Will the amount of development for Note 3 increase in the future?

Search This thread
G

GuestK00445

Right now Note 3's been out for several months but the development sub-forum's still pretty dead as compared to S4, Note 2, and S3 (which have been out for a longer time). I'm thinking of buying a Note 3, but 3rd-party development is a pretty big factor for me. So I'm just wondering, in the future, will Note 3 development increase? Or will it plateau once the new line of S5 and Note 4 comes out?

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
Right now Note 3's been out for several months but the development sub-forum's still pretty dead as compared to S4, Note 2, and S3 (which have been out for a longer time). I'm thinking of buying a Note 3, but 3rd-party development is a pretty big factor for me. So I'm just wondering, in the future, will Note 3 development increase? Or will it plateau once the new line of S5 and Note 4 comes out?

what thread you looking at
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/development
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/themes-apps
not that bad at all

G

GuestK00445

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
It's not bad, compared to some of the more obscure phones in the market :D

But vs. the no. of threads in the development forum in say, S4 i9505, it pales in comparison, no doubt.

I'm just curious if the level of activity of developers for Note 3 will still increase even after the launch of new phones :)

yeah should do

souljasteve84

Sep 2, 2011
Brisbane
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Once a Kitkat kernal source is released etc compatibility with new boot loader and other factors. We will start seeing more and more development and mods. Since Kitkat has been released/leaked it has kinda halted development due to boot loader and kernel. Once devs get a good grip on it boom amazing things will happen :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
Once a method to root, install revovery, custom rom, without tripping knox comes along, itll be crazy in here!

paul_59

Feb 6, 2011
This is my first Samsung phone, having previously had various HTC and latterly the Nexus 5.

Given the fact that Note 3 is reported to have sold over 10 million units, I have also been surprised at an apparent deficit in custom roms and general customisation compared to for example HTC One.

I do hope this will improve in time

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Sources for KK were released today, including the Kernel Source.. SO should make things more interesting,

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
Quality over quantity surely.

With the Note 3 and probably future Samsung devices, Samsung is making them harder to mess with , hence comment a few posts back. Samsung with kitkat has introduced code to make fake s view covers stop working. It's a similar thing to made for Apple, Samsung is starting the same stuff.

Dan-SRi

Aug 16, 2010
Dorset
Im quite happy with the development for the Note 3!

Got KK running nicely, option of CM, root is working. Lots of nice Xposed modules...

Its all looking nice.

That is for the N9005 though... Not sure about other variants...

Ry2mkk

Sep 8, 2012
Reminds me of a saying " Quantity doesn't represent Quality ! "

I'm quite happy with how things are coming along with the Note 3, I've come from a Note 2 and Galaxy S2 so Yeah i have been used to a mass supply of Roms on previous devices, But currently im testing out the new CM 11 builds ( nightlies) and X-note....Both are Fantastic roms!

My advice would simply be : Buy the Note 3 you wont regret it , You cant look at tech like it'll be supported forever.. just enjoy it whilst its here ;)
Look at all the older devices that are still supported on XDA - Note 2 for example; its bigger brother is out and yet he's still getting some love :D

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I am happy with current development of Note 3.

Lots doesn't means great.

Important is development quality.

G

GuestK00445

Once a Kitkat kernal source is released etc compatibility with new boot loader and other factors. We will start seeing more and more development and mods. Since Kitkat has been released/leaked it has kinda halted development due to boot loader and kernel. Once devs get a good grip on it boom amazing things will happen :)

I see, so you mean that development has slowed down because devs want to wait for kitkat and develop for it?

souljasteve84

Sep 2, 2011
Brisbane
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
The good news is Samsung has released there kernel source for Kitkat now it's only a matter of time till we start seeing custom kernels and custom roms with full customisation. Give it less then a week and we will see our first custom kernel for Kitkat then the ball will start rolling

G

GuestK00445

The good news is Samsung has released there kernel source for Kitkat now it's only a matter of time till we start seeing custom kernels and custom roms with full customisation. Give it less then a week and we will see our first custom kernel for Kitkat then the ball will start rolling

Hmm... then how come there are KitKat ROMs for Note 3 (Cyanogenmod nightlies) even before Samsung released the source? From what other posters have replied I gather it's not possible to develop a ROM without access the the kernel?

souljasteve84

Sep 2, 2011
Brisbane
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Hmm... then how come there are KitKat ROMs for Note 3 (Cyanogenmod nightlies) even before Samsung released the source? From what other posters have replied I gather it's not possible to develop a ROM without access the the kernel?

Well hmmmm lol yes there are custom kit Kat roms and yes they are great but no custom kernels for kit Kat, for me I am excited about custom kernels more then custom roms. So with the kernel source release kit Kat can finally have custom kernels which is great for development

G

GuestK00445

Well hmmmm lol yes there are custom kit Kat roms and yes they are great but no custom kernels for kit Kat, for me I am excited about custom kernels more then custom roms. So with the kernel source release kit Kat can finally have custom kernels which is great for development

Hmm I'm confused ><

I thought you need the kernel to have a ROM? If the KitKat kernel is not released, how do ppl develop KitKat ROMs? o.o

souljasteve84

Sep 2, 2011
Brisbane
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Hmm I'm confused ><

I thought you need the kernel to have a ROM? If the KitKat kernel is not released, how do ppl develop KitKat ROMs? o.o

Devs can still develop Kitkat roms but before the kernel source release only stock kernel was and could only be used. Now they can add custom kernels they build to the already built custom roms

G

GuestK00445

Devs can still develop Kitkat roms but before the kernel source release only stock kernel was and could only be used. Now they can add custom kernels they build to the already built custom roms

But how do you use the stock kernel without knowing the source? Don't you need the code to be able to incorporate it in your ROM?

Sorry if my questions are silly but I'm not very well versed in the technical aspects of Android :p