Convince me! Benefits of Custom ROMs vs Disadvantage of losing OTA

Search This thread

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA
Hi all

Actually the subject speaks it self but,
As you probably know, after you install a custom ROM, you'll lose OTA eligibility which includes flash support for browser, bug fixes and much more.

Still, I know you'll keep on installing custom ROMs... So Convince me to install a custom ROM...

Because you can.

I'm always messing with thing, modding them, changing them and just generally changing whatever I can, and when asked why, my answer is always the same, "Because I can." I don't need anymore reason than that.

bigmout

Oct 8, 2007
What do you mean "lose flash support for the browser"?

I use Cyanogen because it gives my phone valuable functionality that Google builds don't allow.

Ultimately, there are bugs whether you use custom ROMs or Google's version of Android. The difference is that ROM makers and your fellow users are much, much, much more responsive and helpful than Google. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to smash my keyboard at the unhelpful non-answers offered by Google drones on their forums.

albundy2010

Sep 24, 2010
You don't loose the ota updates anyway. If one comes out that you want to try you just flash the stock rom back or restore your backup of stock.

Any point against unlocking/rooting/custom roms on the n1 or any dev phone are rubbish.

There are no disadvantages period.

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
The only real disadvantage is the.. warranty? LoL

Plus any code that's released by google is quickly snatched up by one of our many awesome XDA members and released as an "ota" rom (usually deodexed, etc.) Or baked into a delicious custom :)

Hopefully I'm just rehashing lol

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

albundy2010

Sep 24, 2010
Warrenty claim is rubbish. HTC has repaired phones with unlocked bootloaders and even with custom roms on the phone.

xzr3b0rnzx

Sep 13, 2008
There will most likely be no more ota for nexus one.. So just root in and get cm7 on it. Faster, better more extra goodies

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

Lt.Fury

Apr 23, 2010
You can always download the ota manually
Does not void warantee if you dont unlock the bootloader
if warantee is expired might as well flash a rom
better battery life
more features
more space
faster

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Theres a whole search engine out there.

You serious? You necro'd a year and a half old thread to ask this?

If you go to any custom rom thread in this forum, you will be given access to a list of features.

Or you could google the rom in question, an example might be "Cyanogenmod features"

This was the second result:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Features

You say you have leedroid, which makes me suspect that A: you don't have a Nexus One, and B: You should have read the first post of the thread, where the features of the custom rom are included
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=842802

Rooting gives you all the features of the custom rom you choose to install. Every rom has it's own set of features, which may explain why there is no single 'answer' you are looking for.

Rooting without installing a custom rom limits you to extra features like Nandroid back ups, and things like setCPU.
    There are 2 reasons to root your phone as I see it

1. To access hardware you otherwise couldn't
    2. To extend the life of your device by installing the latest/greatest custom ROM

For example, a stock N1 without root access can not utilize trackball wake, so if that is important to you, gain root access to the phone.

Also, the N1 is getting a little long in the tooth by smartphone standards and Google will presumably stop pushing updates one day. So if Android v5.0 is important to you, you will need root access to install CyanogenMod 9, which might help you squeeze more functionality from the phone.

The rest is software stuff. Notification power widgets, overclocking, toggle GPS via software are all dependent on root. But these things are just "niceties" and aren't necessarily limiting your hardware, IMO.