Stupid Questions Thread- No Question too stupid! I promise!

Do you think this thread is helping with unneeded threads from popping up?

• Yes! less threads asking common or stupid stuff

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. but Like the idea

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • NO! Hate everything about this thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

reluttr

Nov 14, 2008
Google Now is a replacement for S-Voice, so no more S-Voice when you are on JB... Samsung may brand it somehow, but I doubted....

what do you mean fix the email client?

In order to flash a custom rom, you have to have a custom recovery installed.... no bootloader unlocking, it's already unlocked.... there are different methods to flash a custom recovery.... you can flash it with odin, or follow the root no trip / install custom recovery method, etc... just depends on what you're comfortable with...

I was told that the email client included with the S3 was not the default android one and had reliability issues. Most notably with exchange servers.

Also I am glad to hear that about custom roms and google now. :D With the asus infinity you have to unlock the boot loader to install roms, and that voids your warranty.

One more off the wall question. In the leaked tmobile jellybean rom, is there a hardware button to trigger google now? A big thing I like to do with my current phone is to use the voice control to call people while walking. But to do this you must be able to trigger the VC without unlocking the device.

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
I was told that the email client included with the S3 was not the default android one and had reliability issues. Most notably with exchange servers.

Also I am glad to hear that about custom roms and google now. :D With the asus infinity you have to unlock the boot loader to install roms, and that voids your warranty.

One more off the wall question. In the leaked tmobile jellybean rom, is there a hardware button to trigger google now? A big thing I like to do with my current phone is to use the voice control to call people while walking. But to do this you must be able to trigger the VC without unlocking the device.

Looks like you email questions been answered....

There's a leaked TMo JB rom? guess I need to pay more attention, this forum has been driving me to off-topic lately.... but anyways, I would imagine it'll be just like s-voice on a stock sammy ics rom.... hold down the home button to bring it up.... and with custom aosp roms, long pressing menu can be assigned to google now with the launcher, and theres also market apps to remap keys...

launcher google now while the phones locked? there not gonna put that in a stock rom... people would complain....

Kostazu

Jul 22, 2012
I've used this on just about every ICS and JB Rom available for our phone and it hasn't failed yet: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1117452

If it comes back telling you it cant find the Exchange.apk and asks for it's location, enter Exhange2.apk or just hit enter. Both have worked for me.

Yup, that's the fix I was talking about in that other thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

Nice thread btw

Quick nandroid management question: can I just move the dated folder from /data/media/clockworkrecovery/backup to external storage and then back again when I want to do a restore from that backup? I have already learned the value of having a good nandroid for emergencies, but at 1.8 GB a pop, don't want to keep too many around on internal storage.

Side question: is there a way to do 'copy as path' in gui? Using solid explorer atm.

Last edited:

Android412

Jul 28, 2012

Quick nandroid management question: can I just move the dated folder from /data/media/clockworkrecovery/backup to external storage and then back again when I want to do a restore from that backup? I have already learned the value of having a good nandroid for emergencies, but at 1.8 GB a pop, don't want to keep too many around on internal storage.

Side question: is there a way to do 'copy as path' in gui? Using solid explorer atm.

I also wanted to know this. It seems pointless to have multi backups just taking up space, or even to Nandroid on every flash. Just as long as I have at least 1 backup it should do the trick...i would think.

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
I believe you can move folders back and forth but if you decide to rename folders, special characters and spaces might cause it to fail.

Regarding backups.. It's personal preference.

I tend to keep 3 backups or so. Then once every week or so ill backup again and delete the oldest one.

Then before I do anything special like new kernel etc ill flash before that also just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Bubba

Dec 31, 2011
Hell ( I've taken over. Come on down.)
I also wanted to know this. It seems pointless to have multi backups just taking up space, or even to Nandroid on every flash. Just as long as I have at least 1 backup it should do the trick...i would think.

I personally keep the rooted stock Nandroid and a Nandroid of my current rom in case I have a flash failure or bootloop and need to restore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Froid

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
I've personally renamed and moved mine plenty of times without fail using both cwm and twrp. I keep all my backups on external SD and ocassionally have uploaded to google drive or dropbox for safe keeping.

Gubment Cheeze

Reactions: Kostazu and Bubba

reluttr

Nov 14, 2008
Is there a way to get replace S-Voice with Google now? XD

I mean s-voice works nicely and all... but google now is alot more reliable and charming.

Also does anyone know the best way to get music off a mac onto this phone? Like is there something like doubletwist for the s3?

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
Last edited:
Reactions: reluttr

Rocket Nine

Jun 30, 2012
Is there a way to have my phone call the contact I have selected by holding it to my face? I vaguely remember seeing this feature in a video. I'm using CM10 nightlies.

Outlaw747

Aug 16, 2012
Been lurking and lurking looking for answers to a few questions, finally broke down and decided to try posting here.

I'm new to smartphones, this is my first one, but I do have some decent computer skills.

I am running KyanRom 1.28 so it's stock modified running ICS.

First is there a way to replace the stock answer screen? I hate hate hate moving my finger in those circles to accept or decline a call.

Second is there a way to remove the default phone app so I can just use my DailerEx always? It always pops up with missed call notifications from that app. I have a root explorer app but the instructions I saw for removing default apps weren't very clear.

Finally I really want to try a whole bunch of different roms to find out which I like best especially AOSP based ones. However I struggle with getting titanium backup free to backup and restore the apps I use easily. Is there a better alternative? Or is the paid version much easier.

Thanks for anyone who bothers to answer these, I really love all the awesome stuff I can get for my phone on here. Glad I got this and not an Iphone 4S I love to tinker :)

ShadyAce80

Jan 16, 2012
Milaca area, MN
Been lurking and lurking looking for answers to a few questions, finally broke down and decided to try posting here.

I'm new to smartphones, this is my first one, but I do have some decent computer skills.

I am running KyanRom 1.28 so it's stock modified running ICS.

First is there a way to replace the stock answer screen? I hate hate hate moving my finger in those circles to accept or decline a call.

Second is there a way to remove the default phone app so I can just use my DailerEx always? It always pops up with missed call notifications from that app. I have a root explorer app but the instructions I saw for removing default apps weren't very clear.

Finally I really want to try a whole bunch of different roms to find out which I like best especially AOSP based ones. However I struggle with getting titanium backup free to backup and restore the apps I use easily. Is there a better alternative? Or is the paid version much easier.

Thanks for anyone who bothers to answer these, I really love all the awesome stuff I can get for my phone on here. Glad I got this and not an Iphone 4S I love to tinker :)

. TB Pro in my opinion is much better than the free version. Are you selecting the apps one by one or are you using the "batch" operations menu? Also one option I am trying as an alternative for app backup/restores is app2zip.

TheFiveDots

Aug 3, 2012
Is there a way to have my phone call the contact I have selected by holding it to my face? I vaguely remember seeing this feature in a video. I'm using CM10 nightlies.

The stock ROM is supposed to be able to call by doing that from inside a message thread... so being a touchwiz feature, it'll never be in an AOSP rom...

Probably won't happen, but it is interesting to note that someone has actually put this together already for CM9 (but it has not been added). So anything's possible: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/18747/

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
That seems a little over the top. Why? What's wrong with the feature? Like everything, I'm sure you'll be able to disable it if you don't like it, like you can on TouchWiz.

Sorry poor wording.... It's not because of that feature possibly being merged, just I've been using JB ROMs, whatever isn't included or still doesn't work either is something I don't use / care about or something that doesn't bother me... Nothing against CM9, I just won't be using any ICS ROMs... As long as it's toggleable, I don't care if if it makes it into something I use...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or simple question. Please read through the thread and use the search first. I know Google doesn't always like to make it easy to find answers, so lets work together to give answers where we can. And please remember you will be reported for flaming others.

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Thanks goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494423
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing. Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing.

Amazing times we live in with miniature pink robot bunnies keeping our phones running! Wish my eyes were smaller so I could see inside of the battery and say "HI BUNNAY! THANKYOU!" :)

Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats

It floats?! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we strap some ice to our phone and hold on tight we can float up to the cottoncandy clouds and eat all we want! Yum
    Is there a way to mute/remove the freaking annoying chime/bell sound that the dialer makes when connecting the the line when dialing a number ?
    open dialer, hit menu, settings/call alert/call status tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?