Linux Port for HTC Vox

Search This thread

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Hi!

Since last week, I've been working on an usable kernel for the HTC Vox. I guess you've already looked at this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=368014&page=5

More or less, I have a working kernel. I've tested some images against the modified kernel, and both Gpe and Opie get to the welcome screen (without getting stucked). Nothing is really usable, as they're not even compiled for this specific platform (cannot get to compile opie for arm by myself... yet), but as a base, it's not bad at all.

As I've seen on my previous post, there's people interested on this (3300 views make me believe that), what I would want to know is, are there more developers interested on building a linux port for the Vox? Testers will be needed also, but later, when we get to something useful for testing :)

If you're interested, reply!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2008
Groningen
I'd love to help, but I'm in the middle of moving to a new place and won't have internet most of the time next 2 weeks.

Do you have a Wiki or other place for collaberating? SourceForge perhaps?

I do have a wiki, but upload is no faster than around 80kB/s

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
In case you haven't seen it, you have a new build of the kernel on the other post, along with links and a little manual to start a graphic environment on the vox.

@barth666, @StefanHamminga

I've been thinking about it, and... I don't know what to do :) I mean, I think Sourceforge is the best place to dump it all, and it gives us a wiki too. On the other side, here is the xanadux wiki, and maybe it would be a good idea to let sourceforge host the files, and leave the wiki in here with other HTC phones... what do you think?

Oh! For GPIO dumping, the only thing I've seen working is the linwizard project's Haret_Omap.exe (in case you want to try to guess where the damned keys are :))

PS: Anyone has an HTC Tornado? I'd love to know if the tornado kernel makes the leds and vibrator flash, I can't find where they are!

frauhottelmann

Inactive Recognized Developer
I know from the ml_iPod wiki (I am the admin) that SourceForge is really slow and the Php and Sql versions are old, in case you want to set up something like MediaWiki! You might want to try http://code.google.com/ , it has a built in Wiki and you can host files!
Just a suggestion
Keep up the good work

EDIT: I could even set one up, if you want, but I am not into coding at all!

Last edited:

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Hi! Sorry for the delay, but I'm having lots of work this week and I've been unable to keep on with this...

@Walram: On the following days I'll try to build a kernel for you, wich should put all the lights on and makes the phone vibrate until you take the battery out :) Obviously just for testing, it shouldn't break anything, but I need to know if the originally-made-for-the-tornado vibrator and led drivers actually work on the tornado... Thanks!

@Frauhottelmann
Didn't know that google gave that service too! will look at it this weekend and post back when I have something done with this.. thanks for the feedback!

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
I have a tornado (and vox and wings), so tell me what to test :)

Hi!

Ok, here's what I want you to try. If you haven't downloaded it yet, download the Linux Test Image:
http://rapidshare.com/files/93938763/test.zip.html
Then, download the kernel for the tornado:
http://rapidshare.com/files/96145010/kernel_tornado_driver.tar.gz.html

Dump the contents of the first file to the memory card, and then overwrite the file "zImage", with the one from the second link. Run haret, and hit "Run".

It should, at least, boot. If it doesn't, tell me where it gets frozen (could be that you only se some dots on the screen, whatever appears, just tell me :))

If it boots, don't stop looking at the leds (charge/bluetooth leds mainly), they should, at least, flash -theorically they should stay on all the time-. It also should vibrate, at least for a quarter of second :)

I just need to know what it actually does!
Thanks!

Last edited:

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Hi frauhottelmann,

I'm going to tell you the truth. I think it would be better if it's you who admins a site for this project than if I do, for various reasons:

1. I started all this thing, but I'm no owner of anything, by now I just hacked four things to make this phone boot a kernel, but no more.

2. I've seen your work at the ml_ipod sourceforge page, and think it's usable, clean, and nice, and I think that's exactly what we would need (even if it's a little slow just as you stated in your previous post). I could make the graphics for the web :) (I'm quite decent at photoshop), but I have never built a wiki, or a project anywhere else, and I don't know a sh** about it, so that would be another big thing to learn, and for now, I gotta learn more about the linux kernel, and that itself it's huge.

3. I don't think I can handle work, classes, building patches, kernels and bootstrap images and administrate a site, it feels like too much for me :)

Conclussion? I think it's better to let people do what does better, and I'm quite sure you'll do it better than I, so if you want, it's all yours :)

PS: In any case, we will need a name for the project, any suggestions?

frauhottelmann

What I have heard from the ml_iPod developers is that upload to SF is not a nice process either. I still think Google code is better, although it's not as customizable as SF.net. But we could also set up a page on Googlepages (pages.google.com) and then point to the Google code site with the Wiki and downloads!

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
I can offer my technical know-how (SPL, GPIOs, etc.)

Since I have little time you should ask me precise questions for which I can try to find the answers.

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Sorry for the delay...

What I have heard from the ml_iPod developers is that upload to SF is not a nice process either. I still think Google code is better, although it's not as customizable as SF.net. But we could also set up a page on Googlepages (pages.google.com) and then point to the Google code site with the Wiki and downloads!

So we can start using google code, and stick with it if it goes well. We can always change the hosting if something goes wrong! About the wiki, the easiest thing is start with google code too, and simply link the xda wiki to it...

prajith

Aug 15, 2007
LinVox !
how does that sound ?
just kidding :)
waiting to get linux running on my vox....

Jan 9, 2008
Groningen
How do you guys feel about splitting the project up in several subprojects?

Like:
  • Kernel and driver work: TI OMAP HTC Vox board patch and perhaps drivers
  • Base system: minimal rootfs and toolkit to utilize all Vox functionality
  • Usability: GUI and (for instance) Android support

This would also enable us to share the base system & usability work with other 'linux on smartphone' and embedded projects.

I do have a suggestion for the base system:
www.emdebian.org

Very up to date build toolchain for arm (GCC 4.x toolchains) and you can have apt support on the base rom. This would allow access to a huge amount of packages that can be used with relatively little effort. Others I've checked out are the new mobile ubuntu (system requirements way to high), MontaVista (severe lack of proper documentation to get up to speed quickly), uClinux (uses ulibc instead of the faster full fledged one, in my opinion we'd better trade some storage for more speed) and some others I can't remember now...

PS. I've got internet at my new place and I've recovered my bricked wizard from the 'spare electronics bin', so finally I can spend some more time on this :)

Last edited: