FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] *TrackMe* GPS/WiFi/Cell Tracking tool for Google Earth/GM Now avail for Android

2,569 posts
Thanks Meter: 130

Post Reply Email Thread
25th November 2011, 01:52 AM |#71  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LEM_

New version available: SMS tracking. Use text messages to start and stop tracking from any phones!

Crap, and blocks it from Wifi-only tablets. I really hate the way the market does filtering based on capabilities. The new SMS permission in the manifest did this. Not sure how to get around it, except SMS being a separate app that plugs into TrackMe.

25th November 2011, 03:21 AM |#72  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

Crap, and blocks it from Wifi-only tablets. I really hate the way the market does filtering based on capabilities. The new SMS permission in the manifest did this. Not sure how to get around it, except SMS being a separate app that plugs into TrackMe.

no way...really? I didn't know that.
What about if you install the APK manually? Would that work?
25th November 2011, 12:53 PM |#73  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

New version available: SMS tracking. Use text messages to start and stop tracking from any phones!

Doesn't work for me, but then it never has with other programs that have tried to do the same thing. (I use GoSMS which I presume is what's interfering with it)

Would be a nice feature to have but the current release is rock solid, been on for 10 days now and still working fine so I'm happy
25th November 2011, 01:38 PM |#74  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigggger

Doesn't work for me, but then it never has with other programs that have tried to do the same thing. (I use GoSMS which I presume is what's interfering with it)

Would be a nice feature to have but the current release is rock solid, been on for 10 days now and still working fine so I'm happy

When I setup the sms receiver I need to assign a priority (a number) with it.
Maybe GoSMS has a higher number and got the message first. I can try to increase that number and give you that version to test. Would you like to try that?
25th November 2011, 03:01 PM |#75  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191

More
Quote:

no way...really? I didn't know that.
What about if you install the APK manually? Would that work?

Yeah sideloading is fine, at least in cases like this. Only time I've seen it be a problem is say a device does not have a GPS and the app tries to access the GPS (crash), same with Camera. But SMS I'd think it's just listening for intents?

I can check this later to make sure it's still functional. But yeah, wanted to let you know that the market does some filtering in that regard, and not sure if there's anything (besides taking something out of the manifest) that can be done on the developers end.
25th November 2011, 03:24 PM |#76  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

Yeah sideloading is fine, at least in cases like this. Only time I've seen it be a problem is say a device does not have a GPS and the app tries to access the GPS (crash), same with Camera. But SMS I'd think it's just listening for intents?

I can check this later to make sure it's still functional. But yeah, wanted to let you know that the market does some filtering in that regard, and not sure if there's anything (besides taking something out of the manifest) that can be done on the developers end.

For SMS I basically register a broadcast receiver. As you said if I remove the entry from the manifest will probably show up there....damn it...I don't really want to have different versions depending on the device. I wish there was another way.
25th November 2011, 03:26 PM |#77  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

By the way, I will install GoSMS to test this. I hope I can find a way to make TrackMe faster than GoSMS to catch the text messages
25th November 2011, 03:40 PM |#78  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I just found this:

Quote:

Go SMS Pro's priority is maximal 2147483647 (2^31-1). You can set this value too. If priorities are the same Android OS will serve "older" app, the one you have installed first. I say this from my experience I don't have google's say on the matter.

TrackMe's is set to 1000 (the maximum recommended value)
Even if I set it to 2147483647 it will not work unless you install TrackMe first.

I read many people complaining about GoSMS' invasive strategy for this matter.

One thing I can do is to check if there are other apps running in the system listening for sms messages with a higher priority than TrackMe and warn the user about that.
25th November 2011, 04:50 PM |#79  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I just tried to change TrackMe's priority to 2147483647. Then I installed GoSMS.
I got the message with both applications. So it seems it's not really which one was installed first. It's a matter of priority.

The next version will have the priority set to 2147483647. I will also notify the user when they enable tracking if there are other apps that could interfere.
25th November 2011, 05:16 PM |#80  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Did it still activate when you had both loaded ?

PS Is there no 'angle' uploaded in the current version all my values appear to be NULL and can't see it in the log file.
25th November 2011, 05:21 PM |#81  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Did it still activate when you had both loaded ?

PS Is there no 'angle' uploaded in the current version all my values appear to be NULL and can't see it in the log file.

Yes, with this change that I just did it will work on TrackMe but you will also get the text message on gosms. I don't think there is anything else I can do about it.

Yeah...I'm not uploading the angle yet. Probably next week.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)