[WIP] How to enable Tmobile AWS 1700 band on S3 I747 and I747M (NV backup method)

Search This thread

upncoming

Feb 2, 2013
Chicago
At the moment this mod is not sticking after a reboot. I'll keep working on it to see if it can be fixed.

This mod will enable your I747 or I747M to connect to Tmobile's AWS 1700 band. You are doing this at your own risk, and none of the parties involved with creating this mod are responsible for any negative results you might have. If for some reason something does go wrong please post in this thread, and I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to help out. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

SETUP
1. Download one of the NV Data backup files from one of the links below. (Mirrors are welcome if you want to add one.) Thanks to MotoDefier for supplying and editing the T999L backup.

2. Download and install: QPST v2.7.378.zip Thanks to lyriquidperfection for keeping this handy and giving me an already great guide to quote.

3. Dial *#7284# on your phone to access PhoneUtil and select 'Qualcomm USB Settings' at the bottom. Now select 'RNDIS + DM + MODEM' and press 'OK' to return to the previous screen. Now press your 'Back' key to exit PhoneUtil. Your phone is now in DIAG Mode.

4. Connect your phone to your computer via USB.

5. Start "QPST Configuration" and select the "Ports" tab. Then click on "Add New Port".

6. Select the COM Port that has "USB/QC Diagnostic" next to it and click ok. You should now see your phone in the "Ports" tab.

7. Click the "Start Clients" menu at the top and choose "Software download". QPST software download application should open.

NV DATA BACKUP
1. In QPST Software Download select the "Backup" tab.

2.Press the "Browse" button next to the QCN file pull down and choose a save location for your backup file.

3.Press the "Start" button and wait for it to finish. Once it's done you'll have a backup of your phone's NV Data and IMEI.

Write NV Data
1. In QPST Software Download select the "Restore" tab.

2. Press the "Browse" button next to the QCN file pull down and locate the NV backup you downloaded in the setup section.

3. Press the "Start" button and wait for it to finish. If QPST says that it failed to restart your device just reboot it yourself manually.

4. That's it! You're done!

Restore USB Settings after Backup / Restore:
Dial *#7284# on your phone to access PhoneUtil and select 'Qualcomm USB Settings' at the bottom. Now select 'MTP + ADB' and press 'OK' to return to the previous screen. Now press your 'Back' key to exit PhoneUtil. Your phone is now back to default USB operation.

If you'd like to make sure you are able to use the 1700 band.
1. In your dialer press *#2263# (*#BAND#)

2. Press WCDMA Band Preference then WCDMA 1700.

3. Press the menu key and then select back. You should have an asterisk next to WCDMA 1700 now, and after a few seconds your data connection should start on that band. Enjoy!

4. To revert to full bandwidth: Press the menu key, select back, and then in the service mode menu select automatic.

DOWNLOADS

QPST v2.7.378.zip: http://d-h.st/8vN

Both of these NV Data backup files do the same thing. They just come from different sources.

NV Data backup from T999L: T999LNVData.qcn - 275.50 KB

NV Data backup from I747 using Eng Modem and CSC: I747NV with AWS.qcn - 252.00 KB

CREDITS AND THANKS!

MotoDefier (Huge thank you for giving us this file and teaching me to hate Windows 8!)
DocHoliday77 (Thank you for letting us muck up your awesome T999L thread while we worked this out! Sorry about that!)
Product F(RED) (For sharing this idea)
athlonxp2300 (For getting the ball rolling)
achmedkb01 (For his NV file)
lyriquidperfection )For already having a great QPST guide that helped me write this one, and hosting the QPST download)
sjravi (For starting this with his Note 2 thread and answering my questions about editing the QCN file)
Pat on the back to myself for only mispelling 1 word in this whole op. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jblparisi

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks everyone for their involvement on this mod and of course the op for taking his/her time to write this guide.

PS: any advantage of using one backup or the other ?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

upncoming

Feb 2, 2013
Chicago
Thanks everyone for their involvement on this mod and of course the op for taking his/her time to write this guide.

PS: any advantage of using one backup or the other ?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

You're welcome!

They're both the exact same file. MotoDefier wasn't sure if he'd keep his up very long, and you never know if and when Dev-host will shut one down for having too many downloads. The more mirrors, the merrier...

lensgrabber

May 10, 2012
Golden
Thanks to everyone working on this and the guide. I have a couple of questions. This requires a stock touchwiz rom? The other threads leading up to this one says yes but I didn't see anything mentioned in the guide. I have a unlocked phone via a code from AT&T customer support. Should the unlock remain intact after the qcn restore is done? These might be stupid questions but it's safer to ask now than be sorry later. Cheers.

upncoming

Feb 2, 2013
Chicago
Thanks to everyone working on this and the guide. I have a couple of questions. This requires a stock touchwiz rom? The other threads leading up to this one says yes but I didn't see anything mentioned in the guide. I have a unlocked phone via a code from AT&T customer support. Should the unlock remain intact after the qcn restore is done? These might be stupid questions but it's safer to ask now than be sorry later. Cheers.

Stock Rom? I don't think so... Although, I think I've read in similar threads that having a stock dialer is important for the ussd code that lets you get to Qualcomm settings. Good catch! I'll have to look that up and add it to the op. I'm pretty sure there's an app you can dl for a workaround. Both phones I did this on were running rooted stock, so I didn't think about it.

You should not lose your unlock. I unlocked with this method and did not lose it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176721
If somehow it goes away, the above method has worked for me 4 out of 4 times already on 4 different phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

New Optimus

Stock Rom? I don't think so... Although, I think I've read in similar threads that having a stock dialer is important for the ussd code that lets you get to Qualcomm settings. Good catch! I'll have to look that up and add it to the op. I'm pretty sure there's an app you can dl for a workaround. Both phones I did this on were running rooted stock, so I didn't think about it.

You should not lose your unlock. I unlocked with this method and did not lose it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176721
If somehow it goes away, the above method has worked for me 4 out of 4 times already on 4 different phones.

First, yes stock rom is required, or at least one with the dialer codes in it which are touchwiz roms. Not being as familiar with samsung touchwiz I could not tell you if there are roms based on it that would still have the dialer codes.

Second this will not change the sim lock statues of the phone, I am glad that you linked to the unlock thread though, might want to add it to the OP because really if you want to do this mod its because you want to run on tmo right?;)

athlonxp2300

Nov 9, 2005
Guide is ready to go. Let me know if anybody sees anything I missed. Should be good.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43100050#post43100050

If this is true...

This mod will enable your I747 or I747M to connect to Tmobile's AWS 1700 band.....

I think some i747M owners owe some bounty to moto and upncoming. Maybe a little to product f(red) for suggesting it too.
Thanks for your work! And taking the risk. I'll try tomorrow.
Edit... sorry I meant to post this in the original thread.

Last edited:

cdsu23

Dec 29, 2010
What if I want to install a non tw rom like cm10.1? Will the nv settings remain intact?

New Optimus

What if I want to install a non tw rom like cm10.1? Will the nv settings remain intact?

As long as your not flashing a modem, and most roms do not have a modem included, there should be no problem, it should stick after the new rom is running.

I dont have mine yet to do testing but I like stock like roms, such as cm roms, so I will be testing this extensively when my phone gets here, probably wed.

athlonxp2300

Nov 9, 2005
Guide is ready to go. Let me know if anybody sees anything I missed. Should be good.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43100050#post43100050

If this is true...

This mod will enable your I747 or I747M to connect to Tmobile's AWS 1700 band.....

I think some i747M owners owe some bounty to moto and upncoming. Maybe a little to product f(red) for suggesting it too.
Op should probably be updated to reflect it too.

Thanks for your work! And taking the risk. I'll try tomorrow.

athlonxp2300

Nov 9, 2005
The first reboot after the nv flash was good. Second reboot lost it. This might also explain why some were having problems trying to flash other roms.

upncoming

Feb 2, 2013
Chicago
I updated the op. I'll try working on it later to see if it can be fixed.

New Optimus

hmm, I can not wait for my phone to get here so I can test it out.

By the way I can host a mirror of that .qcn file if you want to add it to the first post, but be warned this is just on my home server and is subject to going down at the wim of well anything, loss of power at home internet outage, what ever, though the server is running 24/7 so it should be good.

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/T999L NV Backup.qcn

Reactions: upncoming

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At the moment this mod is not sticking after a reboot. I'll keep working on it to see if it can be fixed.

This mod will enable your I747 or I747M to connect to Tmobile's AWS 1700 band. You are doing this at your own risk, and none of the parties involved with creating this mod are responsible for any negative results you might have. If for some reason something does go wrong please post in this thread, and I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to help out. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

SETUP
    1. Download one of the NV Data backup files from one of the links below. (Mirrors are welcome if you want to add one.) Thanks to MotoDefier for supplying and editing the T999L backup.

2. Download and install: QPST v2.7.378.zip Thanks to lyriquidperfection for keeping this handy and giving me an already great guide to quote.

3. Dial *#7284# on your phone to access PhoneUtil and select 'Qualcomm USB Settings' at the bottom. Now select 'RNDIS + DM + MODEM' and press 'OK' to return to the previous screen. Now press your 'Back' key to exit PhoneUtil. Your phone is now in DIAG Mode.

4. Connect your phone to your computer via USB.

5. Start "QPST Configuration" and select the "Ports" tab. Then click on "Add New Port".

6. Select the COM Port that has "USB/QC Diagnostic" next to it and click ok. You should now see your phone in the "Ports" tab.

7. Click the "Start Clients" menu at the top and choose "Software download". QPST software download application should open.

NV DATA BACKUP
    1. In QPST Software Download select the "Backup" tab.

2.Press the "Browse" button next to the QCN file pull down and choose a save location for your backup file.

3.Press the "Start" button and wait for it to finish. Once it's done you'll have a backup of your phone's NV Data and IMEI.

Write NV Data
    1. In QPST Software Download select the "Restore" tab.

2. Press the "Browse" button next to the QCN file pull down and locate the NV backup you downloaded in the setup section.

3. Press the "Start" button and wait for it to finish. If QPST says that it failed to restart your device just reboot it yourself manually.

4. That's it! You're done!

Restore USB Settings after Backup / Restore:
    Dial *#7284# on your phone to access PhoneUtil and select 'Qualcomm USB Settings' at the bottom. Now select 'MTP + ADB' and press 'OK' to return to the previous screen. Now press your 'Back' key to exit PhoneUtil. Your phone is now back to default USB operation.

If you'd like to make sure you are able to use the 1700 band.
    1. In your dialer press *#2263# (*#BAND#)

2. Press WCDMA Band Preference then WCDMA 1700.

3. Press the menu key and then select back. You should have an asterisk next to WCDMA 1700 now, and after a few seconds your data connection should start on that band. Enjoy!

4. To revert to full bandwidth: Press the menu key, select back, and then in the service mode menu select automatic.

DOWNLOADS

QPST v2.7.378.zip: http://d-h.st/8vN

Both of these NV Data backup files do the same thing. They just come from different sources.

NV Data backup from T999L: T999LNVData.qcn - 275.50 KB

NV Data backup from I747 using Eng Modem and CSC: I747NV with AWS.qcn - 252.00 KB

CREDITS AND THANKS!

MotoDefier (Huge thank you for giving us this file and teaching me to hate Windows 8!)
    DocHoliday77 (Thank you for letting us muck up your awesome T999L thread while we worked this out! Sorry about that!)
    Product F(RED) (For sharing this idea)
    athlonxp2300 (For getting the ball rolling)
    achmedkb01 (For his NV file)
    lyriquidperfection )For already having a great QPST guide that helped me write this one, and hosting the QPST download)
    sjravi (For starting this with his Note 2 thread and answering my questions about editing the QCN file)
    Pat on the back to myself for only mispelling 1 word in this whole op. :rolleyes:
    Would it be too much of a bother to get a Dropbox link from you? If not its ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

This is probably the same one. I think I got it off of Phandroid, maybe? I had it sitting in my sd card.

http://d-h.st/irk

Hope this isn't too noobie of a question. ..if I have aws enabled and I have automatic selected if I go into an area where I would normally get 2g would it pick up the 3 or 4g instead? Or do I need to have the 1700 band selected?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Generally speaking the phone will pick up HSPA before edge. So if the 1700 is strong enough to grab it will go there, However the att phones are set to look to 1900 first so if the 1700 is a weaker signal it will skip it in favor of strong 1900.

so if you are in an area you know has 1700 but your phone is showing edge go into the dialer and dial *#2263# select WCDMA 1700 let it switch and then go back and select automatic. It will then keep the 1700 as long as the signal is strong enough.
    Any work still being done on this to get it to stick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Yes. Slowly but surely.