Revert to Stock OS without SD Card

Search This thread

hoakj

Sep 12, 2011
Hi Guys

The SD card slot on my Nook Color broke (card won't stay inserted and just pops back out). I am currently running Phiremod, but now need to return the device to B&N and want to get the stock OS on there.

There are obviously a lot of posts out there about restoring it to the stock software, but is it possible to do this without a functioning SD card slot? If not, has anyone tried returning a NC that is running a non-stock OS?

Thanks

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
I had this same thing happen to me. I did a three fingered hard reboot and then wiped again from within the b&n stock OS.

Power down the nook. When the cyanogwn logo comes up, hold down both volume keys, the n key and the power button at once (hence: three finger wipe). Hold the keys down for about ten seconds until the nook powers down. It will flash and as it is rebooting, repeat the same three fingered press. You will have to repeat this operation sucessfully 8 times in a row. If you don't press the buttons correctly, or in time, the boot animation may load. If so you will have to start the process over.

After the eighth successful hard reboot, the Barnes and noble stock will oad. Complete the b&n registration process, and then go into settings and do a complete wipe/factory reset. You must do both the hard reboot and the internal stock OS factory wipe to have the nook completely reset!

It is that easy.

Edit: oh yeah, there were no issues with the return. I did call and make sure they knew what the problem was, which was obviously a hardware issue, but since it was completely wiped, this method should work for anyone and any reason, functioning sdcard slot or no.

Last edited:

hoakj

Sep 12, 2011
I had this same thing happen to me. I did a three fingered hard reboot and then wiped again from within the b&n stock OS.

Power down the nook. When the cyanogwn logo comes up, hold down both volume keys, the n key and the power button at once (hence: three finger wipe). Hold the keys down for about ten seconds until the nook powers down. It will flash and as it is rebooting, repeat the same three fingered press. You will have to repeat this operation sucessfully 8 times in a row. If you don't press the buttons correctly, or in time, the boot animation may load. If so you will have to start the process over.

After the eighth successful hard reboot, the Barnes and noble stock will oad. Complete the b&n registration process, and then go into settings and do a complete wipe/factory reset. You must do both the hard reboot and the internal stock OS factory wipe to have the nook completely reset!

It is that easy.

Thanks. Will try that tonight.

hoakj

Sep 12, 2011
This worked well. Thanks for the instructions.

Small edit to the instructions above would be that you only have to hold down the '+' volume button when doing the three finger reset -- not both volume buttons. Also, on my version of Phiremod, there was no CM logo, so I just started the three finger reset after the "read forever" logo disappeared.

It actually took me two attempts at stringing together 8 in a row to get it to work. When it finally worked, I can't be sure that it was actually the 8th time, but just keep at it.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
You guys keep surprising me every day, for real.
From running CM7, left it in the car where temp. was around 7 degrees, suddenly it returns to stock, and now running a custom ROM, just do a 8-time reboots and it's back to stock? Without reflashing stock ROM first? How that possible?

patruns

May 30, 2011
I had to return mine for the same reason and simply held the card in with my finger while wiping and restoring. Was somewhat painful and tiring but it worked. Just another reason for people not to frequently swap cards on this device.

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Oh man, i tried that. I tell you what, I spent forever trying that method. For real, it made me want to smash the thing and never look back. I have some big hands, and the card kept slipping on me halfway through. It took me a while to find this method and i couldn't believe this wasn't option one instead of somewhat unknown.

That person who literally froze their nook back to stock- now that was just wild.

MISRy

Oct 25, 2011
Kay See Emmoh
You guys keep surprising me every day, for real.
From running CM7, left it in the car where temp. was around 7 degrees, suddenly it returns to stock, and now running a custom ROM, just do a 8-time reboots and it's back to stock? Without reflashing stock ROM first? How that possible?

As far as I'm concerned that *is* the stock ROM. Literally, the Read Only Memory that it comes out of the factory with. Nothing short of an EMP can remove it. Mine falls back to version 1.0.0 after an 8+1.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
As far as I'm concerned that *is* the stock ROM. Literally, the Read Only Memory that it comes out of the factory with. Nothing short of an EMP can remove it. Mine falls back to version 1.0.0 after an 8+1.

Until that day, I am always under the impression of flashing custom ROM means OVERWRITES the stock ROM, no? If what's you said is true, then flashing custom ROM was just placing it ON TOP of the stock one.

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Yeah, you literally can't lose the factory ROM. Its a beautiful thing. Having the sdcard as the primary boot makes the nook an ideal hacking tablet. I have torn through and messed with just about every system file and database I could think of, because it was all risk free.

I know that the tech moves fast, and people have their new darlings, the luster wears off and all that, but the nook is probably my favorite gadget I've ever bought. Unkillable.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
LOL :D, after using NC for almost a year, I still find something to love the NC even more :)
It is awesome.

squarehdca

Apr 24, 2012
still trying

Am I doing this wrong?
Do I try the three finger wipe when the cyanogen(mod) symbol comes up or when the cyanogen(mod) 7 animated logo starts? All I wanted is access to Android apps( being from Canada).
Tried more than 8 times at the first symbol, but it comes up but the text ....Booting into recovery... Am I too quick on the trigger? Please excuse the old fart with big fingers. Thanks for any replies.

Harrybub

Nov 14, 2010
Am I doing this wrong?
Do I try the three finger wipe when the cyanogen(mod) symbol comes up or when the cyanogen(mod) 7 animated logo starts? All I wanted is access to Android apps( being from Canada).
Tried more than 8 times at the first symbol, but it comes up but the text ....Booting into recovery... Am I too quick on the trigger? Please excuse the old fart with big fingers. Thanks for any replies.

Start with the Nook completely powered off.

Press and hold the Pwr. button, the Vol. + button, and the n button until you see the screen flash.

Release all buttons for 1 sec then press and hold only the Pwr. button until the Nook powers down. (Backlight off) This works best in dim lighting.

Do it again.

Do it 8 times in a row and the next time it will install the image stored internally and you will be back to what it came out of the box with.

If you goof up the timing and it starts to boot up you will have to power it down again and start over at count one.

I have done this several timems on 2 different Nooks and it always works.

Oh and stop with the old fart stuff. I'm 60. :D

Reactions: Malave

kontam

May 17, 2012
This was extremely helpful when for some reason it wasn't letting me restore the device in the first place. I really should've known about this but I appreciate it greatly and it is pretty great that it works so easily.

brsingr

May 12, 2011
Alta Loma

Press and hold the Pwr. button, the Vol. + button, and the n button until you see the screen flash.

Release all buttons for 1 sec then press and hold only the Pwr. button until the Nook powers down. (Backlight off) This works best in dim lighting.

Do it again.

Do it 8 times in a row and the next time it will install the image stored internally and you will be back to what it came out of the box with.

If you goof up the timing and it starts to boot up you will have to power it down again and start over at count one.

So what your saying is that I can restore my NC back to stock even if I've installed CM7 directly to the emmc, using the 3 fingered "salute" boot? I think I did something like this months ago, but my NC has been on the full android for so long now, I want to return it to B&N stock seeing as I have an android phone now...and maybe start over again.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Harrybub

Nov 14, 2010
So what your saying is that I can restore my NC back to stock even if I've installed CM7 directly to the emmc, using the 3 fingered "salute" boot? I think I did something like this months ago, but my NC has been on the full android for so long now, I want to return it to B&N stock seeing as I have an android phone now...and maybe start over again.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

I've never tried it in that exact situation but I think the answer is yes...

Lakland

Jan 18, 2012
Puerto Rico
i tried this and after the 3rd attempt, the Rom manager menu appears and now i am on a rom menu loop, I hit reboot, the cyanogen logo appears and then the ROM manager menu!

not good!

I boot using sd card that was formatted with CM7.2 and works fine.

help please!

thanks!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
i tried this and after the 3rd attempt, the Rom manager menu appears and now i am on a rom menu loop, I hit reboot, the cyanogen logo appears and then the ROM manager menu!

not good!

help please!

thanks!
I think you mean the Clockworkmod menu, not ROM Manager. If you are in a recovery bootloop, which it sounds like you are, go to my tips thread linked in my signature and look at item A8. Follow what it says and it may get out of it.

Reactions: Lakland

yashodhan92

Apr 29, 2011
Nagpur

It is that easy.

Edit: oh yeah, there were no issues with the return. I did call and make sure they knew what the problem was, which was obviously a hardware issue, but since it was completely wiped, this method should work for anyone and any reason, functioning sdcard slot or no.
I have been tryin to do this but after the 4th/5th try it boots into recovery. Am i doing something wrong:crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It is that easy.

Am I doing this wrong?

Do it again.

not good!

help please!

thanks!
    I think you mean the Clockworkmod menu, not ROM Manager. If you are in a recovery bootloop, which it sounds like you are, go to my tips thread linked in my signature and look at item A8. Follow what it says and it may get out of it.