[Q] College

Search This thread

cashyftw

Sep 11, 2010
I'm just curious, I'm 18, and will be attending college at the end of the summer UT to be exact, and I'm not sure what I want to do after I finish my basics. I'm going for computer engineer, but I'm not not sure that's what i'm exactly trying to do, I want to build my own phone, and send it to manufacturers, but I'm not sure what class I should be taking for this, or even where to start?

Am I taking the right course? Or am I way off?

sutekidane

Jun 15, 2010
Macau SAR
If you really want to build your a phone from scratch, then you need to consider about electrical engineering instead. I am not implying CompE is a bad idea, but most school's CompE curriculum do not require the study of electromagnetic, fields/waves, communications, and barely touches on analog. Those courses are very essential to what you want to do. I am about to graduate in EE with a RF/microwave concentration, and these stuffs are no cake at all...

shreddintyres

Aug 25, 2010
Richardson, Tx
From one Texan to another i welcome you to one of the best states in America.
That said you probably want to either go into hardware engineer, electrical engineering, or do a dual major in Computer engineering and Electrical Engineering.

Good luck bro.

E

ECOTOX

Definitely go with EE and CE dual major, if your gonna be building it yourself you'll need to know both sides, software and hardware. I'm personally going for Game Software development, but in regards to any software the same rules can be applied that you learn in any degree that involves programming. If your wanting to get into working on android you'll need C, C++ (kernel and some other aspects are in these) and Java for the UI. Also gonna need some xml, html, and it never hurts to know some lua and C# =) I here mono & .NET are coming to android too

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
I would agree, and a double major in C.E. and E.E. would probably be best, but be prepared. Engineering isn't easy. I just finished up a Mechanical Engineering degree, and I can't imagine doing a double major in it. Also, your school will have a lot of clubs/teams you can join that can help you network to find an "in". Our school had an aerial robotics team, robotics team, formula s.a.e., etc. A lot of big companies show up for competitions, and networking there would def help you get your foot in the door. Plus, putting this on your resume looks good as long as it's a related field. Good luck, and prepare to lose a lot of sleep.

Last edited:

bearsfan85

Feb 26, 2010
Do a business major and hire people to build it for you. Then start your own company go public and do some inside trading :)

ecotox gave the answer I was going to

sakai4eva

Sep 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
@OP: I thought that this would be another lame question about what to do in life, seeking guidance, etc., but I see that you have an ambition and would merely want to know how to get there. Kudos to you, my friend, and I wish you succeed in life.

Sorry for being so off topic.
YEAHHHHHHHHHHH UT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refer to sig. You can't go off topic. Ever.

Do a business major and hire people to build it for you. Then start your own company go public and do some inside trading :)

ecotox gave the answer I was going to

I would have +1'ed, but looking at some of the greatest people in tech, and the richest, they started out as geeks and nerds. So, no, that doesn't work.