Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

d1rtyd33z

Feb 13, 2008
call waiting

Martin,

Have you made any progress on 3-way/callwaiting? I've been running android 24/7 for a couple weeks now and the only real problem I've run into is if im using the phone and someone else calls me. I heard the call-waiting beep during the call but android does not recognize a new incoming call, or offer me any ability to switch over to it to answer it. I recall there being some discussion of this about 60 pages ago, but I can't find those threads. I'll keep digging in the forum for now, but was this a known issue, or did I miss an update?

EDIT: I've emailed you a copy of the radio logcat as described in post 1705.

--Daniel

Last edited:

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
This apk is meant to work with grktaurus83's initrdtoggle. The "check status" button executes "/bin/ifconfig ppp0" and the "toggle" button executes "/toggle.sh". Both are executed under su. I've tested that it works using both initrdtoggle v05 and v06.

Hopefully this makes all your toggling an easier and much more satisfying experience. ;)

download link:
http://www.retrobits.net/android/Togga_100_retrobits.apk

P.S. I've noticed that running ifconfig too quickly after toggle.sh disturbs the connection process, so I added a small wait indicator after you tap toggle.

Awesome! I will be trying this out in a bit and I'll post my results as well.

Edit: Very nice! Works like a charm and makes toggling a snap. Maybe with this Martin may include the toggle in his next build? If not, I'll try to make an updated initrd.toggle whenever Martin puts out a release (for those of you who would like to keep using it). Again, excellent work retrobits!

Martin,

Have you made any progress on 3-way/callwaiting? I've been running android 24/7 for a couple weeks now and the only real problem I've run into is if im using the phone and someone else calls me. I heard the call-waiting beep during the call but android does not recognize a new incoming call, or offer me any ability to switch over to it to answer it. I recall there being some discussion of this about 60 pages ago, but I can't find those threads. I'll keep digging in the forum for now, but was this a known issue, or did I miss an update?

--Daniel

I believe it is still a known issue that hasn't been resolved yet.

Last edited:

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
The only time I have seen this is when you try to run the toggle without being root. You need to run this script as root for it to work. Please follow the directions listed on the download page.

Seems this is one unlucky page of questions, eh Nickman1? Haha.

Thanks, I tried the first few times typing su first. perhaps my spacing was incorrect because it didn't do anything. Thanks for the work around, I will give it a shot now. What does 'su' stand for anyway?

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
Thanks, I tried the first few times typing su first. perhaps my spacing was incorrect because it didn't do anything. Thanks for the work around, I will give it a shot now. What does 'su' stand for anyway?

su stands for "switch user."

If you don't supply a username after the su (such as "su grktaurus83"), then it assumes you are trying to switch to the root account (equivalent to typing "su root").

You'll know whether or not the command succeeded by the symbol in front of your command prompt. "$" means you're running as a non-root user while "#" means you're running as root. If it succeeds, your $ will become a #.

Let me know how the new script works out for you.

Oh and you should check out retrobits toggle apk (a page or two back). You don't need to use the command line to switch over any more and you can make a shortcut onto the home screen! It's great!

suanccd

Feb 22, 2008
After the previous post about script failure due to permission requirements, I tested an idea I had and I found a workaround to the root access requirement. So now, you no longer need to run the toggle as root for it to work.

The script has been updated to v06. Get it at http://prometheus.usc.edu/initrdtoggle and enjoy.

This should also make running the script from an apk easier.

Can you please post toggle.sh in your site as well? Many thanks.

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
Can you please post toggle.sh in your site as well? Many thanks.

Yea, I can go ahead and do that sometime in the next few days. But toggle.sh isn't the major part of the script. I've made significant changes to the setupmodem.sh and added a sleep.sh to the whole thing. I'll probably end up making a google code site for it, probably published under the GPL.

Just remember to give credit where credit is due (to Martin for the connection script and me for the toggle portion).

And remember to give me feedback on my scripts... I use it to improve it's performance/usability.

Take care.

joeyjones

Nov 25, 2008
No internet using the most recent files

I'm using android on a bell mobility branded htc vogue and the internet is not working. I had it working intermittently, but after updating to the most recent version from marc's site and using v05 of the initrd.toggle I can no longer get any internet access, or occasionally I get access for long enough to load one or two pages. This is using the default default.txt. I do have a strong internet connection in windows mobile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
I'm using android on a bell mobility branded htc vogue and the internet is not working. I had it working intermittently, but after updating to the most recent version from marc's site and using v05 of the initrd.toggle I can no longer get any internet access, or occasionally I get access for long enough to load one or two pages. This is using the default default.txt. I do have a strong internet connection in windows mobile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

At least read the last 5 pages before asking for help. It takes less than 10 minutes and your questions are covered there...

And go ahead and update to the latest version of initrd.toggle (v06).

I've already recommended changing the defaults.txt several times and that usually fixes the problem for people.

username=blah
password=
[password is blank]

Last edited:

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Hi,

I've put a new build on my site, it includes grktaurus83's toggle initrd and retrobits's Togga apk.

The camera should take 2M pixel images now, it's still a bit quirky though.

The only thing I changed in grktaurus83's initrd is that I added a line to hang up the modem rather than just kill pppd, this should save a whole heap of power.

Martin

smopoim86

Oct 10, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I can't get the toggle to work, I'm on USCC (US Cellular) and only have data if it's connected during boot. I'm using today's release and have put a username in. I'm not sure if I need an actual username and pass on my network or not. When i use toggle, sometimes it gives me a device not found error. Any ideas?

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
Hi,

I've put a new build on my site, it includes grktaurus83's toggle initrd and retrobits's Togga apk.

The only thing I changed in grktaurus83's initrd is that I added a line to hang up the modem rather than just kill pppd, this should save a whole heap of power.

Martin

Great. Just downloaded, thanks a lot.

I was wondering...does anyone have another maps app? Or could anyone find one? I would just really like to see this go to the fully open-sourced version. And if the current stability of google maps in there is no good then...lets find another maps app!

I personally would much rather go to a more up-to-date version than have a maps app (especially w/o gps). Just my vote.

~David

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for the update dzo, trying it out now :)

By the way, would you be able to provide us with your plans/progress on the following features?

- USB Port (using the ExtUSB for headphones, etc.)
- Bluetooth
- LCD Brightness Control
- GPS/AGPS

Also, is there any way to keep the display in Landscape mode?

Last edited:

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
I can't get the toggle to work, I'm on USCC (US Cellular) and only have data if it's connected during boot. I'm using today's release and have put a username in. I'm not sure if I need an actual username and pass on my network or not. When i use toggle, sometimes it gives me a device not found error. Any ideas?

The message on screen is from "/bin/ifconfig ppp0" so if you aren't connected to the internet, that's the message you will see. That is normal.

Again, did you try the username/password combination that I've told people several times? (HINT: it's on the page before this one... *sigh*)

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Thanks for the update dzo, trying it out now :)

By the way, would you be able to provide us with your plans/progress on the following features?

- USB Port (using the ExtUSB for headphones, etc.)
- Bluetooth
- LCD Brightness Control
- GPS/AGPS

Also, is there any way to keep the display in Landscape mode?

USB Headphones should be easy.

Bluetooth shouldn't be too hard since I think the hardware is the same as the G1 but I haven't looked at it yet.

LCD Brightness is trivial.

GPS is very difficult since it seems the radio doesn't provide a NMEA stream, all I see are low level rpc calls. This is probably why GPS under wince doesn't work as well as MSM7200 devices (where there is an NMEA channel).

Currently there is no way to keep things in Landscape, how would you like this to work?

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
USB Headphones should be easy.

Bluetooth shouldn't be too hard since I think the hardware is the same as the G1 but I haven't looked at it yet.

LCD Brightness is trivial.

GPS is very difficult since it seems the radio doesn't provide a NMEA stream, all I see are low level rpc calls. This is probably why GPS under wince doesn't work as well as MSM7200 devices (where there is an NMEA channel).

Currently there is no way to keep things in Landscape, how would you like this to work?

Oh nice, sounds like lots of progress could me made without significant time/effort. Good luck with these!

Hi,

Martin

Thanks for the hangup addition. I forgot that I needed to hang up the connection.

One thing I was wondering about is uninstalling Togga when it comes time to updating versions. I don't see an option to uninstall Togga in the "manage applications" section for Togga even though the option did exist prior to its inclusion in your current release. Any way around this?

I've made a few minor changes to the toggle script (mostly logging changes and reduced one sleep timer) to help interface with Togga a little bit better. I've been testing it out and it seems to work just fine. I'll be adding in your hang up code and releasing a new version sometime in the next day or so.

Last edited:

Balkar

Mar 13, 2008
Québec, Québec
Hi guys, i'm trying to download application for android but i cant seem to find anywhere to download those .apk files... More specifically i'm looking for the application Compare Everywhere.

Thanks in advance
Alex

smopoim86

Oct 10, 2008
Knoxville, TN
The message on screen is from "/bin/ifconfig ppp0" so if you aren't connected to the internet, that's the message you will see. That is normal.

Again, did you try the username/password combination that I've told people several times? (HINT: it's on the page before this one... *sigh*)

Yes, I'm using the username that has been given. It will even say connected part of the time but there is no connection. I've been reading for the last 8 or 10 pages and have tried to apply any info given. I'm really not sure If i'm doing something wrong or if there's another reason it's not working.

One other thought, why does everyone use the default posts per page. I set it to max (40 or 50 per page) and i'm only on page 44 in this thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..