I guess I'll just stick with morphics.

Thank you for bringing some life back to this phone.

Sent from my LG-P999

I made some changes concerning CPU management, so this overheat issue might be fixed. Give it a try :p I didn't have any BSODs yet and it does go to sleep.

TheCoutures

Feb 19, 2011
Maiden, NC

I made some changes concerning CPU management, so this overheat issue might be fixed. Give it a try :p I didn't have any BSODs yet and it does go to sleep.

Trying it out on latest CM7 nightly dated 01-01-13, so far so good on charge.

The real test will see if it overheats when I go to sleep here in a bit.

Again thanks for this.

Sent from my LG-P999

cainG2x

Feb 16, 2012
vancouver WA

Sweet, gonna try this as soon as I get home.. Big thanks to you!!!

Sent from my hellpowered G2X

n30wav3

Dec 24, 2010
London

It "should" run on any android 2.3.7, but it was only tested on MIUI and CM, so no clear confirmation yet.

It's set to 1,4GHz by default.
I had a report that BT audio still doesn't work on march 2012 BB. Working on it...

Flashed... working... hv job tomorrow so m not risking turning off keep awake while charging switch otherwise I might miss the alarm.... just one thing mazout... does it have the smartass governor functioning by default as I dun see any controls in my cyanogenmod CPU settings to change the governor for now and I dun wanna install set CPU..... please let me know ... thanks

Reactions: grantusmantus

grantusmantus

Oct 25, 2012
Osceola

Flashed... working... hv job tomorrow so m not risking turning off keep awake while charging switch otherwise I might miss the alarm.... just one thing mazout... does it have the smartass governor functioning by default as I dun see any controls in my cyanogenmod CPU settings to change the governor for now and I dun wanna install set CPU..... please let me know ... thanks

I believe the OP stated the smartass gov. is set to default. I didnt touch my gov. But i maxed out the overclock lol. Running really smooth!

Sent from my Mazed out Hellbird.

AndroidKills

Sep 27, 2010
NYC
www.anoodlebar.tumblr.com
Stoked going to try this out, with cm7.2 Miui!
Will give feedback in a few.

After playing around -
Smooth and everything seems to work fine, though my lockscreen was very laggy the first few minutes after boot (but i assume that's gonna happen after flashing a new kernel).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dharris76

bluenote73

Jan 12, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

You say I can finally turn off my button lights and not have the screen lag all to hell? That would be a treat.

Morphic works some serious I/o magic with his startup scripts, integrating that to this would be a great allrounder, what do you think mazout?

TheCoutures

Feb 19, 2011
Maiden, NC

Trying it out on latest CM7 nightly dated 01-01-13, so far so good on charge.

The real test will see if it overheats when I go to sleep here in a bit.

Again thanks for this.

Sent from my LG-P999

Kept phone asleep while charging last night and woke up to a phone that didn't overheat, so far so good.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-P999

n30wav3

Dec 24, 2010
London

Kept phone asleep while charging last night and woke up to a phone that didn't overheat, so far so good.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-P999

It didn't overheat that's for sure. But something is wrong. I did the same thing as u did and right now its showing just 14mb ram free and 120mb used with phone slowing down.... only the stock launcher is the cached process.... where is the rest of ram? Mazout take a look plz ... otherwise its quite stable

EDIT : slowdowns are mainly observed when you open a new app and the time it takes to display the app from blackscreen. And also when using stock keyboard quickly.. by the way m on stock gb launcher....on hfp 2.4.x ... keyboard is really pissing me off while typing this :D

qahygymu.jpg

8ybyvy4u.jpg

Last edited:

TheCoutures

Feb 19, 2011
Maiden, NC

No idea I still have 404 mb ram available as it seems some of mortified morphics changes stuck from his elp kernel

Sent from my LG-P999

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359639228668.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359639228668.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 331

n30wav3

Dec 24, 2010
London

No idea I still have 404 mb ram available as it seems some of mortified morphics changes stuck from his elp kernel

Sent from my LG-P999

Are u sure 404mb?. I have only seen 404mb in ICS and JB. Never on GB. It only limits to 372mb something on GB. Well atleast u r getting more than me

TheCoutures

Feb 19, 2011
Maiden, NC

Are u sure 404mb?. I have only seen 404mb in ICS and JB. Never on GB. It only limits to 372mb something on GB. Well atleast u r getting more than me

Yes unless I am getting inaccurate readings from Go however it would always go back to 373 if I flashed a Faux kernel.

Sent from my LG-P999

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359640732583.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359640732583.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 315

TheCoutures

Feb 19, 2011
Maiden, NC

Not sure what is going on but even if set CPU to MAX out it still doesn't go over 1000MHz

Sent from my LG-P999

n30wav3

Dec 24, 2010
London
Not sure what is going on but even if set CPU to MAX out it still doesn't go over 1000MHz

Sent from my LG-P999

1000MHz is not even the frequency step on this kernel. It should be 1015 MHz. Must be the app or the kernel is not flashed properly. Have you tried removing set CPU and controlling the frequency through Cyanogenmod CPU settings? Be sure to check the Set on Boot

EDIT: by the way are you guys wiping the dalvik-cache before upgrading the kernel?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom kernel for the P999, Gingerbread version
    --- Smooth, Fast, Efficient ---
    I've been requested to make this kernel because development for gingerbread (and ICS/JB hackfest) is dead for this device. You asked for a fast and responsive kernel, here it is. 'nuff said.
    Original work by Faux123​
    ***​
    Like always, I am not responsible for any damage to your device related to the use of this kernel!​
    Instructions
    1) Flash any compatible ROM (CM7 or hackfest)
    2) Send the kernel's flashable zip to your SDCard and install it via clockworkmod recovery
    3) Reboot
    Afterwards...
    - First boot might be slower, this is normal
    - Adjust the overclocking in Settings->CyanogenMod Settings->Performance->CPU Settings. A Max CPU Frequency of 1015mHz is recommended if overclocking is not required. Remember to tick "Set on Boot"
    Download links
    *CM7-Based ROMs, Stock voltage*
    DOWNLOAD HERE!

*CM7-Based ROMs, Stock voltage, CPU overclockable + Peripherals boost + RAM OC*
    DOWNLOAD HERE!

--

*Hackfest (CM9/10)-Based ROMs, Stock voltage*
    DOWNLOAD HERE!

*Hackfest (CM9/10)-Based ROMs, Stock voltage, CPU overclockable + Peripherals boost + RAM OC*
    DOWNLOAD HERE!

Instabilities ? Try non-OC builds before reporting!

Thanks
    Of course, thanks to Faux123 for the original work on this kernel
    To see the original thread, click HERE!
    Also, thanks to every beta testers!

Please post any questions or suggestions in the user thread HERE
    My Github
    As promised, here's something to play with.
    This is the second and last experimental build before the stable release (well I hope so). There's no "new userspace features", but it's a massive update nonetheless. There are a lot of updates concerning : RCU, librairies, processor, block, MD, wifi driver, mmc, scsi, power management, memory management and, of course, suspend/wake up functions. I never had a SOD and every reboot to system or recovery worked perfectly. Overnight battery use takes about 3-4% with WIFI enabled, so the suspend code seems to be working well.
    Every build is for CM7 only. I will maintain the hackfest version when I'll be sure everything works properly.

CM7 - STOCK VOLTAGE : HERE
    CM7 - STOCK VOLTAGE - No WIFI deepsleep : HERE

CM7 - OVERCLOCKABLE : HERE

Warning - This is an experimental build. New updates are now being tested for compatibility and efficiency, and there should not be any stability issues. Though, as always, I am not responsible for any damage related to the use of these kernel builds. Also, be aware that I do not test OC or NoDS versions by myself.

I will release the full changelog with the stable release, as I'm still working on new features to add.
    I'm done with my next experimental release, thanks to the logs I received here!...expect it to be hosted here tonight or tomorrow if there's no stability issues.
    First results are promising...I updated-reworked the suspend code, changed the RCU (seemed like it was causing kernel panics as per n30wav's log) and updated the wifi driver (yeah, again) with newer functions such as TX power control (which could help saving battery). I also reworked the whole DM/block drivers to eventually update ROW (and get rid of the veeeeeery long first boot), which is why I want to make sure everything works properly before releasing a "stable" official version.
    Expect the upcoming changelog to be quite big

Thanks to every tester!
    So...there's still one serious kernel problem not being addressed on this device : SODs.
    I am currently trying a new kernel beta which looks promising. I'll work it up a little further so expect a new update in the next days! I am not satisfied enough of battery life yet.
    NoDS users, did you notice an excessive decrease in battery life or should wifi DS be removed ?
    I still have 3 new projects in mind for this device, so even though it is EOLd by CM I will not let this device to die...not yet.

EDIT: Giving out a bonus test build for my 420th post ;). Give me some feedback.
    This is for gingerbread-based ROMs, non-OC. Worked flawlessly for me for the past two days.
    EXPERIMENTAL - Mazkrnl0417GB
    AROMA looks cool but there are no G2X roms that support so if that is is the case I'll probably continue using ELP Max as Harsh soft bricked my phone and Faux's never played well.

Again thanks for all the work you are putting into this device even this late in the game.

That supports what ? AROMA is simply a flashable zip touch installer.
    I should consider removing (Faux kernel revived!) from my thread title. With the amount of changes and commits coming in the next release, this is not faux's kernel anymore. I'm not even using the original options/tweaks/settings anymore and it's been updated (except fakeshmoo for overclocking. If that doesn't work well for you, use the original non-OC version. IMO it's fast enough anyways) .

I used Faux's sources mostly because CM sources are very outdated.

Also, I know I'm somewhat late and now this device is on it's downfall...yet this project requires so much time I couldn't start this earlier, and I regret it somewhat. The P999 doesn't have the popularity it had a year ago..Oh well... I will probably continue developing for my upcoming devices, but for now I'm stuck for another year with this phone, so I'm not done here yet!