Odin 3 "FAIL! (Auth)" When trying to root...

Search This thread

qi2

Aug 28, 2013
San Jose
Hello, this is my first post on an xda forum. I sincerely apologize if this thread has already been made but I have searched for quite a while not just on the xda forums, but everywhere else to try and find a solution, but to no avail. I have been racking my brain and researching for the past few days to try and find out what the problem is with my phone but I can't seem to figure it out. Long story short, I am trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 (again) but whenever it gets about halfway in Odin it says "FAIL! (Auth)" and then stops. I rooted my phone about a year ago but never fully understood the point of it so I unrooted it and recently took an interest in rooting so I have been trying again.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/007> Removed!!
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> boot.img
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

This is the string of messages( I think that's what it's called) that I receive when I try and flash a .md5 file onto my phone using Odin.
I apologize if this is a bit jumbled up, I am trying my best to fix this problem and it's quite frustrating. I will accept any helpful tips pointing towards the solution to this problem and will do my best to answer any questions. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

qi2

Aug 28, 2013
San Jose
Just making sure. You are trying to flash a VZW Stock image file via Odin using the PDA Section? The PDA Section is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I finally figured out what was wrong after some more research! My specific phone the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535), has had some kind of specific restriction that prevents me from flashing certain ROMs or things like that. Upon research I found a ROM that was semi stock, but also included Superuser and I flashed it and everything went perfectly! I learned a lot through all the research and through trial and error though which is great. My phone seems to be working great except for the fact that the internet connection is really weak or just slow, not really sure what happened. Do you have any tips on how to fix this problem? Also any app recommendations? Thanks! :D

Reactions: AndreWhumphrey

AndreWhumphrey

Sep 4, 2013
Might it be possible for you to expand on any information you have about this semi-stock ROM you found? I'm running into this exact same issue with my new sch-i535.

joedajoester

Aug 11, 2012
Hello, this is my first post on an xda forum. I sincerely apologize if this thread has already been made but I have searched for quite a while not just on the xda forums, but everywhere else to try and find a solution, but to no avail. I have been racking my brain and researching for the past few days to try and find out what the problem is with my iPhone but I can't seem to figure it out. Long story short, I am trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 (again) but whenever it gets about halfway in Odin it says "FAIL! (Auth)" and then stops. I rooted my phone about a year ago but never fully understood the point of it so I unrooted it and recently took an interest in rooting so I have been trying again.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/007> Removed!!
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> boot.img
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

This is the string of messages( I think that's what it's called) that I receive when I try and flash a .md5 file onto my phone using Odin.
I apologize if this is a bit jumbled up, I am trying my best to fix this problem and it's quite frustrating. I will accept any helpful tips pointing towards the solution to this problem and will do my best to answer any questions. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Well that's a nice workaround :p but if you do ever decide to return to stock and the latest version of it, use this thread to root it without Odin. Lol I tried rooting through Odin with a method for older versions and made my phone bootloop. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2332825

Last edited:

yotaotomi14

Jan 3, 2014
i need help pls!

I finally figured out what was wrong after some more research! My specific phone the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535), has had some kind of specific restriction that prevents me from flashing certain ROMs or things like that. Upon research I found a ROM that was semi stock, but also included Superuser and I flashed it and everything went perfectly! I learned a lot through all the research and through trial and error though which is great. My phone seems to be working great except for the fact that the internet connection is really weak or just slow, not really sure what happened. Do you have any tips on how to fix this problem? Also any app recommendations? Thanks! :D

Sir how did you fix your Samsung S3 verizon... i have same proble.. pls help me.. thanks in advance

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Gentlemen, not everyone issue the same even it may shown the same. You need to provide what rom version you are on and what version you try to flash, do you have recovery already installed, is your bootloader unlocked and rooted and why you need to flash, like you need root, or you bootloop or what????

jbrocoolman14

Jan 12, 2014

Gentlemen, not everyone issue the same even it may shown the same. You need to provide what rom version you are on and what version you try to flash, do you have recovery already installed, is your bootloader unlocked and rooted and why you need to flash, like you need root, or you bootloop or what????
I installed just a recovery so far and it does not work. I haven't unlocked bootloader i dont know how but my gs4 is rooted

jbrocoolman14

Jan 12, 2014

What version do you have?4.1.2? On Jelly Bean, you need to unlock bootloader first before you flash custom rom or recovery.

i have version 4.3 of jelly bean and i didnt unlock bootloader before i flashed recovery. i cant install a custom rom yet because i TWRP recovery does not work. What is bootloader?

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

i have version 4.3 of jelly bean and i didnt unlock bootloader before i flashed recovery. i cant install a custom rom yet because i TWRP recovery does not work. What is bootloader?

I have the stock rom touchwiz

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

I have the stock rom touchwiz

Oh no, you haven't research much didn't you. If you already on 4.3, your bootloader is LOCKED PERMANENTLY, meaning you CAN NOT flash recovery or custom rom/kernel. The only thing you can do is root your phone. That's it. Attempt to flash recovery will brick your phone. If your phone stills bootup, then just root it using saferoot found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 . If your phone is not booting anymore but still get to download mode then go here for solution http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319 . If you phone doesn't power on at all go here for solution http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2581166 . Carefully read which one belong to you and slowly and carefully do the right thing. If you have any question just ask.

jbrocoolman14

Jan 12, 2014
thank you so very much. another thing how am I going to go back to original recovery without resetting or wiping phone. and will try with 4.3 mess up my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Reactions: jbrocoolman14

jbrocoolman14

Jan 12, 2014
my phone is already rooted I just wanted to install custom Rom with 4.3 which I now know i can't do

jbrocoolman14

Jan 12, 2014
Oh no, you haven't research much didn't you. If you already on 4.3, your bootloader is LOCKED PERMANENTLY, meaning you CAN NOT flash recovery or custom rom/kernel. The only thing you can do is root your phone. That's it. Attempt to flash recovery will brick your phone. If your phone stills bootup, then just root it using saferoot found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 . If your phone is not booting anymore but still get to download mode then go here for solution http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319 . If you phone doesn't power on at all go here for solution http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2581166 . Carefully read which one belong to you and slowly and carefully do the right thing. If you have any question just ask.

I did some more research and I think I can flash a recovery or rom because i would just need to find a bootloader. Or if i could flash back to stock recovery that would be fine. Is it possible to get kitkat 4.4.2 right now. I know the GT version of gs4 can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just making sure. You are trying to flash a VZW Stock image file via Odin using the PDA Section? The PDA Section is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Try an earlier radio? Some people say the Newest radios just do not cut it for them.

I installed just a recovery so far and it does not work. I haven't unlocked bootloader i dont know how but my gs4 is rooted

What version do you have?4.1.2? On Jelly Bean, you need to unlock bootloader first before you flash custom rom or recovery.
    No my phone boots up

Wait a minute , I think we went off track. So your phone is working fine with 4.3 and you just want to root the phone? If you just want to root the phone then try this here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758
    THAT'S IS ALL YOU CAN DO WITH 4.3. You CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE and don't even try safestrap....