Tips & Tricks

Search This thread

guizas

Apr 9, 2008
Hey there can someone please tell me how to disable the sms chat, so i can use the entire screen to reply to a message like in a normal phone.

And how do i only display phone numbers when i press contacts instead of phone numbers and msn email addresses all mixed up??

Thanks

jbngar

Dec 15, 2005
Canberra
xt9 half qwerty tips:

XT9 is actually incredibly intelligent software. It uses complex algorithms based on what keys were near the one you actually typed, and combines them with its dictionaries to guess what you were trying to type. And it does very, very well. Anything that can guess the word 'friend' from the keystrokes 'ddeuabd' or 'thorough' from 'ggoedoujgg' is pretty darn clever.

* first thing to do is tick on the all the xt9 settings except 'next word prediction' which is mildly amusing at first but after a while just plain annoying.

* To stop the default keyboard from always going back to 'ABC' aka multitap, change/create the registry key 'CarrierDefaultTextMode' as outlined here:

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=97265

* Use the 'Alt' key to access numbers and symbols on the top of the keys. Pressing and holding does the same thing. If you want to type all numbers/symbols double press 'Alt' to lock it on, press ONCE again to go back to normal. Double press the shift key to type in ALL CAPS.

The little 'xt9' icon at the top of screen tells you what format you're typing in.

Shift key toggle:
- xt9 = normal
- XT9 = single capital
- XT9 underlined = all caps

Alt key toggle:
- 12# = single number
- 12# underlined = all numbers

* every so often XT9 uses a strange default word. My issues were 'boy' for 'not', and 'st' for 'at'. You can fix this by selecting the word you want three times in a row. This seems to 'teach' it and sets it as the first word it chooses each time.

* the first row of symbols can be quickly accessed by pressing * and the relevant number (e.g. *4 gives an apostrophe, *7 will give you a smiley).

If anyone figures out how to change the symbol map, pls let me know!

berre

Jul 3, 2007
Aalst
For the people who don't like the XT9: you can disable it using the following file: HTC+Touch+Dual-default-ABC.cab

In fact you're not disabling it but just setting the "abc" mode as default...

If you want to undo the change, check this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=406128

Cheers
B

Attachments

• HTC+Touch+Dual-default-ABC.CAB
    20.8 KB · Views: 68

AdzHTC

Jul 13, 2008
Can anyone point me in the right direction to the 'registry' that you talk about as I want to edit the settings but don't know where to find it.

P.s. I have the Orange firmware which is fugly and ruins the OEM one by making it totally unituitive.

Finally I would be very grateful if someone could please tell me how to change the key tap in messaging (XT9) when I want to put in the letter 'a', it gives me, for some stupid reason, the letter 'c' (wtf!?!?!)

Thanks in advance

Adz

impuls3

Dec 23, 2006
Hi all, i just updated my touch dual to WM6.1 and having this problem. When the phone rings and I want it to ring silent, i used to have a silence key on the bottom left but its missing now. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

rling

Dec 12, 2007
Adelaide
Hi all, i just updated my touch dual to WM6.1 and having this problem. When the phone rings and I want it to ring silent, i used to have a silence key on the bottom left but its missing now. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Tapping the volume up/down on the left side of the phone should bring up the options for volume/vibrate/silent selection.

Section9

Dec 18, 2007
dont know if anyone noticed this post, but i tested the cab and had a (very slow) today plugin from the diamond working in my QVGA:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=398173
:)

Hi twolf,

I am running the TOUCH 3G version of M2D on my Niki100 and so far, no problems, except when I turn on bluetooth, the icons never shows up.

But I if receive a beam, the icon came on briefly... heard it's a bug.

But Jade version is running smooth on my niki. Might wanna consolidate our findings...

----------------------

Anyway, just some things that you need to note with htchomsettings.xml for manila 2D

1. any changes to the home screen (additional or minus) will change the formatting of your clock (analogue or digital) greatly.

This includes lines, analogue or digital clock, alarm icon so on and so off.

2. The only way to overcome this is to take the htchomesettings.xml and edit the positions again.

Hope these helps.

Last edited:

twolf

Mar 5, 2006
LX
twolf.sytes.net
Hi twolf,

I am running the TOUCH 3G version of M2D on my Niki100 and so far, no problems, except when I turn on bluetooth, the icons never shows up.

But I if receive a beam, the icon came on briefly... heard it's a bug.

But Jade version is running smooth on my niki. Might wanna consolidate our findings...

Sorry, that post was originaly for M3D, not M2D.
When M2D came out, it was changed.
;)

formosanman

Feb 22, 2009
Not sure if anyone's noticed this but when I end a call on my Dual there is annoying little delay of about 3 seconds before the actual call is ended so I searched the registry and found this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\PHONE\PhoneExtendSetting]

And I changed the value of EndCallTime from 3000 to 1000 re-booted and voila no more delays when ending calls;)

how do i get to the registry to edit the settings? thanks