Need to Send Note 3 In For Warranty; Rooted

Search This thread
Aug 17, 2011
I dropped my phone today and now the volume up button is completely busted, it's stuck in the up position. I need to send it in for warranty work from Samsung but I can't even get it into Download Mode to unroot it, and even if I could, I couldn't hit the rocker up key to continue. How can I get it unrooted so I can send it to Samsung? I'm on Verizon.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
I dropped my phone today and now the volume up button is completely busted, it's stuck in the up position. I need to send it in for warranty work from Samsung but I can't even get it into Download Mode to unroot it, and even if I could, I couldn't hit the rocker up key to continue. How can I get it unrooted so I can send it to Samsung? I'm on Verizon.

Just bring it into Verizon (btw wrong forum also :p ) - Carriers tend to deal with their own repairs/replacements in house, especially US carriers :good:

semantsen

Jul 22, 2012
Please read this information here regarding Samsung Mobile Phone warranty,
http://www.samsung.com/in/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY
It clearly says,
THIS WARRANTY IS NOT APPLICABLE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CASES:

5.Defects caused by improper use, as determined by the Authorised Service Centre / Company personnel.
Off course you will get your phone repaired but not under warranty,
only after paying for it :eek:

Aug 17, 2011
What if I took it to Verizon? Either way rooting my phone is technically voiding the warranty, which is why I am freaking out.

Last edited:

Bern612

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not real smart so I'll just ask....couldn't you do that adb thing to send signal to phone to reboot into download mode. Then Odin back to stock???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2011

Bern612

Aug 27, 2008
Cool ,just remember I don't think you can boot into recovery because of safestrap. I think it will boot into the other recovery but sounds like your half way there

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Verizon won't care if its rooted.. They probably won't even check

Sent from my CM11 Kitkat powered N9005

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
If I can get it to boot into Download Mode, that should be all I need.

Just tried it.

adb reboot-bootloader

indeed puts the device into Download Mode (without needing the Vol-Up button).

So all you need now is to go through Windows driver hell to get adb working. Either that or use a Mac (/Linxux)! :p

good luck

emtownsend

Feb 7, 2008
I spoke to VZW, they won't be able to fix it, so they're going to replace the entire device. They're sending me a new device.

I'll work on getting it unrooted when I get home.

If they are already sending you a new device, and all you have to do is return the old device in a pre-paid box, then I wouldn't worry about changing the status of the device. I've done this a few times in phone exchanges back when I had tons of trouble with the Galaxy Nexus. Of course, you could for peace of mind, but I've had experience with sending back a rooted device with no problems. I think they refurb it anyway...

Aug 17, 2011
If they are already sending you a new device, and all you have to do is return the old device in a pre-paid box, then I wouldn't worry about changing the status of the device. I've done this a few times in phone exchanges back when I had tons of trouble with the Galaxy Nexus. Of course, you could for peace of mind, but I've had experience with sending back a rooted device with no problems. I think they refurb it anyway...

OK. That sounds good and would free up some of my time. I'm just curious if anyone else has any experience with it?

But if it doesn't matter then I guess I wouldn't want to spend time on it tonight. I just don't want to get any bills for it or get into a big spat.

G

GuestK00143

OK. That sounds good and would free up some of my time. I'm just curious if anyone else has any experience with it?

But if it doesn't matter then I guess I wouldn't want to spend time on it tonight. I just don't want to get any bills for it or get into a big spat.
I gave them my rooted S3 back in December for a upgrade and had no problem.

Top Liked Posts