[APP][14.Aug][v1.3] "Back FavPeople Up!" - Backup/Restore of TouchFlo Favorite people

Search This thread

TeknoJnky

Nov 17, 2008
Good requests, but these are trivial to backup from the registry or file system. Get SASHIMI (see my sig), read its manual, then setup SASHIMI to back all these items up using its INI files.

The OP has a solution for backup up something which is *not* trivial, since the HTC favorites are buried inside pim.vol, a file with almost all other PIM data, in a relatively obscure binary database file format. Backing up and restoring the entire file is not a good idea, since its format may change between ROMs, and you might get problems with duplicates in Outlook etc.

I haven't looked into facebook connections, but the rest of your requests are located here:

Your contact card: HKCU\Software\HTC\People\OwnerInfo
WM owner info: HKCU\ControlPanel\Owner
Weather cities: HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila\Weather.CityList
World Clock cities: HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila\WorldClock.CityList
Start menu/Programs panel: HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila\ProgramLauncher

Yes, but it would be so much better (from a user standpoint of course) to have them all backed up and restored from one app/click.

Also, please add tf3d stockmarket settings to the list. :)

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Great tool. Will try it after the next flash.
Any chance your tool could include backups of stocks, time zones, and weather cities?

I have not thought of this because the primarily reason for me to pick up my programming hat was the frustration of having to manually select my favorite contacts after each ROM flash (and I do it every other day).

I have to think about it, but more importantly if I have time for it, as this is a scope-creep :D :D It's not that difficult since these settings are either in file or registry form, versus the favorite contacts that are embedded in the POOM-based database that requires abit of trial and error and research.

But I agree with you and some that it'll be a good tool to have to backup all the settings related to Manila. Maybe I will do a 'Manila Backup Utility' in my next major release.

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
This is not working with Manila 2d version 2 (Mega)the Manage Contacts and the Manage Ring tones are both grayed out and i can't untick them or change,
when i do the back-up the app finds my contacts but backs up 0 ,
I then tried to restore and the app just freezes :eek:

Is this for touchflo 3d only ?

Graphics size up fine on qvga :)

Great app just whats needed ;) please fix this for Manila 2D as this forum has many Manila users :cool:

my apologises, this only tested and worked in Touchflo3d, because I do not have manila 2D to check.

At this point, the checkbox are grayed out because I have not enabled the user choice feature yet, so it's always backing up both attributes of the contact.

Why it's 0 contact, because at this point it would only backup the ringtone if its a HTC favorite contact. So if you have ringtone assigned to this contact but he/she is not in your favorite people tab, this contact is not archived. Next version would backup all contacts' ringtone.

And the reason for your freeze, probably I have not taken into consideration the scenario where the file is zero size :D Sorry about that.

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
managed to flash a ROM that has manila 2.5. Apart from using the contact's category to determine if the contact is the favorite in the people tab, there's also other information used to determine the default contact method as well as the favorite ordering. The next version, I would incorporate these so as to facilitate the migration from manila 2.1 to 2.5, as well as for usual backup/restore purposes.

Screen01.jpg

Last edited:

wapvirus

Jan 24, 2008
London
my apologises, this only tested and worked in Touchflo3d, because I do not have manila 2D to check.

At this point, the checkbox are grayed out because I have not enabled the user choice feature yet, so it's always backing up both attributes of the contact.

Why it's 0 contact, because at this point it would only backup the ringtone if its a HTC favorite contact. So if you have ringtone assigned to this contact but he/she is not in your favorite people tab, this contact is not archived. Next version would backup all contacts' ringtone.

And the reason for your freeze, probably I have not taken into consideration the scenario where the file is zero size :D Sorry about that.

Thanks for your reply and i hope that this will also work for manila 2d one day soon as this will be a must have application in my opinion :)

keeping an eye here hoping to see manila 2D in it's listings :)

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Is there any way you can make this work for the newest Builds of 6.5.x? Seems that you make a call to pocket outlook, maybe you have version number in there and it is getting error due to version number? Apparently PocketOutlook has changed somehow in builds 23024-23025(hope it soesnt stay, but thought I would forwarn that there copuld be issues eventually)

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Is there any way you can make this work for the newest Builds of 6.5.x? Seems that you make a call to pocket outlook, maybe you have version number in there and it is getting error due to version number? Apparently PocketOutlook has changed somehow in builds 23024-23025(hope it soesnt stay, but thought I would forwarn that there copuld be issues eventually)

what's the error message you get?

I didn't make any call that's verision specific. IT's a standard WM API interface.

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Thanks for your reply and i hope that this will also work for manila 2d one day soon as this will be a must have application in my opinion :)

keeping an eye here hoping to see manila 2D in it's listings :)

can you pm me your email, I send you a beta version that suppose to work for manila 2.5, and maybe itll work for manila 2d as well.

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
just release version 1.3!

back-favpeople-up2.gif

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen04.jpg
    Screen04.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen05.jpg
    Screen05.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen06.jpg
    Screen06.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen07.jpg
    Screen07.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen03.jpg
    Screen03.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen02.jpg
    Screen02.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen08.jpg
    Screen08.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 12

the guitarist

Sep 6, 2008
Thanks For this Great APP .. i've been doing this manually for ages .. what a Relief ..

anyway Does This even backup and restore the Facebook associations ?

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Thanks, I think there is a build problem. Your app is great. M$ has changed some things which have caused problems. Easy enough to use parts from a previous build(GAC**.dll)

good to hear that.

for folks who are using manila 2.5, please let me know if the favorite contact order is being backup and restored correctly. Obviously when you first moved from manila 2.1 to 2.5, your ordering will be based on the alphabet order since in 2.1, the backup will not have the order information. Let me know if you have any problem.

Also, the ringtone setting can be backup/restored, but the files need to be backup/restore separately using sashimi or pimbackup. I'm not adding the latter since there's other way to do the job.

the guitarist

Sep 6, 2008
no this doesn't. I've not looked at facebook.vol database structure and I'm not sure if I've the mean to do that anyway.

i really hope that u do .. as it's a really long process to click on each contact name and associate it with one of the friends you have on the facebook list ..

i hope we'll see that on a future release and pretty soon ..

is there a manual way to backup the facebook associations?

thanks for your time and response :)

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
i really hope that u do .. as it's a really long process to click on each contact name and associate it with one of the friends you have on the facebook list ..

i hope we'll see that on a future release and pretty soon ..

is there a manual way to backup the facebook associations?

thanks for your time and response :)

the only way is to backup the .vol file in the root directory. But it may not work if the vol contains the x-ref of the facebook ids and the pim id in the pim.vol. the pim id may change after a new sync session.

Yarda_Yardovic

Aug 25, 2009
No contact saving

Hi,
I've instaled this contact back up application and than i tried to back up my contact in my HTC TP2 (prior that I created a folder for contacts' back up on storage card). App scanned all the contact in phone but none of the was saved - "0 contacts saved".
Do you have any comments what am I doing wrong :confused: ?
THX

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
Hi,
I've instaled this contact back up application and than i tried to back up my contact in my HTC TP2 (prior that I created a folder for contacts' back up on storage card). App scanned all the contact in phone but none of the was saved - "0 contacts saved".
Do you have any comments what am I doing wrong :confused: ?
THX

do you have any contacts selected in the people tab?

do you have any contacts that has a ringtone assigned?

remember this is not to backup all your contacts, but only your favorite contacts and/or contacts with ringtone assigned.