[GUIDE][ROOT][Mac][Linux]Epic 4G Touch Root on Mac or Linux using Heimdall!

Search This thread

StormCell

Jun 14, 2010
Bear Creek
Sorry for the dumb question:
When I go to the Heimdall website I don't see anything for Binaries or Heimdall 1.2.0 or actually to download anything. Granted I am a little borked from my root canal but still...

silversx80

Sep 24, 2008
Install Heimdall 1.2.0 (here) for command line binary and make sure you download the one for OSX.

Install. Also, decompress the kernel by double clicking it (will automatically extract the file).

Then, put your phone into download mode. After it's in DL mode, plug it into the USB port. Don't plug it in first.

Open Terminal in Applications>Utilities and navigate to directory where the kernel is.

Type "heimdall detect" exactly like it is in the quotes and hit return. If it can read your phone, it'll tell you "device detected". Then it's OK to flash. Exactly like Zedo had posted: heimdall flash --kernel zImage. It is case sensitive, so make sure that "I" is capitalized. Several moments and it'll be flashed.

Reactions: tersoth

g4me0v3r

Jan 21, 2009
California
Install Heimdall 1.2.0 for command line binary and make sure you download the one for OSX.

Install. Also, decompress the kernel by double clicking it (will automatically extract the file).

Then, put your phone into download mode. After it's in DL mode, plug it into the USB port. Don't plug it in first.

Open Terminal in Applications>Utilities and navigate to directory where the kernel is.

Type "heimdall detect" exactly like it is in the quotes and hit return. If it can read your phone, it'll tell you "device detected". Then it's OK to flash. Exactly like Zedo had posted: heimdall flash --kernel zImage. It is case sensitive, so make sure that "I" is capitalized. Several moments and it'll be flashed.

I had previously DL'd the 1.3.0 version already, is there anyway to go back a version?

Also, I tried this method just now. Still says "Claiming interface... Failed!"

Last edited:

thedeadletters

Dec 7, 2008
The Bastion
Installing Heimdall?

Thanks for the guide and kernel.
I'm on Mac OSX and I can't get the command line in Terminal working. When I open Terminal and type "Heimdall" I get:

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap
Computer Name:~ username$

I installed 1.3 and it didn't work. So I uninstalled (dragged and dropped into Recycle Bin/Deleted) and installed 1.2 command line. Ended up getting the same exact result. Am I supposed to go to a different directory? How can I check to see if Heimdall 1.2 Command Line is even installed?

Thanks in advance!

g4me0v3r

Jan 21, 2009
California
Spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to flash with OSX, gave me a headache, decided to switch over to Windows and flash using Odin. Took maybe 15 mins, even with dl'ing all the proper files.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
I'm on Mac OSX and I can't get the command line in Terminal working. When I open Terminal and type "Heimdall" I get:

Trace/BPT trap

I installed 1.3 and it didn't work. So I uninstalled (dragged and dropped into Recycle Bin/Deleted) and installed 1.2 command line. Ended up getting the same exact result. Am I supposed to go to a different directory? How can I check to see if Heimdall 1.2 Command Line is even installed?

Thanks in advance!

Try 1.2 binaries, 1.3 front-end for mac has known to have problems.

silversx80

Sep 24, 2008
I had previously DL'd the 1.3.0 version already, is there anyway to go back a version?

Also, I tried this method just now. Still says "Claiming interface... Failed!"

I have 1.3.0 and 1.2.0. Just install 1.2.0, no need to do anything with 1.3.0. You actually need 1.2.0 to use the command prompt, and it's different than 1.3.0. 1.3.0 is the GUI and doesn't give you access to the command line prompts.

Stupid question
When you type "heimdall detect", does it return "device detected"?

Trace/BPT trap

Thanks in advance!

Everything is case sensitive, so heimdall should be all lowercase. If you just type hiemdall (in all lowercase), I think it tells you that you need to give it a command... or tells you something about its version. I can't remember, but I can check when I get home. Also, double check that you installed the 1.2.0 Command Line binaries for OS X (Universal). It should have mounted a .dmg and had a pkg installation on that disk image.

thedeadletters

Dec 7, 2008
The Bastion
Thanks for the replies. I mistyped "Heimdall" in the post; I used all lowercase when I was in Terminal.

In any case, I did some research on this error and it seems like the problem is that I'm using Leopard and not Snow Leopard. Thanks, though.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Thanks for the replies. I mistyped "Heimdall" in the post; I used all lowercase when I was in Terminal.

In any case, I did some research on this error and it seems like the problem is that I'm using Leopard and not Snow Leopard. Thanks, though.

Make sure you are using 1.2 binaries for Mac, I haven't heard of one person who got 1.3 Heimdall working including myself.

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au

Hmm, that's not good. Theoretically Heimdall should work on any OS X version all the way back to Tiger and even run on PowerPC machines. I finally solved the OS X issues that delayed the 1.3.1 release by several weeks so I'm going to make a new release some time in the next 24 hours. If you could test the 1.3.1 release on your Leopard machine and then let me know if it works that would be fantastic.

I'm not sure why but the error you're getting suggests there was a problem finding libusb-1.0 at run time.

Reactions: studacris

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Hmm, that's not good. Theoretically Heimdall should work on any OS X version all the way back to Tiger and even run on PowerPC machines. I finally solved the OS X issues that delayed the 1.3.1 release by several weeks so I'm going to make a new release some time in the next 24 hours. If you could test the 1.3.1 release on your Leopard machine and then let me know if it works that would be fantastic.

I'm not sure why but the error you're getting suggests there was a problem finding libusb-1.0 at run time.

I get that libusb error on Windows and Mac, is there a certain library I have to install to get the GUI working??? Thanks for the software btw, it ROCKS!

thedeadletters

Dec 7, 2008
The Bastion

Wow! Talk about excellent customer service! I will most definitely try it once it's released and let you know how it works.

Thanks!!!

BTW - I'm using an iMac running 10.4.11 and a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Wow! Talk about excellent customer service! I will most definitely try it once it's released and let you know how it works.

Thanks!!!

BTW - I'm using an iMac running 10.4.11 and a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8.

Right, excellent customer service is the best thing in the world. GO HEIMDALL, I've been using heimdall over ODIN for all my development, makes my job so much easier and faster, recommended over Sammy's crappy ODIN crap.

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
I get that libusb error on Windows and Mac, is there a certain library I have to install to get the GUI working??? Thanks for the software btw, it ROCKS!
I think you might have gotten the errors slightly mixed up as the following error is OS X specific:

However, if you're able to copy and paste the exact errors you're getting then I'll see if I can find out what is going on.

Reactions: studacris

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
should debug mode be on or off?

I tried to flash twice, and got the "claiming interface failed" message both times..
heimdall 1.2 installed properly, and, I have the image file in the right spot..

thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Video tutorial:
    For those of you who want to root your Epic 4G Touch on a Mac or Linux, you can using this open-source tool called Heimdall.

Here's how to root your Epic 4G Touch on Mac or Linux.

Step 1. Put your Epic 4G Touch in Download Mode by holding down Volume Down button and Power button together for about 10 seconds then hit Volume Up button. Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.

Step 2. Go download the appropriate binaries for your Mac (OSX) or Linux 32-bit or 64bit at glassechidna.com.au

Get the file with "Binary" or "Binaries".

For Mac, you will get a .DMG file you can install and for Linux, you will get a .deb file you can install.

Install these files and open up a command prompt and type:

heimdall

You should get a bunch of syntax stuff, if so that's good, you have heimdall installed and working.

Step 3. Go download a rooted kernel, I recommend Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel v3:

Download Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel v3

*Note - You can also download any other kernel .tar file of your liking.

Step 4. Browse to the directory you've download the tar file by using command "cd":

cd /home/myusername/Downloads

Step 5. Untar the tar file:

tar xvf SPH-D710_Zedomax_EpicTouchKernel-v3.tar

Step 5. Double-check you have a zImage file in the directory by typing:
    ls -l

Step 7. Type the following to flash:

heimdall flash --kernel zImage

Step 8. Reboot and you can check that you've rooted your phone by going to Settings->About phone and see "ZedomaxEpicTouchKernel" in Kernel version.

Also you will see a new app called "Superuser" in apps.

Congrats, you've been rooted with a Linux or Mac.

*****Want to thank me?*****

Subscribe to my email list at Epic 4g Touch Root, subscribe to my YouTube channel and sign up for membership at ACSyndicate.net.

*****Contact*****
    Want to contact me?
    Add me on GooglePlus:
    https://plus.google.com/105122758270056069711

Add me on Facebook:
    http://facebook.com/howtoblog

And me on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zedomax
    Worked quick and easy on my mid 2011 iMac. For more Mac friendly commands for people who aren't familiar with command lines in Terminal I suggest adding the following:

Default download directory:
    cd /Users/myusername/Downloads (Users instead of Home)

In Finder, Untar the file by double clicking. (As someone already mentioned)

heimdall flash --kernel zImage (Remains the same command).

Definitely the simplest command line root I've done. Thanks again!
    reserved

os_couples.jpg

reserved for funny cat LOL photos.
    Did this yesterday on MacBook Pro, 64-bit. Works as advertised, pretty simple. One quick tip, don't need to unpack the tar in heimdall; a double-click will do the trick... just gotta remember where you put it (and make sure you're in the right directory).

nice, thx for the cool tip bud.
    Downloads of your kernel are not working via http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/...ernel/SPH-D710_Zedomax_EpicTouchKernel-v3.tar do you have an alternate download link? downloadandroidrom.com is broken as ****. I tried 3 browsers on linux as well as windows.

This thread is from 2011.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app